Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

were you nervous to eat

Hi All,

I am 2 weeks out and today can move to things like cottage cheese, tuna fish. I am feeling very nervous about starting to actually eat. Is that weird? did you experience that? I am getting used to the liquid (although it isn't much fun) and I am doing good. I am afraid I will hurt something. I know it doesn't sound rational..

Diane

I think everyone is probably nervous with that first bite or two. Just take it slow & ENJOY the flavors. You can do this!

dybarra, I had the exact same feelings you are having. I was really scared to eat anything. Just take it slow and you will be fine. Chew everything very well and eat slowly. It's just a learning process, but I think your fears are very normal.

Good Luck.

I am STILL nervous whenever I try anything new or cooked in a different way. I think this is natural (and healthy) and keeps us on the right path for as long as possible!

Ditto for me and now at 5 months out I still use caution. It's a gradual learning process. You might want to start with yogurts and cooked warm cereals like cream of wheat or oatmeal, (if you haven't already). I do best with broiled fish, and boiled shrimp. tuna was difficult for me early out and I haven't tried to eat it since. Like the previous posts, just take it slow and easy and you will find what works for you.

Well....... here's what happened. I tried cottage cheese. Measured out 1/4 cup, took a few bites and out it came. I felt horrible until it did.

I hope this gets better!?

Thanks for all your input

Cottage cheese didn't go over well with me either or ricotta!! Two cheeses that are soft. I tried both at about 4 weeks out. I kept it down though. I suggest you try Cream of Wheat, Uncle Ben Instant Healthy Grain, as per instructions. I use about half packet after it's cooked I add some milk and then I wisk a scoop of Solgar's vanilla whey Protein Powder into the mix, I add a tablespoon of pure maple Syrup but you can use whatever sweetner you prefer. It's creamy, warm, and full of Protein. Your kind of early out so don't be too hard on yourself. It took me a very long time before I could get eating. I hope things get better for you soon.

Hi Dybarra and welcome! I'm almost 3 weeks out and I've still been on mushies from the fear. I just now put about 3 oz of chicken in the blender, put in in a Soup bowl with a piece of cheese on top and viola!. Last night I tried eating a VERY small piece of chicken and was very full before I could finish it. I know I didn't get enough Protein in to even count so I'm all about the Protein Shakes and now...puree chicken:) We'll get used to it in time.

Hi there and thanks for your quick responses. I know I need to settle down. The first thing I am thinking is oh my god, is this going to be the way it is.... freaks me out a little.

I was allowed cream of wheat and yogurt last week and had no problem with that. Maybe I need to try something else besides cottage cheese. The things recommended by the surgeon for this week were cottage cheese, tuna or salmon smashed with a fork, refried beans.... I can't imagine the tuna going down if the cottage cheese wouldn't.

I will just have to keep working at it.

Thank you

Heck, I was afraid to move from Clear liquids to full liquids yesterday, so I really get it. I was so afraid I'd suddenly be hungry!

You're doing great!

Hi there and thanks for your quick responses. I know I need to settle down. The first thing I am thinking is oh my god, is this going to be the way it is.... freaks me out a little.

I was allowed cream of wheat and yogurt last week and had no problem with that. Maybe I need to try something else besides cottage cheese. The things recommended by the surgeon for this week were cottage cheese, tuna or salmon smashed with a fork, refried Beans.... I can't imagine the tuna going down if the cottage cheese wouldn't.

I will just have to keep working at it.

Thank you

Salmon goes down so well for me, it's so moist and soft. I taste tested some already seasoned salmon at costco and it was so good. This was btw, when I first started to eat solid food. I bought a box of the salmon which came in already portioned individually wrapped frozen packages. It worked out great I just took one piece out let it thaw and broiled it. For a while I could only eat half and so I put the rest in the fridge and had it the next day. I also find shrimp, (boiled) and then seasoned to taste are very easy to eat, also high in Protein.

You are not alone in this feeling. In fact, I stayed on soft solids longer because I could get in my Protein without eating dense/heavy Protein. I literally lived on deli meat with cream cheese, tuna and chicken salad for quite some time. I could eat some chinese food meat like chicken/broccoli or beef/broccoli but it had to be super soft. I didn't push solid foods for awhile just because I was doing so well on what I was I doing, I didn't want to risk getting sick again.

Tuna with light mayo or miracle whip worked really well for me.

I hate cottage cheese so I never even attempted it. It's scary when something doesn't work. I did eat Pasta sauce, like Prego/Ragu mixed with ricotta cheese that went down really well, and was a nice change in flavor profiles.

Try just 1ounce of something to begin with and then try 2 ounces if you are able to get it down, and it stay down.

Thank you all for the suggestions.... I will for sure try them. I have gotten myself worked up the for the first time since my surgery and feel fearful. It was an awful feeling having that food kind of "stuck" and feeling like my chest was going to burst after 2 bites. Once it was up it was fine but I sure hope not to repeat that. I guess I have to have my brain catch up to my new stomach and be patient with myself. I keep having to remind myself that this is all a process.

I don't know what I would do without being able to come here for reassurance and knowledge from all of you! Thank you

Diane