Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many felt nauseous the after surgery?

Hello, I was sleeved yesterday and was wondering how may people felt nauseated post-op? and if so how long it took to go away? I have recieved meds but, i'm hoping this wont continue.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Yes nausea is common. I was in the hospital an extra day because of it and to me it was the worst part of recovery. Thankfully though it goes away soon. I felt better by the 6th day or so. The only nausea I've had since then (I'm 4 wks out) is from taking pills on an empty stomach, which never bothered me before the sleeve, but I can work around that pretty easily. Congratulations on getting sleeved! Hope you have a smooth recovery.

My nausea went away when I left the hospital, but it was kinda bad when I was there. HOnestly there was some stuff from surgery that I needed to get outa my body. Some nausea is PRODUCTIVE so I'd be careful how much meds you take for it. If it is a matter of something needing to get out, then it is needed. The only way I knew is b/c it was brown blood from my surgery. THe last time I threw up I knew that was the bottom of it. ANd wala! the nausea was gone.

MellaElla, I didn't suffer from nausea. I had my Sleeve on the 17th, so I'm 4 days out. Today my big incision is causing me a lot of pain and I'm coughing which hurts like a bear. My energy is not as good today as yesterday so I'm having a movie day and relaxing. I'm sipping just fine. A cold mix of sobe Vitamin Water 0 calories mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with cold Water. I also love fruit juice popsicles. I haven't tried warm fluids yet. Tomorrow I move to full liquids.

I hope you feel better!!

I had surgery on Monday morning, no nausea until the middle of the night my first night home (between Tues. and Wed.). I woke up dry heaving, about 1 a.m., had to sit up in bed with a bucket and every time I started to nod off, I'd dry heave again for another couple minutes. This lasted til 4a.m., I got up when my fiance was getting ready for work and sat up in the desk chair until 8a.m. when I called my bariatric clinic. Then Dr. prescribed two different nausea meds ( a suppository & a tablet). I took a dose of each that afternoon and didn't have nausea again after that! :blushing:

Hello, I was sleeved yesterday and was wondering how may people felt nauseated post-op? and if so how long it took to go away? I have recieved meds but, i'm hoping this wont continue.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

well i guess i was in that percentage who was lucky enough not to have any problems. if i did have anything going on it was short lived and not enough to talk about. . . in the hospital i had a small bout of nausea, but nothing big, they just gave me some phenergen once and i was fine. . . after i came home i have never had any nausea at all. . . i'm sorry this is happening to you, nausea is definately not a good thing to have. . .

Immediately after surgery I was very nauseous. The nurses gave me every anti sickness medicine going it was so bad, I wondered how I was going to cope. The weird thing was that when I had the pain meds it stopped the nausea. Although I was given anti nausea meds to come home with, I didn't take any I just kept up with the pain meds and after a few days I stopped them aand have been fine since. It'll pass soon I'm sure

Thanks to everyone who replied with there experience.I'm feeling better already.Thanks again

Immediately after surgery I was very nauseous. The nurses gave me every anti sickness medicine going it was so bad, I wondered how I was going to cope. The weird thing was that when I had the pain meds it stopped the nausea.

Same here: the anti nausea medication in the hospital didn't help, but the pain meds did. Perhaps my body was just confused. For me it ended pretty much a day and a half after the surgery. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine in a day or two.

I had it right after surgery, and it was gone, for the most part... in a couple of days. It does go away. I felt good after the first two days, but then they had me start on the Nexium Mups, and it made me nauseated and such again. Not taking that, and have been fine ever since (switched to Prevacid). If you feel any nausea, do let them know... Dr. Aceves' staff is REALLY good about getting that under control right away. :001_smile:

Yes I was very nauseated right after I woke up. Anethesia does it to me every time! The Anesthesiologist said he would make sure he added something to the anethesis for the nausea. Either he forgot or it didn't work. Lots of dry heaves. It lasted about 18 hours and that was the last of it. Have not been nauseated since I left the hospital.

Ella, I'm glad to read that you're feeling better. I think that it's amazing how much we can improve, day to day! You go girl! We're gonna see these pounds just slip right off these hips! :001_tongue:

Congrats on your sleeving, the nausea will go away in a couple of days. I had my surgery on feb. 1 and feel absolutely great. This forum is really great! Congrats again!