Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I have high expectations?

Hi everyone! Let me introduce myself since this is my first time here. My name is Victor and I am 24 years old. I am currently in Med School (studying abroad). And I have been dealing with weight issues all my life. Ever since I could remember I've been on and off diets. I have never reached my "ideal" weight. With that said, I will be getting a VSG on April due to my class schedule (wouldn't mind getting it tomorrow but I have to wait till my vacations). The surgery will be done in Florida.

I measure 5'7 and my weigh in at 235; that gives me a BMI of 36.8

What should I expect after being sleeved? I am very anxious.. Never been "thin" in my life. If diet and exercise is in check, can I loose 50 lbs by December?

Thanks in advance for you support! This forum is very motivating!

First of all, welcome.

I'm sure that is possible. One person lost 53 pounds in 7 weeks and recently posted her success.

Edited by MINI-Me

I think yes . you can do it definitely. I lost 57 pounds in 3 monthes and half. I don't really exercise. if you exercise, you will get less stalls than I do.

I think my opinion about the sleeve is "anything is possible if you're willing to put in the work".

Stalls are typically inevitable, but if you put your mind to it, you will succeed with the sleeve.

Men typically lose a little faster than women. Exercising obviously helps by building lean muscle, you'll burn fat faster.

Post-op, expect a few bumps here and there, because most people have them. liquid post-op diet for a couple of weeks, slowly progress to the next food stage.

You'll get out of the sleeve, what you put into it.

I always remind myself that "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels".

I haven't been this weight since junior high school. Living life thin is fabulous, and eating with the sleeve after the post-op diet, healing time is pretty effortless.

I bet you'll have 50 lbs. gone by October! How wonderful that you're taking this step so early in your life and that it's an available option for you. I hope you become a bariatric surgeon. :frown1:

Thanks everyone! I love everybody's attitude on this forum. My dad himself is a Surgeon, but not bariatric though. I am one year away of being an intern in the hospital and do aspire of becoming a Surgeon as well. Can't wait to get my sleeve :frown1:

Hi everyone! Let me introduce myself since this is my first time here. My name is Victor and I am 24 years old. I am currently in Med School (studying abroad). And I have been dealing with weight issues all my life. Ever since I could remember I've been on and off diets. I have never reached my "ideal" weight. With that said, I will be getting a VSG on April due to my class schedule (wouldn't mind getting it tomorrow but I have to wait till my vacations). The surgery will be done in Florida.

I measure 5'7 and my weigh in at 235; that gives me a BMI of 36.8

What should I expect after being sleeved? I am very anxious.. Never been "thin" in my life. If diet and exercise is in check, can I loose 50 lbs by December?

Thanks in advance for you support! This forum is very motivating!

Victor, welcome. . first off let me congratulate you on your decision to have the VSG. . second off i'm glad you found us, we are always here for you if you need us. . . well victor, let me tell you. . in 7 short weeks after my surgery i have lost 53 lbs. . . so you see it is dueable. . however, you get what you put into it. . . as a medical person you understand that. . . the first week or so after surgery it's feels really weird, can't explain it, but it does . . . you will have to relearn to eat, and drink again. . . in the beginning i hated my sleeve but then got used to doing what i was supposed to do. . . the sleeve doesn't allow you to gulp fluids anymore, you will be full (turkey dinner full) after a few mouthfuls . . . for example here is what my day menu for today consists of. . .

Breakfast

Protein shake and a baby teaspoon of flaxseed sugar free, low fat Peanut Butter. (200 calories)

Lunch:

3 slices of 98% fat free ham (60 calories)

Dinner:

2 oz extra lean ground hamburger, made into tiny little meatballs soaked with teriyaki sauce

3 small brusselsprouts (165 calories)

Evening Snack:

4 oz Dannon Light N Fit yogurt frozen (60 calories)

Total calories for the day 485 . . . I drink alot of Water along with decaff coffee. . . I try to keep my calories anywhere from 500 - 600 per day no more. . .

You will do great as long as you follow the doctor orders and ignore the head hunger. . . once you get over that you will just fly through the weight loss. . . they say it takes 30 days to change a habit. . . well this overeating thing has been a bad habit of ours for a long time, takes alot of work to change it. . . but it can be done.! Good luck:biggrin0:

Edited by thinoneday

Welcome Victor,

Yes I believe you can lose 50 in a short period. I started at 362 pounds so I know

I will drop weight faster than you at 235, but I have dropped 42 in four weeks. So

you being a guy, like Tiff said we have an advantage over the beautiful ladies on

this site, our gender. You should be fine.

Absolutely.