Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm losing my hair!!!!!

I've been told by others that they took all these things as well, and that it did not help. Hair loss is normal for weight loss surgery. If you read online about hair loss, it says it comes from a shock to the body, such as surgery, or weight loss.

Everyone can try any supplements that they wish to try to prevent it, but I've read in other forums about people taking all these things, and lost hair anyway.

well i am almost 12 wks out and my hair was already thin and right now it is just getting thinner. can see my scalp in and conditioner from sally's called nioxin. i was using merells Vitamins but my hair dresser suggested the bioxin, she said it works better. will try that. right now it is not coming out by chucks. thinking about getting some extension. even asked my husband what he thought about some dreadlocks for fun!!!!

I used Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner for 6 months after surgery and it didn't do anything for me, other than dry out my hair.< /strong>

qd is "nursespeak" for "once a day".

Geesh...one more worry. I am pretty close to my goal 25-30lbs. Do you think I will still lose hair? ?:scared0:I didn't with the lapband, as a matter of fact I grew my hair out! I always had short hair. I am loving my hair, please say it isn't so!!!:confused1:

:sad0:Is this Hair loss a hundred percent phenomenon? Do all the people who have gotten the surgery done experienced that? I already have thinning hair and with this effect i would have to stay indoors now for my hair loss.:confused1:

My hair was shedding about as much as my two cats! When I washed my hair that's when I was grabbing fist fulls of hair and shocked at how much I was shedding. I have been taking bioitin and Evening Primrose oil once or twice a day and I noticed the last time I shampoo'd the amount of loss was decreased significantly. I now have (no bald patches) but a very thin sparse looking head of hair. I still dye the roots back to brown, since I've had gray/silvers since age 21! I too resigned myself to buying a wig if necessary. But, I am confident that it's slowing down as my ability to eat Protein increases...I think after a while my system will adjust and hopefully soon I'll see some new growth. Summer is coming and my hair usually grows faster during the summer.

I think I'll try using the Shampoo and conditioner that Tiff is using I bet it will help. Thanks Tiff.

i have long hair, and usually have some Hair loss anyways when i wash it, so would it help to cut it shorter? i hate to do that but if it helps with the loss then im doin it!

Stuck, I lost most of my weight with the band too. I lost lots of hair with band surgery and lots more with sleeve surgery, even though I hadn't gained that much back so I didn't have much weight to lose this time either.

Maybe since you didn't lose hair with band surgery, you won't this time either.

Hope, there is no way to know. My friend had sleeve surgery a week after me, and she didn't lose nearly as much hair as I have.

I didn't lose any hair with my band surgery. I lost about 23 pounds within the first 2-3 months, but never had Hair loss.

I lost major amounts with the sleeve. I just recently noticed a little more coming out in the shower and I'm 3 weeks out of gallbladder surgery. I'm not sure if it's just normal shedding, or if it's a result of another surgery.

i have long hair, and usually have some Hair loss anyways when i wash it, so would it help to cut it shorter? i hate to do that but if it helps with the loss then im doin it!

why would you cut your hair? I have really long hair (to my butt and I'm 6 foot tall) there is no way i'm cutting it, what is to be is to be. . .that is how i look at it, plus with more hair, you can do neat things to hide the thinning. . . good luck

Ok, now I am petrified. My hair started thining due to stress years ago. You can see through it now. I wonder if I will go bald? This is the first time I've heard about this drastic Hair loss issue.

Thanks for the tips!!!

:-) Jen

Has anyone also taken Pre-natal Vitamins? That's what my Dr. told me, although I'm gonna add the Biotin as well. I'm only 3 weeks post op but just in case I'm starting now with all these supplements. I have very thin and few hair to start with so I'm very worried! :drool5:

Hi! I actually just posted about this topic on this forum (hair loss... here to help). Take a look and pm me if you need anything!!!!!