Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Coffee... How Naughty, Really?

Alright, so I can't/won't give up my coffee in the morning. It's a power cup of java with powdered Creamer and three packets of Splenda. It's a large mug of which I drink about half. Two questions; how bad is it really and, I drink it right after I take my Nexium. I think the Nexium part is more my concern - that the coffee might be washing away the benefits of the Nexium which is the last thing I need...

Anyone else a coffee sinner? Just how bad is it? I know the docs all say it's the worst thing in the world but that is their job, no?

Thanks guys, I know I can always come here for "in the trenches" advice... :001_smile:

Carol

Alright, so I can't/won't give up my coffee in the morning. It's a power cup of java with powdered creamer and three packets of Splenda. It's a large mug of which I drink about half. Two questions; how bad is it really and, I drink it right after I take my Nexium. I think the Nexium part is more my concern - that the coffee might be washing away the benefits of the Nexium which is the last thing I need...

Anyone else a coffee sinner? Just how bad is it? I know the docs all say it's the worst thing in the world but that is their job, no?

Thanks guys, I know I can always come here for "in the trenches" advice... :001_smile:

Carol

I LOVE MY COFFEE, however, (always a however) doctor told me that the regular caffinated one isn't good for us because it could cause stomach upset and possible ulcers. . .but if i switch to Decaf, it's not as harsh on our tender tummies. . . decaf is good enough for me. . . as long as i have something called coffee! I love decaf cause now i can drink it at night before bed and not worry about a sleepless night either . . . :biggrin0:

I must confess that I have my one cup of coffee a day also. I use sugar free creamer and most days I only drink about half of the cup. I have some Decaf that I occasionally drink later in the day but I haven't been able to give up my one cup in the morning.

I so want to add caffeine back in ... but I am going to hold strong (barely!) ... I might try to add it back in around 3 months out.

But, don't worry. Your secret is safe with me!

I tried my first coffee since surgery earlier this week. I work at a coffeeshop and made myself the weekly special - so I used (all sugarfree) white chocolate, raspberry, and strawberry flavorings, 1 shot espresso, skim milk. I could only drink half, so about 8 oz. and that took me an hour and a half! By then it was cold. I just made sure I added some extra Water that day and didn't count the coffee drink toward my 64 oz. of Fluid (my dietitian has told me to count everything I drink, counting shakes too, WOOT!) I've also had the occasional cup of non-decaf tea here lately. I figure if you're getting all your water and the coffee is on top of that, should be okay. :001_smile:

Alright, so I can't/won't give up my coffee in the morning. It's a power cup of java with powdered creamer and three packets of Splenda. It's a large mug of which I drink about half. Two questions; how bad is it really and, I drink it right after I take my Nexium. I think the Nexium part is more my concern - that the coffee might be washing away the benefits of the Nexium which is the last thing I need...

Carol

Hi Carol!

I am in the same boat.

I can not stop drinking coffee.

I usually have 2 cups a morning.

I had surgery on 1-28 and I tried to quit. I actually did ok for the first several days but as soon as I had to go back to work it was on again!!

I try to drink a lot of Water but really I dont get a gallon of that down a day either.

Please tell me I am not damaging my sleeve.

:thumbup1::thumbup:

I don't think we are damaging our sleeves but possibly creating more acid and therefore false hunger... I might try one of two things; a. Decaf (ughhhh!) or b. coffee and then nexium and see what that does.

Nexium first, wait 30 minutes, then coffee.

It doesn't count as part of your 64ounces of fluids, because it's caffeinated and is a natural diuretic.

So amp up the Water intake, to make sure you don't tinkle everything away.

The Nexium will be absorbed into your bloodstream and still give you the benefit of a PPI. It doesn't really coat your tummy so Nexium wait 30 minutes, and then enjoy your coffee.< /span>

I have coffee occasionally, with GASP, full fat french vanilla or caramel machiatto creamer, and 2 Splenda. I rarely have more than 10-12 ounces, but it definitely keeps things moving. If I ever feel like I need to get things moving, 8 ounces of coffee is almost as good as Miralax.< /span>

I have been drinking 1/2 caff/decaf, about 3/4 cup, with sugarfree choc Syrup and top it off with soy milk every morning after my prilosec and it goes down great. I have to say by the end of the day my stomach is still full from lunch but I get that hunger feeling so wonder if my stomach acid is too much, or need more/better medicine? I only take one prilosec 20mg. Do I need more?

these days i have given up coffee don't seem worth it anymore without all the sugar so i just gave it up but i was drinking the protien click coffee for a while but now i'm sick of it.................

xoxo,

nikki

Hi Nikki!

Wait! Protien Click coffee?

What is that?

I am having a tough time getting all my protien in.

I have been told that I should be getting 70gms and let me say I fall way way short.

I drink my coffee with equal and sugar free vanilla creamer.