Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG for Lower BMI - HELP!

I have always been about 30 lbs overweight. I have gone on numerous diets and have been able to lose 20 lbs back and forth for years. Last year I became pregnant with twins and gained over 80 lbs. My girls are now 4 months old and while I've been successful at getting some of the weight off I have about 50 lbs I still need to lose.

I tried to do this through exercise and diet (even hiring a trainer for 3 days a week) since December and I have hit a plateau. I'm very tired of constantly having to manage my weight and yo yoing back and forth.

After alot of research I am seriously considering the VSG procedure. I consulted with a local surgeon and also Dr. Aceves in Mexico. Since I am self pay obviously both are willing to do it however the local surgeon asked me to consider if I was willing to undergo a rough surgery to lose a measly 50 lbs which isn't even guaranteed.

I really wanted to reach out to this forum for some answers and informed opinions. Some of the questions I have include:

1. Has anyone had a relatively low BMI (30-31) with only 50 lbs to lose and been successful?
  2. How fast did you lose the weight?
  3. Were all of the side effects after the surgery worth it?
  4. Is there anyone who has had it for a while and regrets it?
  5. Is it possible that with a starting low BMI you can not lose enough weight because the VSG causes you to eat too little?

Any input from you would be greatly appreciated.

While everyone is a different, I would strongly suggest doing a bit more research before making such a drastic change to your body. You will still need to manage your weight and watch what you eat to be successful and healthy.

I am also a "lightweight" (BMI was 33) and have fought being overweight my entire life - a lot of it is genetics. My immediate family is all morbidly obese & I could see the future ahead of me with increasing numbers in the "bad" lab categories. My final wake-up call was when my dad passed away from obesity-related complications last year.

If you look at the stats and see that VSG is for you, then by all means, have the surgery. We will be here to support you. ;) As far as your questions, I have put my answers below. However, I am only 3 weeks out so hopefully some long-timers can address them as well:

1. Has anyone had a relatively low BMI (30-31) with only 50 lbs to lose and been successful?

1. How fast did you lose the weight? I have lost 18 pounds in 3 weeks. First week was 10 and 8 in the following 2 weeks.
    2. Were all of the side effects after the surgery worth it? For me yes - this surgery is keeping me from following my genetic path of any early death or being around to see my kids have grandchildren.
    3. Is there anyone who has had it for a while and regrets it? Can't answer that one past the 3 weeks. But for me, no regrets.
    4. Is it possible that with a starting low BMI you can not lose enough weight because the VSG causes you to eat too little? I think everyone slows down as they get close to goal. I don't expect to lose 30+ pounds my first month or two. But, time will tell how I really do.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you decide to do.

I'm 51 and have been a yo-yo dieter since I was 9. Like you, I was 20-30 lbs overweight until I had my son, then I gained up to about a 34 BMI after he was born. I lost 65 lbs on my own about 15 years ago, and then it started creeping back and now I've regained all but about 15 pounds of it.

So yes, I'm having the VSG to lose about 50-60 pounds. I'm 5'2" tall and my current BMI is 32-33. My weight has been a nightmare for me for my entire life and I think 40 years-plus of dieting is enough to show I can't maintain a normal weight permanently by any kind of reasonable means. (While I kept the majority of my weight off, I was doing 15 hours of high-intensity martial arts a week plus dieting like crazy. That's just no longer realistic for me.)

As for side effects, I'm well aware of the risks, I'm well aware recovery can be rough, and to me it's all worth it to get this obesity monkey off my back.

For what it's worth, my surgeon tells me it should be entirely possible for me to lose 50 pounds and get to my goal weight.

Mini-Me, thanks for sharing your experience! It's really encouraging to me!

Thank you so much for your candid answers. I keep going back and forth with my decision....On the one hand this is an irreversible permanent change to my body on the other if I lose the weight now without doing something more permanent I'm convinced I will only gain the weight once again.

I wish there was more research on low bmi patients and their success with this....It would be my luck that I go through all this and my body rebels and holds on to the weight.

Thank you so much for your candid answers. I keep going back and forth with my decision....On the one hand this is an irreversible permanent change to my body on the other if I lose the weight now without doing something more permanent I'm convinced I will only gain the weight once again.

I wish there was more research on low bmi patients and their success with this....It would be my luck that I go through all this and my body rebels and holds on to the weight.

I seriously doubt your body will hold on to the weight. You are going to be eating such a small amount of calories, your body will have to respond. My friend had the surgery in Feb 09 - she was like me with a BMI of 33. She lost 80 pounds in less than 6 months. In fact, she was how I learned about this particular surgery.

I think you are right to consider the lifelong change. I know I sure considered it. But, when I looked all all the options and knew my battle with weight maintance was lost, it was a fairly easy decision for me. I am loving watching the pounds come off. No, I won't be losing a huge amount each month, but I won't be gaining either. If it takes a year, it takes a year. Maybe you can talk more to your surgeon - does he have any experience with lower BMI patients he can share with you?

Best of luck. We are here to help if we can.

I had a lower BMI too. At 5'6 I had about 6o lbs to lose to get to my pre-baby size 4. I had surgery on Nov 23 and have lost a little over 35 lbs in three months. It has been easy and I feel great. Actually, I have been wanting to start exercising but have not even done that yet!

As far as eating, I just eat normal food and try to make healthier choices but I am not doing low carb or super high Protein, just making sure I eat veggies and whole grains and lean meats. If I want a cookie or chocolate I have some and am satisfied with a small amount.

I think you would love it and not have any problem losing weight.

when i went to seminar, dr. said she wouldnt do anyone with a bmi lower than 35!

when i went to seminar, dr. said she wouldnt do anyone with a bmi lower than 35!

I think that has been the standard protocol for years. But, several surgeons I researched said they had found great benefits for BMI of 30+. One actually said "I can do it now or wait 5 or so years when your health has declined and your BMI is 35, 40 or more".

I was also required to see a pysch. as part of my pre-op testing. She also confirmed that studies are showing benefits for BMI of 30+.

My surgeon said that I was definitely a "lightweight" but took my family history of morbid obesity and my personal struggle my entire life into account when making his decision to perform the sleeve on me. I honestly think this procedure will save me from the battles I have seen my family wage over the years.

I think that has been the standard protocol for years. But, several surgeons I researched said they had found great benefits for BMI of 30+. One actually said "I can do it now or wait 5 or so years when your health has declined and your BMI is 35, 40 or more".

I was also required to see a pysch. as part of my pre-op testing. She also confirmed that studies are showing benefits for BMI of 30+.

My surgeon said that I was definitely a "lightweight" but took my family history of morbid obesity and my personal struggle my entire life into account when making his decision to perform the sleeve on me. I honestly think this procedure will save me from the battles I have seen my family wage over the years.

I absolutely agree!

You will lose weight, your capacity for food is drastically reduced. It was a monumental adjustment for me.

I am 5'8" highest weight 232, last time I weighed myself (about 8 days ago), I weighed 162.

If I've learned anything from this it's that you must be prepared for the changes. I had too many other major changes that happened which clouds my judgment. My verdict is not in yet as to whether I am happy I had this surgery...but I'm getting there.

Best wishes to you.

Well, you sound like me a long time ago, and you might wait and see what happens after you have all your kids. Maybe it is just too soon for you. Honestly, I wouldn't have done this if I planned to have more kids. I didn't do a boob job for the same reason.

I shall be following this one with interest as my BMI is 35.5 at the moment, and I'm on the decision line at the moment, starting to do a lot more research......

One thing I wondered is if you have lower BMI so less weight to loose do they vary the size of the pouch accordingly, or is the size relative to another factor?

One thing I wondered is if you have lower BMI so less weight to loose do they vary the size of the pouch accordingly, or is the size relative to another factor?

I was considered a "lightweight", but my surgeon used a 26 boughie. After the surgery, he said that my stomach was tight (because of my anatomy he was able to disect/staple very close to the boughie). So, in my case, pre-op size was not a factor in what amount of stomach is left. For me, I am glad - this is a lifelong change and I want the restriction so I can maintain for a lifetime.

I think the numbers game is relative, just like anything else. Is 80 degrees too warm? For me, it is. For someone else, 100 is comfortable.

My BMI was lower at 33, however I have had the onset of depression, sleep apnea and bulging disks in my back as well as other smaller medical issues.

Yes I wanted to look better - but I also wanted to get healthier, enjoy my life and prolong my life. I was blessed with my first grandchild four months ago and the thought of not being able to enjoy her was not an option.

My insurance requires a minimum BMI of 35 and only with medical issues. And they want to monitor you for a year before saying yes, and they might say no. It made no sense to me at all to gain 30 or 40 pounds to qualify for surgery to lose weight.

My personality didn't allow for that situation. I did my research and booked the surgery. I was very frustrated with myself as I waited for my surgery to start that day .... why couldn't I lose 50 or 60 pounds on my own? However, that passed - valium does wonders! LOL I am now so happy just a few days out of surgery that you can not wipe the smile off my face.

You do need to decide for yourself. And remember that everyone, doctors included, have their own opinions. I chose to tell very few people ahead of time. I wanted to hear from those who had experienced the surgery more so than anyone who just thought it was a crazy idea "because".

Good luck to you! I hope you find the information to make the best decision for your life!