Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One more sleep to surgery!!

Lee , I hope you are feeling better soon!! I am glad to read your post since I am a pre-op person and I like to know ahead of time what exactly to expect. I am glad to hear that the bad stuff all goes and is a memory afterwords. Hopes to a speedy recovery for you. Look foward to reading more of your post to see how you are doing!!!

that?s just great!!! wish you the best of luck, pleasekeep us posted.....welcome to yourjourney of weight loss. of course everything will work out for you, nothing could go wrong with such a positive attitude.:thumbup1:

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post an update on how I'm feeling. Saturday (surgery on Wednesday) was my roughest day. I generally run a temp of 97.6 so 100 was high for me. My big incision was really hurting me so at night I put the ice packs from my gallbladder surgery on it and whala, this morning it's better. Friday night I had extreme acid up in my throat while sleeping so doc told me to put more pillows or a recliner (which I don't have). Last night was better with more pillows. I had Fluid in my lungs and I couldn't cough it up and it was painful to cough. My son taught me a trick that when I'm coughing lower my head and look down. After a few tries, it did the trick and whatever was in my lungs came up and out. YAY. Last night I woke after two hours sleep with a bad headache and sore throat. I got up and took pain meds and gargled and was able to go back to sleep for another four hours. This morning I'm looking forward to meds to keep the fever down as well as gargling all day. I haven't been walking as much as I'd like because of the incision pain and headache and fever. Today I want to get some walking in. I've been on clear fluids and today can move to yogurt and cream Soups. I've been getting in 32 ounces of fluids. Yesterday had my first low sodium chicken broth. I love popsicles and mixing 1/2 and 1/2 sobe pomegranate w/ Water. Today I may try some Protein pudding but may still do a lot of broth. I want to get rid of this sore throat.

I haven't had a moment's hunger since surgery. I know I gained a lot of weight from the IV fluids, but this morning my scale is down 2.4 pounds from my surgery morning weight. YAY!

For those of you still pre-op, there's nothing that happens during surgery or in the few days post-op that you will remember. I would do it all again tomorrow.

Good luck to you pre-ops. You're gonna shine. :001_tongue:

Love to all of you with great appreciation of what each of you bring to my journey!

Lee,

If you have fever and are coughing up stuff, you need to see your doctor immediately or go to the ER. You could have aspiration pneumonia which is VERY SERIOUS. Please don't hesitate for a minute. Get this checked out.A simple chest xray will diagnose it or rule it out.

Thanks Cajun!

I was fever free yesterday but this morning I'm slightly elevated at 99. I finally slept through the night, but woke up to a bad sore throat and some pain in my back when I cough. I'm emailing my doc this morning.

I love that we all look out for each other on this forum. I feel so lucky to be part of what's going on here.

hugs,

Lee

The acid in your throat could be making it sore...it's not good for your esophagus either. A PPI like nexium or prilosec will protect you from that...ask your doctor about a prescription.

Cajun, I'm currently taking Protonix twice a day. I'm waiting to hear back from my doc. It would be worth it for me to go get checked out since I was down with a bad sore throat for 10 days pre-op.

Hi Lee, glad to hear you are doing well!

I have been fairly similar to you - a couple of rough spots here and there, but overall feeling very well.

The first night in the clinic following surgery, I woke up needing to pee. I was just a little nauseas so figured I would ask for meds after the bathroom. Bad idea! That was my only dry heaves incident and it was awful. I also had alot of pain in my lungs that night which the meds didn't touch. Bkind was in the bed next to me and it sure helped to have her encouragement.

My only other melt down was the next night/early morning in the recovery house. I was a little nauseas again but mostly high anxiety. I probably should have started back on my depression meds sooner but was nervous to swallow anything. I got thru it and haven't had any issues swallowing meds.

I am still having a little trouble regulating my temperature. Seems I am either hot or cold, but never just warm. LOL If that's the worst of it, I am good!

Also, I love ice packs and pillows! So far everything is settling on my stomach, except orange Jello. No great loss. I did start on yogurt and am hoping to add potato Soup soon! Nummy!

Nice to compare notes with you : )

PNW, I'm so happy to hear the you and BKind are doing well. I remember getting up to go to the bathroom felt monumental to me. I was only in hospital 17 hours and everything got easier at home. I haven't tried Jello yet!! :) I did have some Fage yogurt for lunch today, 1/4 cup. Right now I'm sipping a cup of low sodium organic chicken broth to sooth my sore throat.