Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prilosec vs. Prevacid

My doc put me on Prilosec which I've taken since my surgery. The past few weeks I've been having what I call a sour stomach. sort of sick to my stomach type of feeling. I decided after reading some other posts/vlogs, to try Prevacid as this has worked for others. Its a miracle! lol....really really worked for me! No more naseua! I couldn't believe it! I don't know what the difference is, but for me at least, it made a heck of a difference. I'm still never hungry, but makes me able to do more things now that I'm not sick. Yay!

My sleeve was done on the 8th, and I really feel like I need to be on something. I go in Thursday and will ask the dr. but I am curious. Do most of you who do take something which do you take???

Diane

My sleeve was done on the 8th, and I really feel like I need to be on something. I go in Thursday and will ask the dr. but I am curious. Do most of you who do take something which do you take???

Diane

YAY Shontel glad you are feeling better.

Diane- I take 20mg RX Prilosec once daily, first thing in the morning, at least 1 hour before I eat anything. I have one 90 day refill left on my RX and then I may try to wean off completely. My surgeon allows patients to wean off between 6-9 months. I'll be almost a year out by the time I get the last refill filled. If I remotely get the false hunger from acid or have issues, I'll go right back on it. All my prescriptions are free as long as I have them filled on base so it's kind of crazy for me to switch to an OTC brand when I get the Prilosec for free.

Day 9 post surgery.

Having major acid refluxes today - first time after surgery...will I continue having it? or will this ever go away.

I had chicken sweet corn Soup yesterday for dinner...is it this choice of food that migh have caused reflux or has acidity now become a part of my life for the rest of my life....:blushing:

Urgent help needed.

Excellent news Shontel! I too prefer Prevacid, although mine is a prescription solutab tablet. I ran out of the prescription after 3 months and tried to just use nothing, that was a mistake I was seriously regretting and by the end of the first week I went to the pharmacist who had me use OTC Prilosec until they could get the refill prescription from my surgeon (it was fine, just not as settling for me).

Bitsy,

food choices definitely come into play for how bad my heartburn is, but not necessarily getting it in the first place. I think many people start out on a PPI for the first 3 months post-op at least and eventually wean themselves off. I have no immediate plans to wean off (I've gone a couple different weeks without while waiting for refills and they weren't pleasant) completely until maybe this summer over break. If I'm in discomfort, I tend not to be the most pleasant person and that is not okay if you teach middle school. You may want to call your surgeon's office or get an over the counter acid reducer.

I take the Prevacid first thing in the morning (literally, as I get out of bed, I swig some Water, take the Prevacid, swig more water). It has been so helpful. I was on the Nexium mups for a week, and it either 1) made me throw up, or, 2) made me nauseas, so I switched to the Prevacid. It's amazing. Glad it's working for you too! :smile::smile::smile:

Day 9 post surgery.

Having major acid refluxes today - first time after surgery...will I continue having it? or will this ever go away.

I had chicken sweet corn Soup yesterday for dinner...is it this choice of food that migh have caused reflux or has acidity now become a part of my life for the rest of my life....:)

Urgent help needed.

I find that eating carbs increases my reflux/acidity. Corn is a very high glycemic index carbohydrate that is not good for weight loss. Track your carb intake, and try to stick to 30-60 grams a day, and avoid high glycemic index carbs. bread, rice, corn, potato products are not good.

At 9 days post op, my diet was still restricted to Clear liquids. Maybe you are advancing too quickly. What does your doctor recommend?