Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nexium, Hunger and my 2 cents

Hey Tiff,

You were right, once a day. I'm not sure where I came up with three times per day but, truth be told, I only took it twice per day anyway. Then I started slacking off to nothing for a couple of days when I read this post. Back on it, of course, an unbelievable difference. I really was starting to sweat all this "hunger" which is now totall gone!! Yayyy! Thanks again to Oregon Daisy for bringing this up for us. Oh yeah, I take my mup version of Nexium in the morning.

C

Keys... Phew! Glad I saw that you had checked on this. I'm not sure what the side-effects of Nexium are, but I'm guessing that much for any length of time isn't good. Happy to hear you're feeling better! :)

thank you Oregondaisy for that information.:smile:

you're welcome! I know people have been told to be on it at least 6 months, but I am going on 10 months, and every time I try to go off of it, I feel like I am starving all the time. When I am on it, I am never hungry. Now, I don't plan on going off of it. My PCP has told me I have no reason to ever go off of it.

I need to ask for how long should we take this nexium or prilosec? any side effects on the long run? I am ready to take anything which will not make me hungry. Thanks all.

I need to ask for how long should we take this nexium or prilosec? any side effects on the long run? I am ready to take anything which will not make me hungry. Thanks all.

The research that was done to develop nexium showed that in HUGE amounts it caused cancer in rats. We don't take such a huge amount, and we are not rats so it is not certain that it could cause cancer in humans. But the jury is still out on that, pending long term studies. It is recommended by the manufacturer that it taken on a temporary basis only, for most people.

I prefer to "play it safe", so after three months on the Nexium, I opted to switch to Ranitidine (Zantac) which is OTC, and it is working fine for me. It is also a lot cheaper than nexium. Dr Aceves, and my gastroenterologist agreed with my plan. I plan to eventually stop the Zantac, when my sleeve agrees :).

Edited by cajun
afterthought

I agree with Cajun. But, I haven't been able to wean off my Prilosec yet and I've been on it for a little over 6.5 months. I know that when taking them we need to make sure we are taking Calcium Citrate.

FYI... i am still in the thinking hoping phase of the VSG, but on this note. I have been taking nexium for 5 years once daily because i have to take other medications that put my stomach at risk. it's just fine for the long run. kelly