Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major disappointment

My insurance has declined my sleeve, so now I have given the choice of either a band or the RNY. I'm just really not sure of either one. I've heard all the horror stories of the band slipping and erroding (sp) and one of my friends had the RNY several years ago and had major complications and ended up having her's reversed. I just really wanted the sleeve; it seemed to me like the safest and most logical choice, but now what?

I'm just asking for eveyones experiences (if any) with the band/RNY. I can't seem to find on the internet a non-biased opinion of the complications of either. Of course on the RNY forums they bash bands and the band forums bash the RNY.

I want a solution to my weight problem, but I don't want to end up worse off or having to have a second surgery on down the line.

Please help, if you can. Thanks!:biggrin2:

I would wait, personally, or pay for it yourself. I wouldn't recommend getting a surgery you are not comfortable with just so you get coverage. That is not fair to YOU. And I bet you more and more insurances are going to start covering it. I know United Healthcare does, but we have that insurance and for some reason there is an exclusion at my husband's company. So we paid for it. It wouldn't have mattered which procedure I chose, we had to pay. It sucks because we pay a lot for health insurance. So you are not alone.

I have a friend right now in your same situation and she is planning to get the bypass against her better judgement. I am so afraid for her and praying the insurance will cover the sleeve (she is asking at her next appt). But she doesn't have the money to pay.

When in the hospital there was a nurse on my floor that worked for some very famous doctors in Houston. She said a lot of people get the bypass and they don't need it because of your same situation. She says they suffer so much more with the bypass. She was advising me to tell my friend that she doesn't need the bypass b/c she is only 300 lbs. She said it really should be reserved for people 400-600 lbs.

But I think my friend is going to go through with it and I'm scared for her. She is the sole breadwinner at home as her husband passed a few years ago. She has a dependant daughter and grandson. So I am very afraid for her.

I had the band and it slipped.

I did really well with the weight loss until it slipped though.

One thing I use to hate with the band is that I would get stuck all the time.

I think out of 365 days in a year I was throwing up (productive burping??) at least 300 of them.

Is there a way that you could self pay?

Dr. Almanza is doing the sleeve for 5200.

I was very happy with the level of care I received.

Just a thought

My Mom has the RNY with Duodenal Switch.

She has had it for the past 12 years and has done beautifully.

I would choose the RNY over the band if it was me and those were my only options.

Good Luck with whichever path you choose.

big big hug!!

I had the band, and will bash it with my last dying breath. For the RNY, it wasn't the choice for me, but I understand why a lot of people choose it. For me the regain stats are just way too high, and nutritional/vitamin deficiencies with bypass just are not something I was willing to deal with.

My honest opinion is appeal the decision. Get your surgeon to help you. I've posted several links on sample appeal letters. If you need me to, I can send them to you, just shoot me a message, and I'll get you as much information as possible.

There are several finance companies, and even credit unions that can finance your surgery if you choose to self pay. There are a few members here that got great interest rates and had their surgeries here in the states. Mexico is an option, and if my insurance would of denied my revision, my happy hiney would go with Dr. Aceves, no questions asked.

I honestly would not get a surgery you will not be happy with mentally. You can't go into a surgery feeling defeated.