Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some positive energy, cause I'm really starting to regret this decision :(

Maybe I'm just having a down night & need a pick me up, but I'm feeling pretty low. I am supposed to be able to start solid foods tomorrow, yet I find I can still hardly get any mushy foods down. I've followed my docs post-op diet & I've read & re-read everyone's various ideas of mushy suggestions but nothing seems to go down good for me except liquids. All the things that most people have no problem with (tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, cottage cheese etc) feel like they get stuck in my throat & then I spend the next 30mins or so feeling like it's all coming back up... and that's only after maybe 1tsp at the most. I don't get it? Am I missing something? I'm taking the smallest of bites, chewing everything till it's a paste & still no-go. Because of this inability to eat anything other than liquids, I just keep asking myself why I did this & if it will EVER get better/easier. I had a very smooth recovery, so is this my torturous stage?!

Can someone/anyone provide insight & let me know if you possibly experienced this or if this is normal for some people? I'm a-okay with only being able to eat small portions for the rest of my life... but these no portions are really taking a toll, physically & emotionally. The weight loss is there, but I fear it's not a healthy loss this way.

Appreciate any feedback!

Kai, being pre-op, I have no words of wisdom, but I can offer hugs. I'm sorry this is happening to you and I hope one morning you wake up and suddenly can eat. Have you talked to your doctor or nutritionist?

I am not having any of these issues. In fact, since I'm just on purees, I am concerned about restriction and if there will be enough. Bella is right, you should contact your surgeon - 1 teaspoon isn't good!

Thanks ladies. I do have a message into my surgeon & will probably hear back tomorrow. I just wanted to put this out there for any other post sleevers who may have experienced this or have knowledge/insight on it.

Thanks ladies. I do have a message into my surgeon & will probably hear back tomorrow. I just wanted to put this out there for any other post sleevers who may have experienced this or have knowledge/insight on it.

Hopefully someone will respond soon. Keep us posted on your progress and your surgeon's advice.

Kai, I am 4 months post. I can remember your stage. I had it too. I was so frustrated that I could only get 3 tablespoons full of Soup down before it got cold.I could not eat the tuna that everyone raved about.

I just had to go MUCH slower into each transition. I stayed on pureed Soups for an extra month I think. I still do not finish a normal bowl of soup. And that is my whole meal. I still drink a lot of Protein. My tummy is happy with that. I am very healthy. (dr.s report) I could not eat a whole egg for the longest time. I wondered what was wrong with me.

The answer is: nothing. We just are all different. Stay with each phase longer, give yourself more time to adjust. You will love your sleeve soon.

I am 57 pounds lighter. These last 4 months have not been without worry and concern, but, they have been a journey into the unknown with wonderful results.

You will eat normal foods, not as much, but, it will be regular food like everyone eats.

Have patience with your new tummy, she is trying to catch up to your head as best she can.

I named mine.(Angelbaby) I talked to her like she was a new friend I was getting to know. (i tried not to do this out loud) I invited her into my life for the best benifit of us both.

Giggle back at her when she gurgles at you. She is making a joke, don't forget to laugh.

Try acceptance.

Kai,

Are you making the mushies real soupy? Try adding a little more liquid to them so they are almost but not quite "drinkable". Then very gradually decrease the liquid over a period of several weeks.

If that still does not work, just back up to full liquids again for about a week or two more. I had to do that several times before I could move forward. Don't be discouraged...just watch the pounds dropping off and cheer for yourself everytime you see that...THAT is success looking at you in the face! You've already lost 1/4 of your excess weight...you are doing fabulous! Next time you are at the grocery store, pick up a large 182 oz bottle of bleach and remind yourself that you have lost over THREE TIMES THAT MUCH. That should make you smile!!!

Congratulations!

Did you have a hiatal hernia repair as well as a VSG? If so, that gives some of us (me too) a tighter lower esophageal sphincter for a while, so the transitions may need to be slower for some of us.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON, SLEEVE SISTER!!!

Hi Kai,

This is supposed to be my 4th day on mushies. But, I'm not ready. I tried to have some pureed lentil Soup, tried the fish etc. and it just doesn't go down. The stuff was stuck for so long that my throat now hurts. So, I'm not going to force it. I'll try again next Monday and if it doesn't work, well then that's o.k.

One thing that did work was a low fat Babybel cheese round. I nibbled a bit and chewed very well. It tasted so good, I also didn't want to swallow!

I'm fine with shakes for Protein (+ I get in 2-3 glasses of skim milk:) and broth is also just fine as well. I have unflavoured Protein mix to put in cooled broth and yoghurt. My chewable Vitamins and liquid Calcium will just have to do for now. Besides, my tracking shows I'm getting all the nutrients I need.

I'm so grateful for the liquids because while I'm hydrating, I'm also detoxing and fat eliminating at the same time.

My life has changed: My protein doesn't look like it used to and most of it never will. But it's very o.k.

Let me know if you'd like to talk more.

xo Cheryl

I didn't have this exact problem, but I did stick with mushies a lot longer than I was supposed to per my surgeon's program. I was simply scared of food, and ate what I knew I could tolerate.

If things aren't working for you, then take a step back, and move slower to new foods. I know it's frustrating and disheartening. But, it does get better. I agree with Carolyn and Cajun that we're all so very different. All of our stomachs heal differently, and no one thing is going to work exactly the same for all of us.

Let us know what Dr. A says, and stay strong and positive.

People say drinking something warm (especially in the morning)relaxes things inside.

There are a lot of people who stayed on liquids longer and progressed through the food stages slower until things got easier.

It will get better. It may just take you more time, but it will get better.

I received a reply this afternoon from Dr Aceves' office & his reply was similar to most of yours! He said I shouldn't get discouraged at this point, as this is still the healing time for the stomach. He suggested returning to full liquids for 5 days & then starting on soft foods all over again, before progressing to solids. He doesn't think I have anything to be concerned about, it's just my stomach taking longer to move through the stages. He also said that the little bit of vomiting I've done may have increased the swelling, so the liquids will give that more time to settle as well.

Sorry to have sounded like such a downer, it was a rough night. All in all, I am happy with my results thus far & just have to remember to stay positive, even through the trying times... as they will surface now & then!

Thanks all for the support, positive feedback & words of encouragement, really appreciated!

Kai,

I'm glad you heard from the doctor. It sounds like he gave you great advice, and more important, peace of mind.

Now about that... sounding like a downer... that's what support is all about. Trying to make each other feel better when times are tough, and celebrating together when things are great. Better to come here and ask for advice than worry in your head.

I received a reply this afternoon from Dr Aceves' office & his reply was similar to most of yours! He said I shouldn't get discouraged at this point, as this is still the healing time for the stomach. He suggested returning to full liquids for 5 days & then starting on soft foods all over again, before progressing to solids. He doesn't think I have anything to be concerned about, it's just my stomach taking longer to move through the stages. He also said that the little bit of vomiting I've done may have increased the swelling, so the liquids will give that more time to settle as well.

Sorry to have sounded like such a downer, it was a rough night. All in all, I am happy with my results thus far & just have to remember to stay positive, even through the trying times... as they will surface now & then!

Thanks all for the support, positive feedback & words of encouragement, really appreciated!

"Backing up" is something we have to do periodically...yesterday I tried some medium hot Thai food, and had a little burning feeling in my stomach all evening, and still this morning, in spite of taking my Zantac twice yesterday as usual. So even though I am almost 5 months post op, today I will stick to Protein shakes for all my meals to give it time to settle back down. Just listen to your sleeve, and it will tell you when it needs a break...treat it gently and it will serve you well.

Thanks Lee!

And Cajun, thanks again... it's good to know that even months out we're all human. Although on that note, I'm sorry for your discomfort too :001_rolleyes: