Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did everyone feel they were ready to go back to work? Did you have a waiting period or did you just go right back into it?

Sinner,

It will depend on how physically strenous your job is. Most surgeons restrict lifting for 6 weeks after surgery (nothing more than 15#).

I have a mentally demanding job but it's not physically difficult. I returned to work exactly one week after surgery.

Many return to work 1-2 weeks after surgery and do fine. I ended up resigning from my job 2 weeks before surgery and went back to help out part time at three weeks out (they lost their librarian so I was cataloging, shelving, shifting books and crawling around on the floor). Physically I was exhausted by mid afternoon...just so sleepy, but mentally I was able to think and do the job and participate in meetings.

I returned 1 week post-op and am working 1/2 days until week 3.

When did everyone feel they were ready to go back to work? Did you have a waiting period or did you just go right back into it?

I was off for 2 1/2 weeks. . doctor didn't want me going back for that period of time just for the mere fact that we are tired from surgery and getting used to our new selves. . . sooooo i loved the 2 1/2 weeks off and missed NOBODY!:lol0:

I went back in exactly one week, and it helped me to have some structure. But I worked part-time the second week cause I still had a lot of personal things I needed to do like doctor appt/spending time with kids, etc. But I have a desk job.

I am returning this Monday - 2 weeks exactly from date of surgery.

I am still a little tired but I think it will be fine.

I went back 6 days after surgery, I have a desk job for the most part but I'm totally exhausted, I feel like I need more time just to let my body rest!

I had surgery on Jan 28th and was back to work on Feb 2nd.

I really felt wiped out though! I have a desk job and really I never lift anything heavier than my purse.

I think if you are able to take at least a week of it would be really helpful to your recovery process.

2 weeks would be better yet!!:thumbup1:

My surgery is March 17 and I'll be going back to work on March 29. Fortunately March 31 is a day off for me, so the first week back will be two days on, one day off, two days on. My job is mentally demanding but physically sedentary, so hopefully it will work out.

My doctor told me he'd approve me to return to work as soon as my drain was removed (which is 1 week post-op). But warned me I'd be tired, especially while still on the liquid diet. So, I just started saving my leave as long as possible and by the time my surgery came up I had 3 weeks sick leave and 4 weeks vacation leave available. So, I took a full 3 weeks off and am working 3 weeks part time before I return. This is MUCH more than most people have told me they need, but I thought I'd indulge myself with some "me" time after surgery and get a really good start.

I had surgery on 2/4 which was a thursday, came home sunday, was off monday and went to work Tuesday 2/9. I know it sounds crazy but I felt awesome. I did not want to sit at home and I had tons of energy. Even crazier I went to the gym on that wednesday 2/10 (just to walk the tredmill of course). I did not have tons of pain or feel tired. I don't know why but I just didn't. Totally unexpected, LOL.

I ended up getting back from Tijuana on Monday February 22nd and decided to go to work the very next day and have had no pain because of it. After being in the clinic I think I would go crazy sitting at home for another week having nothing to do. Thanks everyone for the input.

I had surgery on Wednesday Feb 17th. I have a desk job and I'm 59 years old. I think age may play a difference in how quickly we heal.

I started back to work from my home office on Tuesday Feb 23rd. I worked in spurts for the first few days and rested a lot.

Monday Feb 22nd I started working 1/2 days at home and 1/2 in the office.

Wednesday the 24th I upped it to working 11-5 in the office. I could have done full days easily all week but have the luxury to work from home as needed.

Next week will be back to my usual routine of 8-5 in the office.

I have a desk job so I went back in exactly a week. An hour nap after work was routine for about a month. Then again, I go into work at 5:30 so maybe it was just the 4 am alarm making me tired.:001_unsure: