Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation after surgery???

Hi everyone.

Just to keep those of you who already know me updated: I have gone to orientation and have a schedule date to begin my options classes through Kaiser. My graduation will be in May and Was told my surgery is possibly in June...

The only problem and/or controversy I have is that I'm planning to go on a vacation in November (that would be aprox 5 months post op) and was wondering if anyone knows If it would be okay for me to go on my cruise to the caribbean for my 21 birthday.. I would be swimming, snorkeling, hiking, dancing, etc. would this be risky or should I be fine by then?

Also, another thing that has me thinking alot is that I know after surgery I can't drink alcohol, and it's not too bad for me since I dont drink alot, but I have always wanted to party it up for my 21st bday! I've been waiting 21 years for this day! But I want to get the surgery and better my health and future: Maybe I can have just a drink or 2? ahh I can always date my surgery till after the trip...

So the question is: Do I want to go on my trip: party it up: and enjoy my onl 21st bday ill ever have and have been waiting for

or should I get my surgery...be healthier.. thinner.. and go on my trip..and also save money by not having to buy alcohol..

ive gotten different opinions from many people and it usually comes out 50/50! They tell me well you might as well get the alcohol and party hard for your 21st bday then have your surgery, whats the rush, the different of 7 months differnce going to do?

then they also tell me... you should just get your surgery and get it over with, start your change because you will run into other vacations in the future... (but this is my only 21st! ha for all you older folks (which I indeed respect) this is big for me!)

so... opinions?!?!?

also.. i was thinking of risks... god forbid something begins to hurt or something happens over there... how would i get help being stuck on a ship? many possibilities..

please feed back!:(

My opinion. I got my surgery Jan 14th. if I had to wait another 7 months, I WOULD DIE- LOL!

I think you will enjoy your 21st birthday even more being skinny. And - what are your surgeons instructions on alcohol? I was told 6 months by mine, but every surgeon is different.

I think you will be the only one who can answer this question. I bet as you go through the classes/process it will become more clear to you what is best for your life. Like Coopersmama, there is no way I could have waited that long, once I decided on surgery, I wanted it like yesterday.

As to being able to do all the physical activities (hiking, snorkeling, dancing, etc.), I had so much more energy at 5 months post-op than pre-surgery and would have enjoyed them more post-op. BUT that was just my experience. I'd suggest talking with your surgeon and/or nutritionist about the alcohol thing. I would think by that time you could have a couple/few drinks on your special day, but again you'd have to decide if that was enough.

Good luck on your journey!

I am 2.5 weeks out and I just booked a Disney trip for......the 21st of this month. :001_tongue: I feel fine. food intake is really hard for me, but as for feeling fine-I could do most of the things you want to do in moderation already!

Honestly, you have to ask your team. And, is it worth to get drunk one night, to delay your surgery? That's all your birthday is, 1 night. I think I have been on the cruise you are going to take, and believe me, you could have bought an entire new wardrobe for your new body on the money you will end up spending on alcohol. But, that's just my opinion.

21 is the age of legal responsiblility. If you've already taken control of your weight issues you're ahead fo the game. Why not make your 21st birthday a celebration of your weight loss and a new direction for the rest of your life of being healthy? One or two drinks isn't going to kill you, but getting rip-roaring drunk just to Celebrate turning 21 is going to add a ton of unneccessary calories and give you a headache the next day. so...the first day of your 21st year, instead of going for a hike or a swim..you'd be huddled in bed. Is that how you want to start it?

You asked for opinions....here's mine. Get healthy first...be able to really enjoy all those activities in the new trimmer you and celebrate responsibly the day you turn 21.

Here is a tip you haven't heard. You will be a cheap drunk if you do the surgery first.

Seriously. 2 drinks in rapid succession and you are toast. I used to be able to drink ALOT. a whole lot. full bottles of wine, plus cocktails. No wonder I was fat. Hey, I just used past tense for my self. Wow! Back to you, If you follow all the dietary guidelines after surgery, until your "cruiseofalifetime", you will be fine, feeling so darn great, and if you do drink, I guarentee you will not have a big drink bill.

A bit more, since you asked for "older" support, Stop putting all these expectations on this birthday. You will dis-appoint your self. When ever you "expect" you are more likely to be dis-appointed. How can you be suprised in life if you expect everything to go a certain way? Just let the suprises happen, and giggle. Alot.

Hi Jenn,

I think I pretty much agree with everything that's been said. I had my surgery 1 1/2 months ago, and I turned 21 last June. Actually, my birthday was right before I started researching WLS. As someone your age, I would say the birthday party is not worth it. I woke up the day after, as a person who never gets hangovers, with a huge headache, a stain on my new shirt :) and looking and feeling like crap. Now I look back at the pictures from that night and find myself sad that I was SO big then! Not to mention my amazing friends took pictures of all those drinks coming back up....I would say if I were in your shoes, I would have the surgery in June and Celebrate your new life on your birthday! I feel like it's an especially huge decision to have surgery for those of us who are so young, simply because most people our age aren't worrying about their health at this point.

If you really want the cruise then go, but how much is one night (that you won't even remember if you do it pre-op, trust me!) worth to you, both in cost and in waiting another 7 months? Only you can decide, and I think it's great you're seeking advice. Personally, I did most of my partying before I was legal...oops! So I'm okay with not drinking now. I like the occasional glass of wine, and knowing that in a few months I'll be okay to do that is fine with me. It's really up to you and good luck with figuring it all out! Also, congrats on beginning your classes! :lol0:

I had the sleeve two weeks ago. I go on a cruise in 4 weeks. I discussed to with my doctors before the surgery. They told me no problem. I would love to go on a zipline, but I have to heal more than just 6 weeks for that LOL Snorkeling will be fine as will your other activities. My doctor also told me to drink if I want. "if you have dumping syndrome, don't blame me. If you can handle it, then do it and enjoy your vacation." Seems reasonable to me.

Sabrina,

Have you ever ziplined before? It is such fun! But you definitely need your tummy muscles to hold your legs up as you soar across the line. And you will sometimes come in hard and the guide has to stop you! LOL

Vacations are as much a state of mind as they are a list of activities : )

Jenn: work first, play later. Think how much more fun that birthday will be a few sizes smaller!

Sabrina,

Have you ever ziplined before? It is such fun! But you definitely need your tummy muscles to hold your legs up as you soar across the line. And you will sometimes come in hard and the guide has to stop you! LOL

Vacations are as much a state of mind as they are a list of activities : )

Jenn: work first, play later. Think how much more fun that birthday will be a few sizes smaller!

Not since my early days in the army. I hate the sensation of falling, so someone literally has to kick me off the platform. I love it once I start going LOL