Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buffet??

Ok, so here's the deal. I am taking a Chinese language class and as Chinese New Year begins on Sunday, we decided to go to Des Moines (about 45 mins away) to have some good Chinese food. Our class is small: me, my roommate, a bossy lady that works at the college, and our visiting professor from China. Not sure why we are going to a buffet (that's what bossy lady decided) since I'm pretty sure most buffets in Iowa aren't exactly authentic & if we were just going to go to a buffet we could stay in town...........:( But whatever. So we will be going to a Chinese buffet in the next week or so. Obviously I won't be able to eat much though I am now on solids. My dietitian recommends 1/4c. food at each meal. So what should I do? I'm not thrilled about paying $15+ for a buffet meal (I'm a broke college student), but I don't really have any options, so any ideas on what would be sleeve-friendly on a Chinese buffet? I'm worried because I know most of the foods have sauces that are probably high in sugar. :crying: And while my roommate & professor both know about my surgery, I'm not looking forward to bossy lady (also nosey lady) asking questions that she has no business asking! Grr, can you tell I'm frustrated?! Sorry bout that! Any advice on eating buffet style post-sleeve would be GREAT.:blushing:

Most Chinese buffets have egg drop Soup, that would be an option. Also, some have boiled shrimp or boiled crab legs, both of those would be ok also.

I'd say forget the buffet and order a bowl of Soup as Barbara suggested.

If it were me, I'd say I have a lot of food allergies and had to eat at home, that coming along for the company was the important part of the celebration for you. You can use MSG as an excuse, or whatever. Bossy lady doesn't get to ask you questions. A polite smile from you should take care of it. If asked further, tell her that your physician recommends that you don't eat out. If she asks what allergies, smile and tell her that you'd hate to bore her. Then ask a nice general question of the group.

I spent nine years as a vegan who didn't eat any sugar. Social situations, I just used food allergies and often took my own food.

The chinese buffet here also has a regular take-out menu. If that one does too, maybe you can order some Soup ala carte and not have to pay for the whole buffet? Just tell nosy lady you don't feel well or you're on a diet or something.

ok, so here's the deal. I am taking a chinese language class and as chinese new year begins on sunday, we decided to go to des moines (about 45 mins away) to have some good chinese food. Our class is small: Me, my roommate, a bossy lady that works at the college, and our visiting professor from china. Not sure why we are going to a buffet (that's what bossy lady decided) since i'm pretty sure most buffets in iowa aren't exactly authentic & if we were just going to go to a buffet we could stay in town...........:001_tongue: But whatever. So we will be going to a chinese buffet in the next week or so. Obviously i won't be able to eat much though i am now on solids. My dietitian recommends 1/4c. Food at each meal. So what should i do? I'm not thrilled about paying $15+ for a buffet meal (i'm a broke college student), but i don't really have any options, so any ideas on what would be sleeve-friendly on a chinese buffet? I'm worried because i know most of the foods have sauces that are probably high in sugar. :crying: And while my roommate & professor both know about my surgery, i'm not looking forward to bossy lady (also nosey lady) asking questions that she has no business asking! Grr, can you tell i'm frustrated?! Sorry bout that! any advice on eating buffet style post-sleeve would be great.:blushing:

don't get the buffet, order won ton Soup, that's all you'll be able to eat anyway. That's all i ever get at a chinese resturant. It's waaaayyyy cheaper.

Excellent advice you are getting here. I am going to use some of it! I hate the thought of going to a buffett, paying the full price and not even eating a kids portion. Wan ton Soup for me!

Bossy/Nosey Lady problem: you will ALways have these type of people in your life. Learn NOW how to deal with them. Believe it or not, that person has something to offer. Ask her questions about her dogs/hobbies/schooling/kids/family/claws/horns.(kidding) You have to divert the focus of these people. It can be interesting or tiresome, but a good lesson for you either way, because, it will get the focus off you.

I do not mind being the center of the Universe, however, I do not like it when it is focused on my weight! Yikes!

So, polish up you people skills, go have some soup, and have a great experience.

Also, for buffet situations, not this one in particular, but other.... I've heard that you can restaurants will let you order off of the child's menu. That would probably mean paying child price for buffet.

I went to lunch with my local WLS support group and several ordered from the child menu. The waitress didn't even ask to see their Bariatric Meal card. Restaurants tend to be very understanding. They want our continued business. They probably know that we'll come in with others that will pay full price.

Great advice you've gotten. The only thing I'd add is trying to find the restaurant online or calling in advance just to be better prepared and have your exact plan down in advance...it might help you feel more confident and let bossy lady's comments/questions roll a little more easily off your back if you are comfortable with your decisions before you even step in the door. Even as a veteran of eating out post-op, I still struggle at times when all eyes are on me and I'm trying to figure things out.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice! :) I think I will try to call them ahead of time if I can get ahold of the number. Then I could ask about child pricing and/or a la carte ordering. I think what frustrates me the most is this lady...and I appreciate the advice on that too! Now I can at least look forward to going & maybe some yummy soup! :lol0: Thanks again sleeve sisters!

WOW! such gret advice!!! I will file these ideas for use once I get sleeved! Have a great time...even with bossy/nosey lady. Hopefully she keeps her mouth stuffed with food the whole time..lol

LOL! Thanks for making me laugh, Kokonut. :) And I will definitely update you guys post-buffet experience! I guess I just need to approach the situation with bossy/nosey lady differently. If she brings it up it's probably because she realizes she is eating enough for three people. :lol0: And I can feel good knowing that I'm no longer killing myself by putting large amounts of artery clogging food in my body! You guys always make me feel better! Thanks! :blush:

Hey MWG, are you going to China? I went because I wanted to hike the Great Wall. Even at 100 pounds overweight, it was one of the best days of my life. My son and I just couldn't believe how gorgeous it was. We hated the food in Bejing until we found the Embassy district and a good Italian restaurant. Chinese food in China isn't what it is here in the USA. I just wanted to go to the Great Wall and do Tai Chi in the park with the seniors. I didn't learn any Chinese before I went. I didn't need to speak to communicate with the elders. I found it much easier to learn Japanese before going to Japan.