Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico or Bust!

Surgery is something I have casually thought about before, but was so sure I could lose weight on my own. 10 years later, it hasn't happened and I am finding myself with more medical issues: depression, sleep apnea and back problems. I met someone recently who had the sleeve surgery in Mexico about a year ago and she has lost well over 100 lbs. I didn't even realize surgery in Mx was an option. I have insurance but it wouldn't cover this specific surgery, I don't meet the guidelines, etc etc.

I became a grandmother this past fall to a beautiful little girl and I really want to watch her grow. I want to have the energy to play with her and take her to wonderful places.

My husband and I discussed this option and decided to go for it! We will be paying OOP which I think is still less than if I had the surgery locally by the time I paid my deductible, 20%, etc.

My surgery is scheduled for Thursday, February 18th at Hospital Jerusalem in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Almanza. Melissa is my coordinator. Except for a select few, we have decided not to tell anyone else until afterwards.

The 18th is also my 49th birthday. I plan to be 50 and fabulous in a year!

My stats: 5' 4" tall, highest weight 199, current weight 192, goal weight 130.

Here we go! :)

Congratulations on your surgery date. I too had surgery in Mexico, but with Dr. Aceves. Keep us posted on your progress and best wishes to you also.

Congratualtions on your surgery date. Feb 18th will be my 48th birthday! I will be sure to send you out well wishes when I blow out the candles!

Congrats on your surgery date, I had surgery last mth with Dr. Almanza and have been very pleased with the results. Good luck!

Hi pnw218!

I was sleeved 1-28-10 with Dr. Almanza at the Hospital Jerusalem.

I had a very good experience and LOVED Dr. Almanza and Dr. Betancourt.

You would never ever find a more personable Dr. in the United States.

Good Luck and I hope to hear from you soon!

Thank you for the replies and good wishes!

I am so glad to hear others talk positively about Dr. Almanza! I tried to select a dr and location responsibly and not just choosing who was the least expensive, altho their pricing was very competitive. I figure this is one time you shouldn't go just for the bargain price.

Should I take my own laptop? It says the guest house has a computer available for use, but thinking I may want my own?

I am getting excited!

I took my own lap top but honestly I never used it.

I would suggest bring really really warm pj's and fuzzy socks for the guest house as its very very cold!!!

There are portable heaters for the room but they throw the breakers so its not really worth using them as your TV will go out and then you have to go downstairs and flip the breaker and you'll freeze doing this. LOL!!

Jersualem medical Ctr is really small and not like a Hospital at all.

Its like a same day surgical ctr??

If you are having someone come with you have them be prepared that they may have to stay at the guest house without you the nights you are in the hospital.

I was told that my Mom would be able to stay with me in the hospital but there was not any room for her.

Not a big deal but I wish I would have known prior to getting there.

But like I said Dr. Almanza and Dr. Betancourt are so wonderful and you seriously couldnt ask for a more attentive staff.

Keep in touch k?

Big Big Hug!!

T minus 3 days!

I packed last night. Will put the last minute stuff in tomorrow morning. I am taking the train to Portland to visit my sister and we are going to Legally Blonde the Musical. I will fly to San Diego on Wednesday and surgery is scheduled for Thursday!

I am very excited and just a little sad as I have said goodbye to many favorite foods this past week. I know that I may see them again someday, but in much smaller quantities.

One change - I have decided to travel alone. My husband is staying home with our daughter so she doesn't have to stay with friends. Just makes it easier. After reading about other's experiences here, I am very comfortable with that decision. My history with surgeries has been very positive and I don't expect anything different with this one.

Plus, Sarah and Teresa from this site will be with me!! I feel very fortunate to have connected with them :crying:.

I am taking my laptop so hope to update my progress over the weekend.

I am so very excited to be a Loser!!

PNW - Best of luck with your surgery. We'll be waiting to hear how you do.

I just noticed that you live in the Seattle area - me too. When you get back, let me know if you are interested in a Sleeve Support Group. I go to one that meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month at Stevens Hospital in Edmonds. We would be glad to have you come join us.

PNW - Best of luck with your surgery. We'll be waiting to hear how you do.

I just noticed that you live in the Seattle area - me too. When you get back, let me know if you are interested in a Sleeve Support Group. I go to one that meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month at Stevens Hospital in Edmonds. We would be glad to have you come join us.

ok thanks! I will check in with you afterwards.

In San Diego! Dinner: carrot cake, pb cups, doritos and mimosas! LOL

Hoping to get some sleep tonite but if not, oh well, it will be a medicated nap tomorrow!

I did travel alone. Another 'sister sleever' bkind, will be here shortly. SarahRN will join us tomorrow. It is so nice to have someone to share this with, in person as well as on this site.

Thanks for all of the pre-op info and support! Talk to you all soon with post op feedback! *hopefully* : )

Edited by pnw218

In San Diego! Dinner: carrot cake, pb cups, doritos and mimosas! LOL

Hoping to get some sleep tonite but if not, oh well, it will be a medicated nap tomorrow!

I did travel alone. Another 'sister sleever' bkind, will be here shortly. SarahRN will join us tomorrow. It is so nice to have someone to share this with, in person as well as on this site.

Thanks for all of the pre-op info and support! Talk to you all soon with post op feedback! *hopefully* : )

Thinking of you. Let us know how you are doing once you are feeling up to it.

Thinking of you. Let us know how you are doing once you are feeling up to it.

Bkind and I are at the clinic!! Will check in later. We are very excited!!