Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Do the Protein Bullets Taste Like?

Hi All,

Without being to graphic now, what do the different clears taste like? I got the fruit Punch Super whey from Walmart because it is the cheapest. The taste is like a sweet tart and I am not too fond of sour stuff. I am wondering if Isopure and Profect are sweeter? Is it ok to mix Crystal Light into it the first week post-op?

TIA,

Pennie

Pennie, I'm curious to see the responses to this as well. Good question!

whether you can mix it with Crystal Light or not depends on if you are on clear fluids or full liquids. Clear Liquids means you must be able to see through it.

As for taste...it's tolerable because it's only 3 oz. Best to just plug your nose and get it down if you choose that type of Protein supplement. I've read that it's not a high quality source of protein...but then I've heard that ANY Protein source is better than getting none .... so I don't know what to believe.

Good luck

When I was in the hospital, they gave me a bottle of Isopure Grape Frost flavor along with some regular grape juice. I mixed them together and it was great. The pre-made Isopure is clear. I've tried the powder, but didn't like it nearly as much, and it wasn't clear, even mixed with Water. The Isopure pre-made has 40Grams of Protein in a 20oz bottle. Vitamin Shoppe and GNC have them by the bottle or case. You can try several flavors and see what you like. They can also be mixed with Crystal Lite if you want, though I just drink them 'straight'. :)

I used the Isopure Grape Frost to make Jello. 2 cups cold Water, 2 cups Isopure

It tastes just fine in Cherry Jello.< /p>

Today I'm experimenting with Isopure and Knox unflavored Gelatin. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well, like most Proteins, you're going to have to sample as everyone has different taste (more-so post-op) and some people think one brand is disgusting that another absolutely loves.

That said, my experience with "shots" has been mixed. I have only tried two brands; a cheap(er) one from CVS that I thought was horrible. I choked them down, however, rather than wasting the $$. They smelled as bad as they tasted. I probably could have disguised them with something but I don't think so... Can't remember the brand but it was the only shot CVS carries. I think they were 26g or Protein or thereabouts.

Flavor-wise, I have had much better luck with New Whey that I have been buying at the Vitamin Shoppe. Got a case of 12 on sale the other day for $31. I have found, however, if I drink them too quickly, i.e., more than an ounce per hour, it all comes out the other end (forgive me for the graphic!) and just gives me kind of a lousy feeling in my gut for 20 minutes or so. I find they work very well spread out through the day. I also throw them in the freezer to get them good and cold. They don't actually freeze tho. These have 42g of Protein. The case flavor I just bought was blue raspberry. I've tried a couple other flavors of this brand and liked them too.

Get yourself a couple of brands to sample and see what tastes good to you.

Good luck!!

Carol

I really liked the shots. I mixed them with a little bit of Water every day. But I stopped once I heard it is not 'good protein'. I checked and it said it has some whey isolate, so I am not sure as to why it is not 'the best' Protein, but I am still on a Quest to find some protein.

I really liked the shots. I mixed them with a little bit of Water every day. But I stopped once I heard it is not 'good protein'. I checked and it said it has some whey isolate, so I am not sure as to why it is not 'the best' Protein, but I am still on a Quest to find some Protein.< /div>

whey Isolate is BETTER than Whey concentrate. Most body building info that I have researched says that whey isolate is 94 to 96% pure protein while the concentrated whey is only 70 to 80% pure protein. Whey Isolate is also supposed to be better for lactose intolerant people and those who get gassy easier.

As to the OP, I couldn't stomach the Protein Shots. I still have a couple of dozen in the fridge. I am getting a good dose of them in the morning with my "It's About Time" protein shake(approx 45 grams) and the rest from my food throughout the day. I did try the Sour Grape one from GNC, has like 42 grams of protein in it, and it was okay. I think the sourness hid a lot of the protein taste.

Bill

I used them with the band, and I could tolerate the Orange and fruit punch flavor of the New Whey Protein bullets found at GNC. I would actually mush up a SF orange popsicle and mix the Protein shot in with it. It made them tolerable. After my sleeve, I could tolerate them at all. I still have a couple in my fruit drawer.

The blue raspberry new whey 42gr shot mixed fairly well with grape G2 gatorade.

2 nuts approved them with the statement that the collagen protein is not the best source, but some protein is better than none.

I couldn't handle the "thickness" of the shots. They had to be diluted with either a popsicle or G2.

Collegen Protein is made from boiled cow hide. That is what the protein bullets are made from. I guess if that's all you can stand, it is better than nothing. Myself, I wouldn't even try them.

Collegen Protein is made from boiled cow hide. That is what the protein bullets are made from.

OMG I have drank these now I am grossed out....Put my glasses on and read the ingredients in all the protein samples I got. No wonder they have so much protein. I am going to "steer" clear of them!

D.

Collegen Protein is made from boiled cow hide. That is what the Protein bullets are made from.

OMG I have drank these now I am grossed out....Put my glasses on and read the ingredients in all the protein samples I got. No wonder they have so much protein. I am going to "steer" clear of them!

D.

Stuck,

It really isn't so bad. I mean when you think about it, (if you are a meat eater) we eat cow muscles, no? I drink one daily. Eventually I want to get all my protein from food, but until I can eat enough food, I'll use the bullets to supplement.

I just find if I take little bitty sips from it I can get one down a day easily.

:001_unsure:

I don't like the thickness of the Protein shots either-kinda like drinking too sweet melted Jello or something.

What I have done in the past is mix about 1/3 of the shot into a bottle of Water. You don't have the texture and the flavor is very diluted-it makes them tolerable.

If you spread your Protein shot over three bottles of Water then you can get your extra 40 g over the whole day.

whey Protein is so much better and easier to absorb than collegen. I've heard so many nutritionists and doctors say if you can't get Protein any other way, it's the last recourse. I hate cottage cheese, but I would rather eat that than collegen protein, but each to their own.

I bought unflavored whey protein from GNC when I was on my post op diet. It can be mixed in all sorts of stuff.