Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I messed up on pre-op diet...please help....

My BMI is under 40, and I am on my 2 week pre-op liquid diet. Which frankly, I suck at but stuck to UNTIL NOW. I've made it almost to the end and I went out to dinner with family and ate a heavy mid day meal (pasta). That was on Saturday and my surgery is on Tuesday. I am back on liquids today and wondering how much I have to confess to doctor. It would have been about 52 hours before my surgery. I realllly don't want to postpone surgery but wonder does it make anything more dangerous.

I'll be soooo strict now. I just went nuts I guess.

I cheated a few times pre-op, (although I wasn't on a liquid pre-op diet) my diet was still pretty strict. My surgery went fine and the doctor said my liver looked great. Since you have been on the liquid diet so long and only cheated once, I think it will be out of your system in time for your surgery. Do you have to do an enema or anything like that pre-op? I did. ugh! I think we all go a little nuts from time to time, some times feel so much harder than others! In my opinion, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We all have such different pre-op diets, even though the outcome is the same. I believe that alot of it depends on your doctor and how strict he/she is. I know this is bad, but I didn't mention my cheating to my doctor nor did he notice, I was too scared that he would postpone my surgery. I hope this helps! Best wishes for a great surgery, and a quick and easy recovery...keep us posted!

how much weight have you lost? I would call his office and advise them, but I don't think it will change anything. Just keep the carbs super low now and Protein high. I cheated some too, but doc said I did a good job. I did a few small cheats, you did one big one,, Stay positive, take control, you can do it, but do let him know prior. If he puts you off for a couple days that would be the worse case scenerio.

See ya on the other side!

pumpkin, I don't have a special pre-op diet. We were given a 1200 calorie a day diet with no Protein supplements. Once we reach pre-op goal weight, we just have to stay there by surgery morning. I'm supposed to do Milk of Magnesia the day before and eat lightly that day. No food after 6pm and no fluids after midnight.

If a meal several days before surgery would make it dangerous, I know I wouldn't have a 1200 calorie plan the days before surgery.

Just another take on it all....

I have surgery on Wed and I have to confess that I had one half of a girl scout cookie. Once that sugar hit my system that was all she wrote. I ended up eating about 2 cups of mac and cheese. I couldn't believe how the binge eating madness took me over. I have stayed away from sugar and other simple carbs. Assessing the damage, I decided that since I have lost 24 pounds over the last 3 1/2 weeks I will be ok. I am adding two days to my liquid diet starting today and will drink a gallon of Water daily.

I really didn't think that I would lose control like that and go food-crazy but I think something in that cookie set me off. Up to that point, I was low carbing it and not feeling intense urges to eat.

Good luck all.