Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting situation last night

Night time seems to be my toughest time. I feel uncomfortable a lot. Last night wasn't too bad. So I get my medicine ready to take (antiacid, low dose antibiotic (skin reasons), Biotin and it seems like something else? I can't remember at the moment). I do this every night with no issues at all so far. (I am one week and 3 days out) I take them-I feel fine. Then all of a sudden I am extremely uncomfortable. Warm saliva, nausea. I vomit. It doesn't seem like much of the medicine itself came up. The green coating on the antacid came up, along with a bunch of saliva.

So yeah, that sucked. But the worst part was the uncomfortable feeling-the pain in my stomach. My throat was BURNING. I kept trying to swish with Water to get that taste out of my mouth, but it didn't help.

This morning my throat is really sore. I am drinking cold water because that sounded good. Every once in a while I will get a bad pain in my stomach area. It goes away, but then comes back here and there.

Is this normal?

Are you taking a PPI (Nexium) sounds like acid reflux to me??? My understanding is no "pills" for at least a month??? Who did your sleeve? I would call them.

D.

Yep, you're killing your baby stomach with pills. They need to be ground up and probably taken one at a time with a few minutes at least in between each pill. Your stomach is protesting but get this confirmed with your surgeon's office. Good Luck!

I was told not to swallow any pills until 3 months out. All pills should be ground up until then. Hope you get to feeling better.

Funny how doctors are all different, my doctor was giving me pills right off. . he said they wouldn't cause any problems whatsoever, so that is what i do, and he was right, no problems . . . i can even swallow 2 tylenol pms without difficulty . . . no reflux, no pain, no problem. . .

Make sure you are taking any ppi like nexium....at least 30 minutes before you eat or take anything else.

I sounds like your stomach is producing a normal acid response, but since you now have a tiny stomach it is way too much.

PPI's like nexium must first be absorbed and in the blood stream to stop over acid production.

I had this happen about two weeks ago when I tried to take my Multivitamin horse pill for the first time since surgery. Now I take a crushed version of the Multivitamin prescribed by my pcp. The tummy just did not like that pill. I've taken tylenol with no problem. Vitamins are nasty though, and I guess the sleeve knew that.

The acid in your esophagus leaves it irritated for about 24 hours so it is recommended to "back up" the "diet" for a day or so, and since I was on regular food, I "backed up" to mushy foods for 24 hours after I vomited. In your case, you should only be on clear fluids anyway, and NO solid pills at all, as the others have said. Your sleeve is freshly done, and you could cause a leak by putting anything else in it. My surgeon recommends clears for 10 days, then full liquids for 10 days, then mushy foods for 10 days before going on regular foods. Be sure you are following your surgeon's recommendations, so you don't end up having a leak, re-hospitalization, and other severe consequences.

I know some surgeons allow their patients to have pills and regular foods sooner after surgery, but my personal opinion is, I'd rather be careful than sorry afterwards. I'm glad my surgeon is conservative about this issue. Complications are not only VERY expensive, they can also cost you your life. So be careful!!!

I checked with my surgeon regarding pills and capsules. They said, no problem having sythroid (pill), B-Complex (2 capsules) and Omeprazole (1 Capsule) and chewable multi Vitamin and chewable Calcium. I haven't had any issues whatsoever and I'm 8 days out from surgery. I try to spread the capsules out, so they're not sitting in my tummy all at once.

I talked to my surgeon today. He still stands by the fact that you can have pills. I expressed my concern and he assured me that it was okay-but that each pill should be spread out by 30 minutes. He said that after a week that the place (sorry, don't know the name) where the stomach empties-it tightens up a bit. He said that probably happened and that is why I was okay doing that at first, but now I need to watch it.

I'm glad you were able to talk to your surgeon. I was allowed to have pills immediately post-op as well.

I take my Prilosec in the morning, and then I wait 1 entire hour before taking anything else (food or pill).

I hope your throat feels better soon.

Docs are all so different. I'll be on chewable vitamins and liquid pain reliever for a month. I don't know about the PPI as I'm still pre-op.

Yep, you're killing your baby stomach with pills. They need to be ground up and probably taken one at a time with a few minutes at least in between each pill. Your stomach is protesting but get this confirmed with your surgeon's office. Good Luck!

How do you know that I am killing my stomach? Is there any evidence to support that? I am just wondering why so many people can take pills without incident. If a bunch of people were having problems, I would understand. I just really want to learn more so that I can prevent any major issues.

I was also instructed to crush my pills for at least a month after surgery. In the hospital after they removed my IV the nurses would administer the meds to me in crushed pill form.