Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanks Legallyblonde2. We have to get together again at some point. The next time I am in Ventura will be in July. Any chances?

Lopez was one of the other Doctors which was doing surgery at that hospital , during the time frame.. He had nothing to do with me in particular.. He was just one of the surgeons listed. So please dont think he had anything to do with it.. I dont even think I seen him, not unless it was when I was "out of it" . I just had mentioned his name responding to the surgeons at that Clinic at the time...Again I have no comment on him, dont even know him...And by the way Thanks... so much for the prayers!!! Everyone here is great and I appreciate the support!!!

I am so sorry to hear about your difficulties with your surgery. I also went to Mexico to have my surgery done, but so far everything has been great. The only complication I have had is a stubborn incision that is healing slowly. This was because the stitches should have been left in for a few more days. I went through Betancourt Medical who I know used to use the Molding Clinic. They advised me that they had severed their relationship with the molding clinic due to problems such as yours. I would really like to know the name of your doctor. The doctors that are involved with Betancourt Medical are Dr. Navarro, Dr. Juncua, and Dr. Lopez. If these are the same doctors under just a different name, they can be located online at Betancourtmedical.com. If these are the same people, then others need to know the risk they are taking by using this facility. I looked and looked for information before I had my surgery and could not find anything negative about them. Please, Please let me know, because I have a friend considering going to these people also. Just because I had a positive experience, does not mean she will. Any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

I had my surgery in Monterrey Mexico, January 29th, 2006, with a company called Lite N Free. I have ventured into this site many times to see some of the discussions and responses and I felt strongly to have my own response today. I truly believe that complications can happen and will happen. I don't think any medical procedure is a perfect science, if performed by quality surgeons. After seeing this procedure on the Oprah Winfrey show over 2 years ago, I started to research all of my options. It took me well over a year to make my decision. The major decison for me was where this surgery would be performed. I was in a private hospital that was well equiped for any complications that could occur. Let's face it, if you have to lose over 100 pounds we have to admit that we are already a walking complication with many health issues. Do I have some issues with the band?? Of course, and with anything "foreign", (I call my port "the alien") in the body, it takes time to adjust. BUT the major difference today for me is the total transformation that includes eating properly, taking Vitamins (liquid only) and exercising daily. When I try to eat something and I know it will cause a PB ( I think that is the term)...well I made that choice. It is a LIFE changing procedure, not a miracle for weight loss. It is hard, just like it is hard for every obese person out there that are dealing with bad eating habits. It will never go away...it is how you accept it!!! I was just hoping to shed (no punt intended) some positive light for those who are considering this procedure. And for those who have had such terrible complications, first let me say thank you for your posts to help others. I hope that they are able to bounce back and be healthy.

Date of Surgery:

01/29/06

Total Weight Loss (with a lot of exercise and 1200 calories a day): 50 lbs.

kpeterson this reply is to you. I am very Happy everything turned out great for you! As for the "Betancourt Clinic" it is still the same owner which is "Andres" he just seem to have to change the name. As for the Dr. listed , My doctor is not listed. But yes he is still in the picture on the Home page. Bottom right hand corner.. Why he is not listed puts a question in my mind.? There is also a doc. listed by the name of Manuel Juncua, which shows no picture when you bring him up. So again, don't know.. I do know that people have wrote me and told me that the clinic has been shut down twice since my surgery .. One was because of the Banding company, and one said it was because of the Mexican Embassy. One patient also got her money back do to complications, which Andres refused but another Doctor contacted him and persuade him it was the right thing to do, if not they would go to other messures.. She ended up getting her procedure redone here in the states and he also repaired their mistakes. So there are others.. These are hear say, not facts.. I dont think people would lie, but like me when I posted my response, accusation were made that I was lieing. "whatever" I have no reason to lie and I am sure they do not either. But I do know this , I have tried to call them and they will not return my calls.. Which I think is awful.. I just want a apology and want to know why they lied.. And exactly what did happen in that suurgery room. If you have nothing to hide, why lie?? So anyways back to your question.. I do not know if they have changed Doctors or if they have just changed names, I cant give that accusation, I can tell you he is still in the pic. but not listed under the original name.. And I am saying this.. I am not blaming all on the Doc. because I dont really know what happened in that surgery room, but I do know this.. They lied, and they were trying to hide something.. What? I do not know because again they wont respond to me, but I do know if complications like mine happen, they can NOT handle them. And complications will happen sooner or later and who's to say if the next patient will be you, and if so why go somewhere that cant handle them? I know they have supposibly good deals $$$ but my good deal turned out over $500,000.. People change and things may be better and maybe Andres turned his way around and the facility, but i am not willing to find out on my expense or anyone else I know. So you decide if you or your freind is willing to take that chance. Ther are many good Doctors and facilitys out there, even in Mexico, but just remember a little extra cost is worth alot more than your life.. :) And again I am very happy everything went well for you!!! Goodluck to you and your freind!!!

Good Morning, first let me say that I am the patient coordinator for Betancourt Medical Center. So, when I first came to lapbandtalk, I was a patient and posted regularly, since I began working for the center, last year, I only read, I never post because of conflict and I dont want it to seem that I am trying to get business. BUT.. I must say today that I am deeply disturbed by the post that claims that the surgeons here at Betancourt are the same surgeons that did the surgery of misfortune, I kno w this for a fact because I happen to have been at the Molding clinic at the time of her procedure. Our surgeon, the only lapband surgeon we use is Dr Lopez Dominquez. Misfortunes surgeon was Dr Huacuz, as she stated a few posts back. So, look at his site Huacuz.com and look at our site Betancourtmedical.com... you will clearly see, that her surgeon is NOT in our picture the man she is referring to is an anesthesiologist not a surgeon at all. So, to clear that up, Dr Huacuz and Dr Lopez are nothing alike and look nothing alike and besides both of them at one point working with Andres Betancourt, have absolutely nothing in common.

Now as for Andres Betancourt, he has been in the lapband business for 13 years. Many of the surgeons in Tijuana, got there start with him. He was not just the patient coordinator for them, but rather the person behind most of their success. (Dr Verboonan, Dr ponce de leon, Dr Lopez, Dr Huacuz, Dr Covarubias, Dr Ramos Kelly, Dr Betancourt another surgeon in Tj.) Now, Andres is an good person and when someone does something that he feels is not right or puts his name in a bad way, he parts ways, some of his relationships with these surgeons ended that way and some were just due to other reasons. So, what I am getting at is that he has been around, and has had the same phone number thru all of this, so ANY one could contact him at the same phone number. When he left Molding Clinic, he took the number with him, and for Misfortune it's 866-806-4286 I answer that phone 24/7 and have for the past year and I have never received a call from you. That is the number you called to schedule your procedure at the Molding Clinic and that is the same number that has always been linked to Andres Betancourt.

Misfortune, I can not comment on your medical situation due to patient privacy issues, but I can say that Andres was NOT in the OR with you and only went by what he was told by YOUR surgeon whom is NOT our surgeon now. He is upset to hear about your situation and DID NOT ask a nurse at the hospital where you were if you were dead yet.. that is NOT true and I think you know that.

As for the issue involving another patient who had a complication, by the same surgeon who performed Misfortunes procedure, Andres did refuse to give her a refund and to this day stands by his decision but the refund did ultimately come from the surgeon who performed her surgery.

As for other issues that involved Andres Betancourt, I am not going to sit her and defend him all day because it is impossible to please 100% of the people 100% of the time.

I am not hear to argue with anyone.. I do Know I have contacted or rather tried to contact Andres. And yet no return call!!! My number has not changed either. I know who my Anesthesiologist was Pablo Castro.. A very nice man.. And yes he is that Pic. but that is not who I am saying..So..???And as for asking if I had survived? Or if I am still alive, That was what I was told, and I know THAT!!!!! And if he was sorry or concerned, you tell me why he will not return my calls!? I am not asking you to defend Andres. And I also know you said you are a "patient" of theirs, and now you work for them. Which means you was not in that surgery room and you do "not" know what happened to me. I dont know what happened to me and it was my body! And Like I said many times, all I want is information, why, and apology. This has changed my life drastically, you have no idea!! I am a single mother in debt up to my butt, lost my job, unable to work any physical job, very unhealthy, had 6 surgery's and need more, but do not have insurance. So you defend him and everyone there, as far as I am concerned, but you have no idea...

One more thing I did not say it was the same surgeon under a differant name, if you notice I said he is no longer listed, and I do not know the other surgeons, and one more thing I did not say nothing of Lopez, I said I had never met him.. And as for the picture of the gentleman, I am saying the one in the right hand corner in front of Violet does look like him, and if he is a anethes.. why is he not listed? I do not see him listed under staff. And if that is not him ,he sure looks like him to me, and if I am wrong I have no problem saying "sorry" and i was wrong. Unlike others.. God Bless

To everyone out there that has or is reading these threads. I thank you all very much for the thoughts and the prayers that has been sent to me. But for the ones that seem to make accusations about me and my experience, I am not trying to be nasty, but you are making it very hard for me. I have noticed that several of you do not want to hear the bad experiences and feel that you have to defend someone. But they do happen.. And I do not see anyone telling the people that had a "good" experience that it was not true, or noone is making accusations about them.. Saying that is not true " you did not have a good experience and you are lieing because I know that Doctor or facility and it was a bad experience." Everyone is always ready and wanting to hear the good, but doesnt want to face the bad.

Melissa this is to you and anyone else that does not beleive me.. I realize you was a patient at the same clinic and as you say you now represent that facility. And I am very happy things went well for you. But... dont be blind..You said you was there when I had my procedure and that you know what happened to me,but due to patient privacy issues you can not discuss them. Well if you know what happened to me, and Andres also knows, and you still want to make accusations... then this really disturbs me. And by all means let me refresh your memory , and due to patients privacy, and me being the patient, please allow me to share.

First off, I had my procedure in May,2005.. I had complications, flew to Mexico 3 times. 3rd time went back to have band removed..Was very ill. Band was removed, and Andres calls my boyfreind and says he needs to come and get me . The clinic can no longer can take care of me because my illness got worse and they did not have the facility to care for me. Went to Cali. Diagnosis was made by Mexican Surgeon in Mexico which was wrote down and sent to Cali. Diagnosis was read to my boyfreind by Andres that I had postoperative pancreatitis. Went to Cali. and was treated for that diagnosis. They gave me several medicines and liquids, but I was only getting worse. Finally after several days and more test they had found i had perforations in the abdomen and pneumonia. All of the medicines and liquids they had been given to me was seeping out of my stomach into my body, causing serious infection. During the repair of the preforation, the surgeons went in and found another hole that had already been sutured in Mexico. It was very infected and had alot of dead around it. They also repaired that hole, which ment removal of portions of my stomach. During this process they realized Mexico had cut one of my main blood flows to my stomach because it had been in the way of the banding. And without the bloodflow the tissue around the stomach could do nothing but die, which could have caused the holes.. Again another hole, which more removal of the stomach took place.. Now during this whole time I was only getting worse because of all the infection in my body, everything started to shut down.. I was put on life support.. My boyfreind sit there 24 hrs, watching the one he loved slowly dieing, my kids came to see there mother totally helpless with tubes running out her nose, mouth and chest. They had to make a decision in 2 weeks to either keep me alive longer or just say "goodbye".

And for what reason?? Because someone had Lied and tried to cover their mistake. It could have been prevented only if someone would have lived up to their mistakes.. So if you knew this is really what happened, and so did Andres, then why ... Why do you make accusations.. And why doesnt Andres just call. If he sincerly had nothing to do with this, and he knew what happened, then pick up the phone and give me some answers..This is someones life, and if he is such a sincere man and is so concerned of his patients.. ??? Now mind you when he called my boyfreind to come and get me, yes they had the van pick him up from the airport, but when he arrived at the clinic they made him pay $60.00. I am laying their very ill and they ask for more money just because they picked him up.. What kinda crap is that? Oh and here is the best part, after I was being sent to Cali. by Ambulance they had the nerve again to ask him for more money due to my complications... WOW! So excuse me if I seem a little bitter!!

But this was and is my life and it was almost gone . And until or if you experience watching a loved one lay and die, or you experience yourself dieing and thinking you might not ever see your kids again, just because of someones else mistake and lies.. Then you can comment on mine, but please get your facts straight because the next person might not take it as well as me..

God Bless everyone ..And i wish nothing but the best and great success in your new life! But I am very tired of argueing, so if anyone has replys or questions please reply to me personally and I will do my best to respond back.. Best Wishes..

Maybe you should sue the doctor, clinic and the people involved in your care. This seems like a horrible ordeal for you.. I would especially be mad about all the arguing from people associated with the clinic. I wonder if the physician or the clinic know their staff is commenting about such things on websites.. Also, Jboy flew the coop so he must have "Investigated" and found out you are telling the truth.

Dear Misfortune,

I am so sorry to hear of your ordeal. It must of been the most horrible experience anyone could deal with. I am sorry your family had to go thru this. I am glad that you made it thru. I do not know if I would be as brave as you to have survived and then have to deal with all the complications you have to deal with. I would like to thank you for reporting your experience. It is very important for us to hear these experiences good or bad so we can make up our own mind. It was very difficult for me to make the decision to go to Mexico to have surgery having read some of the negative posts. But they helped give me a somewhat realistic idea of what I could be dealing with. I say somewhat because I could never truly understand what you are going thru without going thru it myself which I pray I never do. I know that I am still not out of the woods. Anything could go wrong and I just pray that nothing does. You just never know who is going to have a bad experience. It could be any of us. This is the chance we take with getting this surgery. With that said, your ordeal is completely unacceptable. How any doctor could accept the money to do the surgery and then not have the morals to deal with the situation with things go wrong is beyond me. I pray you will have the best life you can possibly have with your family. It is so sad how one decision can change your whole life. You try to make your life better and put your life into these doctor's hands and look what has happened. Thanks for your comments. We need to hear the good and the bad to help us think about what we are doing and the doctor to whom we are entrusting our lives to. I hope that I will not have a story like this somewhere down the line. I don't think I could handle it.

hello, I too have had surgery in tiajuana mexico. On the other hand my experience was a good one. My procedure was not done at the molding clinic however. The md's I had were very intelligient and had life sustaining equipment at hand. Believe me I am a nurse and I had to check this out before I went. I was scared that if something happened to me on the table they could not revive me or whatever. Gratefully no problems.. My experience in La with the fills was a different story. They were horrible

And, I see you are an Ortiz patient. He uses a much better equipped Radiological Center--I've been there several times--than Kuri's x-ray place. But there is no hospital in Tijuana that is on a par, in terms of staff size and training and equipment, with the even the most modest community hospital available in most areas of the US.

Not to hyjack this thread or anything but Dr. Kuri uses the new hospital now for his floro and IMHO the new hospital is ABOVE par with anything I have seen in the states.

To the OP.... Thank you for sharing your story in a most grown up manner. You did not bash your doctor but instead advised others to do their research.

I am glad you are doing better and I wish you well in your continued recovery.

Jamie

awayfrmitall: Please do not feel you are hyjacking anything.. All comments are very welcome with me, and I beleive everyone feels the same. Yes I have tried my best not to bash the Doc. Haucuz..Although it has been very hard..: ) but like you said I am just here to share and maybe help someone else... And yes it is about research, but like Jboy (the attorney) said research..research.. research.. and he had surgery with him, and had no idea of me. But i am assuming now he does.. So no matter how much research, many things are still very well hidden..Since I have posted this I have heard of others with the same Doc. Not quite the extreme as mine but... they are there.. And the sad part is he is still practicing( and i do mean practicing) lol . I just pray that everyone this man touches has had a prayer said for them! I also just recently heard that someone that was in the hospital at the time of my incident, had said that "he (Haucuz) ran out the back door when the American Counsel showed up.. again this is heresay, but if this is true it is very, very hard for me to not try to Bash him.. He alsmost took my life, it is so hard to forgive , but i am sure i eventually will, but i will never forget.. And one more thing I was also told that the Clinic no longer associates themselves with him, and he now has his own facility. So beware! Alot of things have changed since my incident hospitals ,doctors and everything.. So like I have said before, RESEARCH! Thanks again for your reply Jamie.. God Bless.. Oh and one more thing .. I have a question for everyone out there that reads this ... If you was in my shoes, would your try to contact him personally again, and what exactly would you ask for? I dont know if I can legally do anything now since it has been a year, but does anyone have any advice for me, or maybe some suggestions.. Thank you so much.. And if anyone does not want to Quick reply me, then please feel free to send it to me privately.

I think that I would definately contact an attorney to find out what you can do, even to get financial compensation for all of the debt you are in now. It's been a year, but for a good portion of that year you were getting treatment to help with the original incident.

I'm not sure I would try and contact the doctor again myself, because likely he wont give you anything, or call your back or anything, but if you could get the law envolved you might be able to get some relief.

Many lawyers will talk to you over the phone and tell you whether they think you have a case or whether they think they can help you.

If you wouldn't mind, would you keep us updated if you are able to get anywhere?

Sarah, thanks.. Well I did contact a couple lawyers and they said they can not help me due to not having a liscence in that area. Yes you re correct about having continious procedures, so maybe I might still have time. I will check into that.. Good thinking! : ) I was not going to persue this but now I hear there are so many others out there, and I am paying for it financially and physically, while he is living it up , opening his own facility and still doing what he is doing. And like you said he has no intention on responding to me or he would have already..You know it is one thing to think about things, but when you hear it from others it seems to open your eyes a little more.. And yes I will continue to update anything I do find out.. Thanks again, and God Bless..