Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fellow sleevers help please!!

So I'm about a month out and having some troubles. I still get alot of heartburn which is understandable and I take chewable Pepcid for this issue, but my biggest concern is the horrible nausea I get!! I get it daily, usually with dry heeves. No matter what I eat, how much Water I drink, or how much Protein I get in. It is really making me unhappy, and I almost regret the surgery. I cannot live a normal life like this, and so far haven't been able to return to work it is so bad. The doctor said that nausea is normal...but I haven't read about anyone having this much of it and this bad. He prescribed Promethazine, which didn't seem to help much and only made me sleepy, and I also tried Promethegan suppositories which don't help either. It has been a rough month for me, and I am so scared I will have to live the rest of my life in this pain!!!:scared0:

I take Norco for a previous back injury, the doctor told me that I shouldn't have any trouble with that. I thought maybe this medication is too strong for my new tummy.

I never had any trouble with nausea and medication before.

I was thinking about trying Prilosec, does that help with nausea too?

I don't believe I have a leak because I am able to get food down, and I don't get any strong shooting pains.

Sometimes I feel great, but this daily nausea is getting to me and I am becoming more and more depressed!

So my questions to all of you are:

1) Did anyone feel this much nausea?

2) Is anyone taking any kind of nsaids?

3) When will it end?

4) Is something wrong with me?

Please help!!!:confused1:

Try the prilosec for heavens sake. Your Doctor should not be letting you suffer like this. Try a peptobismal type product for a few days. You poor girl, you are not supposed to suffer thru stuff like this. Eat a really bland diet for a few days. It sounds like your tummy has not healed and needs help to do so. I hope you get help form others who have gone thru this.

God speed.

Oh Angel, that is terrible news! I'm so sorry this is happening to you, how depressing. . I can only agree with Carolyn, take the prilosec and pepto. . . my goodness. . go back to basics, try the liquids/mushies again and like she said let your tummy heal. . . good luck, i hope it helps. . .

I second Carolyn's suggestion of getting on a true acid reducer (Prilosec, Nexium,Prevacid Protonix). I had nausea and it was all related to the acid.

Pepcid is for once the acid is already overproduced/ing, and it isn't going to prevent it. All of the acid can in fact irritate your stomach lining and lead to further issues down the road.

Nausea this far out is NOT normal especially when you are having heartburn on top of it.

Run out and get you some Prevacid OTC or Prilosec OTC. The Prilosec took about 10-14 days to completely kick in, but I had less nausea within 5-6 days once I started taking the Prilosec in the morning. I take mine 1 hour before eating anything, and I haven't had any further issues.

Angel,

I am so sorry for this agony. I have not had this issue with nausea. I am one month out and take Pepcid - that's it, and I have not had any issue at all. I have never taken the Prilosec - can you take a capsule? I thought everything had to be liquid or dissolvable? Good luck!

Hi Angel,

I'm so sorry about your trouble as well.I would suggest asking your doctor for Reglan.It works really well for nausea,heartburn etc.....Promethiziene is like taking a tranquilizer.I had nausea and vomitting for my whole pregnancy and nothing helped except Reglan.Please get better soon.Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I guess the first thing I am going to do is try the Prilosec since that is the easiest to obtain. I didn't know it helped with nausea too, or that my nausea was caused by acids. I really hope this works. My doctor said that one month after surgery I should be able to take pills normally again, so I hope they go down easily.

I think now I might need medication for depression though, I have been so hard on myself about all this...I really feel down right sad! Well, I will wait to see if the Prilosec helps me feel better, maybe then I can finally begin the exciting journey I was hoping for!!!

So I'm scared all these dry heaves will hurt my new tummy or even cause a hernia...any thoughts on this? I had a hernia operated on at the same time of surgery.

Thanks again all, I appreciate all of your thoughts/prayers/advice. Nice to know my sleeve family is here for me!!

Angel, hang in there. I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly. Hopefully all of the suggestions you've gotten will help!

Hi Angel,

I'm so sorry about your trouble as well.I would suggest asking your doctor for Reglan.It works really well for nausea,heartburn etc.....Promethiziene is like taking a tranquilizer.I had nausea and vomitting for my whole pregnancy and nothing helped except Reglan.Please get better soon.Your in my thoughts and prayers.

I am very sorry, i was taking zofran, not reglan.i looked at medicine package which said onadasteron, which i dont know why i mixed them up.Sorry for the wrong information!

I am very sorry, i was taking zofran, not reglan.i looked at medicine package which said onadasteron, which i dont know why i mixed them up.Sorry for the wrong information!

I'm glad you corrected yourself because I had horrific reaction to the Reglan and now I will claim I am allergic to it. It caused severe anxiety and restlessness in me and it was terrible. Zophran works. Ask your doctor for a script for Zophran, it comes in pills and also in tabs that melt in your mouth. If your not taking an ant-acid I am taking Aciphex 20 MG tablet 1 x daily. The pills are round and tiny. I've have not had any side effects (that I am aware of) to date.

If the Zophran and taking a PPI do not help then I would notify your surgeon and have him check you further.

I do not recommend Reglan. I know many people here have not had any side effects from it but the potential for bad and irreversible side effects are very real. My lower lip began to twitch one morning and then subsided but I got myself off the Reglan. I had it administered IV for 5 days in the hospital and then was taking it at home in pill form 4xper day! I am positive it caused the anxiety and probably had I stayed on it my face would be twitching and worse, to this day.

I agree with what everyone said, you must get an acid reducer. And, I personally believe that sometimes the antacids do cause nausea, as I've experienced that many times in the past when taking Tums or Pepcid (prior to the sleeve). For the first few days in the hospital, I tried to choke down dissolved Nexium, and I threw up and felt very nauseous after it each day. When I got home, the doc told me to switch to Prilosec or Prevacid, which can be taken whole with Water... they are very small. I tried Prevacid and it has been a god-send. I figured because Prilosec and Nexium are closely related in their chemical make-up, I'd try the Prevacid. Have felt so much better (in terms of my nausea and acid) since the day I started.

Hope this helps and that you feel better soon! Hang in there! :thumbup:

One more thing... I got the Prevacid pretty cheaply at costco. If you have one near by, you can get 3 bottles with 14 once a day doses for about $25.

Costco - Prevacid?24HR Acid Reducer 15 mg. 42 Capsules

Walmart and Target also have it, but they are a few dollars more than costco.< /p>

Walmart.com: Prevacid 24HR Acid Reducer Delayed-Release Capsules, 42ct: Medicine Cabinet

Edited by youknowit
typo