Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dealing with Pre-Op Anxiety?

How do/did y'all deal with the pre-surgery nerves? I have never had an operation before and as the big day, Feb 10th, draws near I am getting super anxious. It is very difficult now that I am on the pre-op diet and can't use food to calm my nerves. I know that this is the start of a new lifestyle and I have been preparing by seeing a psychologist and cleaning out my kitchen. Still, it is hard to be in one of the most stressful times of my life and not have food as a comfort. I am going to push myself through this and would love to hear from others about they handled this difficult time.

Thanks!

I hope someone else can chime in with their experience. I can't recall feeling this way pre-op except right before they put me in the stand-by room for the OR. I asked for some iv valium and that helped immensely.

I did try to focus on all the positives that would come my way post-op. Anything negative that came into my mind, I turned it into a positive.

You have a great day - the 10th is my birthday. YOU will do GREAT!

I had surgery last Wednesday and while I am still recuperating, I am feeling better day by day. (Nasty shoulder pain though.)

I can totally understand the anxiety. I had my share - you can bet. But, the day before surgery, I was talking to my surgeon and I totally felt at peace. This is the right thing - you've done your research and have picked the surgery for you. Congratulations!!! Post out here if you need any support.

When I got nervous or started second guessing myself, I went to my closet....I would put on the clothes that used to fit and now I can't even put on. I would then look in the mirror and remind myself that long term, I want to look good and looking good, makes me feel good..Also, I would look at pics of myself and again, the brutal honesty was staring back at me....This type of shock therapy worked for me everytime I started to think, oh I'm not that big, or oh I can try Weight Watchers again, or oh what about all the great big meals I will miss....Hope this helps you a little bit.

When I got nervous or started second guessing myself, I went to my closet....I would put on the clothes that used to fit and now I can't even put on. I would then look in the mirror and remind myself that long term, I want to look good and looking good, makes me feel good..Also, I would look at pics of myself and again, the brutal honesty was staring back at me....This type of shock therapy worked for me everytime I started to think, oh I'm not that big, or oh I can try Weight Watchers again, or oh what about all the great big meals I will miss....Hope this helps you a little bit.

Bambi, this will help me!! I am going to take some snap shots and a video of myself and put them in my laptop, so I can have them with me when I am in the hospital. I am going to go take out all my "skinny" clothes and put on what fits now. Look at what I have waiting for me in the months to come. I know I so look forward to looking better.

Anxiety is part of this process, but I think Tiff and the others had great ideas. I, myself, try to find my "happy place" and stay focused on the positives. I had thought about seeing a psychiatrist before hand, I have decided to ask my doctor what he thinks, but it might be a good idea.

Good luck!!!

Rob