Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diabetes and The Sleeve

I am curious if there is anyone else out there with Type II Diabetes that can answer this question. Does the Diabetes disappear after the surgery? I have heard it works well with the DS surgery, but I have heard nothing about the sleeve. Please, if you have answers ... share =)

Thanks,

Rob

Hello,

I'm not a doctor, nurse or diabetic, so I don't know the answer. In my support group I hear people share that their Type II Diabetes went away after surgery. My facility only does RNY, LapBand and now the Sleeve.

I just looked at your family pictures. Your children are adorable and you and your wife are a lovely couple. Wishing you much success on this journey to renewed health!

I am curious if there is anyone else out there with Type II Diabetes that can answer this question. Does the Diabetes disappear after the surgery? I have heard it works well with the DS surgery, but I have heard nothing about the sleeve. Please, if you have answers ... share =)

Thanks,

Rob

I don't have DM myself but I've read posts from a lot of diabetics who say it disappeared after their sleeve. My hypertension and depression disappeared after I lost about 50 lbs...no more meds. Boy, is that great! Good luck with losing your diabetes!!!

I am 2 weeks post-op and stopped taking all meds because my sugar levels where staying around 85-95 throughout the day until I started full liquids then had to start back on Lantus 40 unit 1 time a day, (long lasting insulin). More carbs and sugar in the Soups and yougert I guess. Will be adding in more exercise this weekend so hoping that will help.I sure like the fact that I don't have to take the crushed Metforman that made me gag it tasted sooooo bad:thumbdown:. My hope is to get off all meds as the wieght comes off, we'll see.

Brenda

I've read several successful stories on obesityhelp stating that once patients dropped 50-75lbs their diabetes was completely resolved, and they were living med free with normal bs levels.

Within this presentation (Slide 18) it states 83% out of 1,000 patients over a 5 year time frame had resolution of their diabetes.

http://www.ssat.com/video/2008/SSAT%2049th%20Annual%20Meeting(3)-Cirangle.htm

Well, I can tell you that I was on Metformin 1000mg 2x a day, Celebrex 200 mg 2x a day,

Glyburide 5 mg 1x a day & Lisonopril 40 mg 1x a day. I am currently not taking ANY of the above anymore. Now, I may need to start taking a low dose Metformin for a little while now that I am eating solids again, but I won't know that for another week or so. We are watching my sugars which are still the lowest they have been in over 10 years!!! It is a miracle, we just have to make sure we have learned our lessons and can keep it moving forward!

I've read several successful stories on obesityhelp stating that once patients dropped 50-75lbs their diabetes was completely resolved, and they were living med free with normal bs levels.

Within this presentation (Slide 18) it states 83% out of 1,000 patients over a 5 year time frame had resolution of their diabetes.

http://www.ssat.com/video/2008/SSAT%2049th%20Annual%20Meeting(3)-Cirangle.htm

Oh thanks Tiff for the link.. You know how I just love resources =) AND a positive one at that WOOT!

Well, I can tell you that I was on Metformin 1000mg 2x a day, Celebrex 200 mg 2x a day,

Glyburide 5 mg 1x a day & Lisonopril 40 mg 1x a day. I am currently not taking ANY of the above anymore. Now, I may need to start taking a low dose Metformin for a little while now that I am eating solids again, but I won't know that for another week or so. We are watching my sugars which are still the lowest they have been in over 10 years!!! It is a miracle, we just have to make sure we have learned our lessons and can keep it moving forward!

Thanks for the response MrNickSr...I am currently on Metaformin 2xsdaily, Minidiab(glipizide) now reduced to 1xdaily, and Actos 2xsdaily. Those are just my diabetes meds, not included are blood pressure, an acid reducer, and cholesterol meds LOL. Your words are incouraging. Thanks again!

Rob

I am 2 weeks post-op and stopped taking all meds because my sugar levels where staying around 85-95 throughout the day until I started full liquids then had to start back on Lantus 40 unit 1 time a day, (long lasting insulin). More carbs and sugar in the Soups and yougert I guess. Will be adding in more exercise this weekend so hoping that will help.I sure like the fact that I don't have to take the crushed Metforman that made me gag it tasted sooooo bad:thumbdown:. My hope is to get off all meds as the wieght comes off, we'll see.

Brenda

Ohhh Brenda, I am SO NOT looking forward to crushed metaformin. I hate the taste when I am taking it whole LOL! Otherwise I am sure that the yogurt is the culprit in your increased b/s...it has always played a role in mine, so I eat it less often. Keep on keepin on, once the weight is off I am sure your DM will go completely away =)