Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long before did you start your PRE-OP DIET? Days? weeks?

So I was wondering how long before you started your (sugar free) PRE-OP diet? how many days/weeks before?

I was simply told to cut sugar out- eat pretty much an Atkins type diet- does that sound right? any suggestions?

Is two weeks enough for a pre-op diet? he didn't mention it should be liquid....I'm sooo confused!!

So I was wondering how long before you started your (sugar free) PRE-OP diet? how many days/weeks before?

I was simply told to cut sugar out- eat pretty much an Atkins type diet- does that sound right? any suggestions?

Is two weeks enough for a pre-op diet? he didn't mention it should be liquid....I'm sooo confused!!

Hello, and welcome,

I had to go on a two week pre-op diet. I had to have 4-5 Protein milkshakes, one Protein Bar and 32-64 oz. of Water each day. You can buy the whey Protein milkshake from different places. I bought mine from GNC but they are expensive there, I got mine on sale for half price. Wal-mart has some for $14.98 for one tub. It has serving size and amount of protein for each serving. If the protein is 52-60 grams, then you can use only half of the serving size per milkshake. I liked the Atkins Protein Bars that were the Peanut Butter ones the best. They are high in protein, low glycemic, low carbs.

I used those plastic mugs with Water inside them and put them in the freezer prior to making my milkshakes. When I would make my milkshakes, I poured them into the mugs, I made 2 servings at a time and it would fill up at least 2-3 of the mugs. I set the ones I was not using in the freezer until I could use them. It was like eating ice cream. The only thing is that you should eat them frozen and not let them thaw too much. I also used 1% milk in my shakes , pineapple and strawberrys in the strawberry flavored shakes were real good. The chocolate flavored ones tasted good with pecans or walnuts blended up in them. I hope this helps. If they are not sweet enough, you can use splenda in them, I used 2 paks in 2 servings. After surgery I drank shakes until I was able to go on soft foods at 2 weeks out and then I couldn't handle them any more.

Different doctors put different people on different preop diets. It depends on the person and how much weight they might need to lose pre-op. It is important to shrink the liver. The liver is in front of the stomach and sometimes it is very fatty and this helps the doctors to see the stomach during surgery. I wish you all the best.

I started about 1 month pre-op. I went to my consultation appointment late June scheduled my surgery for about 5.5 weeks later in the beginning of August. I was given a binder and made another pre-op appointment with both the surgeon and nutritionist (part of the requirements) for 4 weeks pre-op. I read my binder when I got home and it talked about how I needed to begin an Atkins type diet immediately due to my surgery coming up so soon. I'd never done this type of diet and called the office (I was going on a week trip and wasn't sure what to do), they said I should try to cut back on the carbs and the nutritionist would explain things at my pre-op appointment and really begin the diet 1 month pre-op.

My surgeon's practice puts some on a liquid diet and has some do the Atkins style diet depending on bmi and/or comorbidities. I did have to do 2 days of a clear liquid diet right before surgery.

You may want to call the office just for clarification.

My Kaiser program is different from the others that I've read. At orientation everyone is given a 1200 calorie a day diet to follow, to help us get to our pre-surgery goal weight. The recommendations are lower carb than most people coming into the program, but some carbs are allowed. Other than that, there are no liquid diets or anything else. Last meal by 6pm the night before, eat light for the last few days.

I think the difference is that we have to lose weight to get a surgery date, while for others, the two week (or whatever length of time) pre-op diet takes care of getting some pounds off.

I had a one week pre op diet of 4 shakes a day. I lost 15 lbs during that week. It was great training for what I am going through right now. (4 days post op) When I came out of surgery, the doctor told my husband that he could tell I followed the preop diet because my liver was small and up high. I don't know what that means, but whatever. It worked. :smile:

I am following a two week diet of a 1000 cals a day consisting of 2 high Protein Shakes and one meal with no junk carbs. I am trying to keep it down to 30 carbs per day with a close eye on the fat intake. It definitely becomes difficult sometimes so I try to focus on an image of a healthy liver.

Good luck!

Pennie

My doc required a one week high Protein, low carb diet (less than 30 carbs per day). I went ahead and started it one week early.

HA! Barbara I started a week early too. I am so glad i got that ketosis headache blah feeling over with before surgery.

HA! Barbara I started a week early too. I am so glad i got that ketosis headache blah feeling over with before surgery.

Is there a strange feeling changing your diet like you and Linda did? I mean that literally, feeling as in headaches, nausea, etc.?

Is there a strange feeling changing your diet like you and Linda did? I mean that literally, feeling as in headaches, nausea, etc.?

Phatman, yes. Sometimes when you get off caffiene or carbs you get a really bad headache that can last a couple of days. I had one for 3 days after I started my preop diet.

Yes. I had a headache and was blah for 3 days. Its happened to me before when I have gone off carbs. It doesn't happen to everyone but many people do experience it.

My surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet, although he said it's always a good idea to try and shed a few pounds beforehand. I started cutting back in general about a week out, did super-low carb for 3 days, then the day before surgery was all liquids, which I still kept low-carb (water, tea, and broth).

I had to do a 2 week liquid pre-op diet. I lost 20lbs and doc could tell by the size of my liver I didn't cheat....