Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Chronic Constipation

I am one month out. I feel wonderful. I have lost 23 lbs., I feel more energetic each day, and I can actually see the results of this work. I feel like I eat fairly normal. Life is good, except..... I have not had one bowel movement since my procedure without the assistance of Milk of Magnesia. I just do not have the the "urge." I am eating food - not liquids only, and it seems kinda weird to me. I take the MOM and go without issue, and I plan to ask my doctor at my 6-wk. check up, but have any of you had issues with chronic costipation. I appreciate your candor, just wondering if this is common with others out there?

I have been able to go on occasion without the aid of MoM. But must admit that there have been several occasions where the assistance of MoM was required. I'm hoping as well this is only temporary and I'm sure that is the case. MoM is not very yummy although the alternative is not too great either.

Probably once we are on more solid foods and maybe less Protein shakes it will be better.

Thanks Longhorn. Nothing personal, but I have always had a bit of an issue, whereas my hubbie thinks this is just "unfathomable." Mr. Regularity. So, it helps to see a gentleman is having some of this issue. I feel like I do not get much Fiber since I am not eating much in the way of veggies or whole grains. Maybe once those are added back in, the situation will resolve. Thanks for the feedback, sleevebuddy! GO HORNS!

I have always had problems with Constipation even before my surgery,but it is a little worse since surgery. I go about 4-5 days. Of course that is not the case today seeing how I have caught a virus!!! I woke up this a.m. and it has been the devil. Hopefully I want get dehydrated with this virus thing.

It was a problem for me before I had gall bladder surgery. Having the gall bladder out seems to cause diarrhea. Now I am on Iron, so I am wondering if it will come back. I bought some fiber one Cereal today to add to my yogurt cause I have a feeling the Iron is going to block me up.

Miralax is great and so is benefiber.

Barbara,

Iron can be very constipating. I only take Iron a couple times a week and drink extra Water those days. I take colace (docusate sodium - a stool softner) every day at bedtime.

I was always very regular before surgery (2-3 times per day). Since surgery I've had problems with Constipation, even Miralax took about 6 days (I think) to get things moving. My longest bought lasted 11 days. Now at almost 6 months out, I eat more of a balanced diet with fiber, etc. but there are still times when I don't go for 3-4 days.

Earlier this week I thought wow, I've gained 1.5 pounds, but sure enough I realized I hadn't had a bm for a few days and after was back to the weight I had been (I know...way too much info.).

FYI-Usually spinach and apples help me, but not always. Good luck!

DeeDee,

Thanks for the candor. I am thinking things may improve when I add some more veggies and fiber. I hope. You are almost at your goal. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Ladies! Please be careful. I just got out of the ER because I ended up with such terrible Constipation it caused a UTI. No one can really say what the culprits were. The American doctors were absolutely NO HELP, they barely listened when I talked about my sleeve, but Gaby and Dr. Aceves were there every step of the way via email.

I am normally really good about my liquids, 64-80 oz a day, but I did have a couple days where I was terrible (12 ounces maybe????) so that was one big cause. Drink your liquids!

Gaby and Dr. A also suggested cutting out the daily Iron and Calcium supplements I was taking for a while, as they might be binding, so we will see.

I need to look on my bottle to see how much Iron I am taking. One of the causes of hair loss is anemia so I definitely don't want to quit taking the Iron even though I hate taking it. I've lost a lot of hair.< /strong>

It's so tricky getting everything right. Iron can't be taken within 2 hours of the acid reducer because Iron needs acid to metabolize. Also Calcium needs to be taken 2 hours after the acid reducer or the calcium won't be metabolized.

Some people have to drink Miralax every day. Miralax just adds Water to the right places. It's not a stimulant laxative.

My VSG surgery was last June 17th. I have learned to live with the fact that I am constipated and that is something I will have to live with..I never had this problem prior to surgery!

The best thing I have found and I have tried numerous brands is Senekot.

I take 2 @ night 2-3x wk and voila the next morning I feel like a million bucks!! :lol0:

If you think your Iron supplement is contributing to the Constipation, my dietitian told me the Bariatric Advantage chewable iron tablets seem to cause less issue with that. Something about how many iron supplements are made up of an iron compound which is what causes the constipation, but the chewables are straight iron (with some Vitamin C) so they don't have that same effect. :) I figure it's worth a shot! I think Thinoneday is taking the chewables & said she doesn't have this problem. Mine are in the mail! :lol0:

My nutritionist recommended a tablespoon of ground flax seed daily in my morning shake. It's helping a lot to prevent Constipation. Other benefits too in healthy omegas.