Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I believe this is the right thing to do.

Hey everyone! I am new here and have been reading for 2 hours already at various stories of people getting the VSG, those who have had it, and those who are waiting to get it or considering it. I want to say, first of all, that I think this site is awesome and I look forward to communicating with as many of you as possible about your journey and share mine. So, here is mine is short.

I an an American living in Norway. I married my Norwegian wife in the USA 5 years ago and we have 3 kids. I never thougth I would ever have kids this late in life and certainly never planned on being this heavy.

I have had Type II Diabetes for the past 16 years - it kicked in when I became 310lbs. At 5'6, now at 270 that sets my BMI to about 43.5. I do not look all that big, but my knees tell me that I am. I feel like I constantly battling my weight. As many of you, it has been for the majority of my life.

My doctor here recommended it last year and told me that because of my diabetes he recommended WLS. I was, of course, very skeptical. I had NEVER considered myself to be a candidate, but then he explained everything to me and it was like...WOW, I AM a candidate. Soooo, he put in my application. Because this is socialized medicine here in Norway, I am going to get my surgery paid for, which was one major stress relief. Well, anyway, that was last year, and on the 16th this month I got my letter to report to the hospital for my pre-ed and pre-op examination. Been there and did that. I am now just kind of trying to put it all together in my head, and it is all I can think about.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I will keep you updated.

Hi Phatman Walking!

Welcome to VST!! There are so many wonderful people on here with TONS of information. Please feel free to ask away. Do keep us posted on your journey.

Welcome Phatmanwalking . . . I was just reading your screen name and said to myself it's amazing how we see ourselves isn't it. . . i'm so happy that you have rec'd your date for WLS, your going to be really happy with it. . . i'm 4 weeks out and at first thought i did the wrong thing, but now am so happy i did this . . . i don't miss food at all anymore, i just go along with what my doctor wants me to do and i'm just fine . . . this is a great forum, we are fun and supportive, we answer all and any questions there are . . . never think a question is stupid, cause the only stupid question is the one not asked. . . we are here for you whenever you need us. . . welcome again and hope to hear from you soon!

Welcome to VST, and it's wonderful to hear that you'll be getting your surgery covered. That's always wonderful news ! ! !

Keep us posted on your progress, and when you get your surgery date scheduled.

So I am really new to this whole procedure as well, and just wanted to put my question out there, too. I hope it's not too off topic - did any of you get that feeling that if you just tried one more time to be a "healthy eater" and a "regular work-outer" that you could do this on your own? The age-old "just eat less and work out more" mentality that we always hear about? That's my biggest sticking point right now...I don't know if I should have surgery or just work harder on my own. I feel like surgery is the right option, but I'm really scared of having that option fail for me too! Any thoughts??

So I am really new to this whole procedure as well, and just wanted to put my question out there, too. I hope it's not too off topic - did any of you get that feeling that if you just tried one more time to be a "healthy eater" and a "regular work-outer" that you could do this on your own? The age-old "just eat less and work out more" mentality that we always hear about? That's my biggest sticking point right now...I don't know if I should have surgery or just work harder on my own. I feel like surgery is the right option, but I'm really scared of having that option fail for me too! Any thoughts??

For me it wasn't about getting the weight off, it is about being able to maintain my loss. I was great at losing, unfortunately I was better at gaining every pound I lost and then some.

I battled being fat (over 200 pound at 5'2") for the last 14 years. I finally realized that if I was going to enjoy the rest of 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's, maybe 90's, that I had to quit beating my body up with every diet known to man and failing miserably. I had to do something that would change my entire relationship with food, reduce the portions I could consume, and help me keep the weight off.

I wish I would of been able to do this years ago, and not been fat 19 to 33 years of age. I was a happy person, but now I am joyful, and beyond ecstatic with the life I am truly living.

Hi Phatman Walking!

Welcome to VST!! There are so many wonderful people on here with TONS of information. Please feel free to ask away. Do keep us posted on your journey.

Thanks, Linda. I will be asking you and the others lots of ?'s soon - LOL. I do have a list already. Thanks for the support =)

Welcome Phatmanwalking . . . I was just reading your screen name and said to myself it's amazing how we see ourselves isn't it. . . i'm so happy that you have rec'd your date for WLS, your going to be really happy with it. . . i'm 4 weeks out and at first thought i did the wrong thing, but now am so happy i did this . . . i don't miss food at all anymore, i just go along with what my doctor wants me to do and i'm just fine . . . this is a great forum, we are fun and supportive, we answer all and any questions there are . . . never think a question is stupid, cause the only stupid question is the one not asked. . . we are here for you whenever you need us. . . welcome again and hope to hear from you soon!

Hey Thinoneday! Ya, it is strange about the name thing. Didn't realize how much of a self slam it was til just recent. I have not received the actual date date just yet, but I know it will happen after I get back from my vacation to the USA. Going to CO to visit family in April, so they said they could postpone my surgery til May. Funny thing is, I had just booked the tickets a week prior. They wanted to do the surgery in March. Thanks so much for your support and ear.

Rob

Andreanoelle, Hey there, I know exactly what you are talking about. My biggest problem is control. I am able to lose the weight with the right exercises and diet, problem is, it is way too easy for me to put it back on with a lil extra. I think that is the reason I am ok with the surgery. I have had and still have the same thoughts as you. I am making an effort to lose weight before surgery though. They tell me to go on a certain diet before I do the surgery too. I will keep everyone posted.

Peace and good luck!

Rob

For me it wasn't about getting the weight off, it is about being able to maintain my loss. I was great at losing, unfortunately I was better at gaining every pound I lost and then some.

I battled being fat (over 200 pound at 5'2") for the last 14 years. I finally realized that if I was going to enjoy the rest of 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's, maybe 90's, that I had to quit beating my body up with every diet known to man and failing miserably. I had to do something that would change my entire relationship with food, reduce the portions I could consume, and help me keep the weight off.

I wish I would of been able to do this years ago, and not been fat 19 to 33 years of age. I was a happy person, but now I am joyful, and beyond ecstatic with the life I am truly living.

Tiffykins,

Your words are inspiring. I feel like I am in the same boat with Andreanoelle. Up and down with emotions, this decision has consumed me (no pun intended =)) I hope that I feel the same as you after I go throught the surgery. I feel more confident already since I signed onto this forum.

Thanks,

Rob

hey y'all....i have a totally off topic question. i've tried to get the weight loss 'ticker' but cannot figure out how to get it on my posts permanently. HELP!!! :)

hey y'all....i have a totally off topic question. i've tried to get the weight loss 'ticker' but cannot figure out how to get it on my posts permanently. HELP!!! :)

Here's the Ticker Tutorial:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/vertical-sleeve-talk-forum-assistance-suggestions/267-vst-tickerfactory-ticker-tutorial-pictures.html

The easiest way for me to explain is:

Go to USER CP at the top of the forum

Edit Signature

Open another web tab or window, go to www.tickerfactory.com

choose your ticker, pick a pin, then once the ticker is made, copy the BB Code, come back here, paste it into your signature, then hit "SAVE SIGNATURE".

After you get it in your signature, to update it, all you have to do is click on your ticker in any of your posts, it'll open in a new window, type in your PIN, and update your weight numbers.

It will automatically update it on any forum that you have it listed on.

I have mine on 3 different forums, and by doing it this way, they all update with the same information at the same time.

Here's the Ticker Tutorial:

http://verticalsleevetalk.com/vertical-sleeve-talk-forum-assistance-suggestions/267-vst-tickerfactory-ticker-tutorial-pictures.html

The easiest way for me to explain is:

Go to USER CP at the top of the forum

Edit Signature

Open another web tab or window, go to www.tickerfactory.com

choose your ticker, pick a pin, then once the ticker is made, copy the BB Code, come back here, paste it into your signature, then hit "SAVE SIGNATURE".

After you get it in your signature, to update it, all you have to do is click on your ticker in any of your posts, it'll open in a new window, type in your PIN, and update your weight numbers.

It will automatically update it on any forum that you have it listed on.

I have mine on 3 different forums, and by doing it this way, they all update with the same information at the same time.

it worked!!!!!!! thanks Tiff!!!

Phatman, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your date. I think your feelings are natural and most likely everyone of us have thought the same thing. I live in Colorado so I know April is a great time to visit. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable people on here. You will get answers to most any question you have. Look forward to hearing more on your journey!

Thanks for all of your feedback, guys....it's really helping me make a life-changing decision.

For those of you who have had surgery, would you characterize your life overall as pretty easy to live after surgery? Does it really take up a lot of your time and energy? (Both mental and physical?) Or are you just able to live a normal life, just a healthier version? Any thoughts?