Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can I Ever Eat Bread Again?

Hi All,

After reading my surgeon's guidelines for post-op eating, I am wondering if anyone, several months out, eats high Fiber, low carb bread and tortillas? Are they a total no-no? I do love a slice of toast with my Protein.

TIA,

Pennie

Hi All,

After reading my surgeon's guidelines for post-op eating, I am wondering if anyone, several months out, eats high fiber, low carb bread and tortillas? Are they a total no-no? I do love a slice of toast with my Protein.

TIA,

Pennie

Hi Pennie! I was told no breads, pastas, rice, or potatoes until i'm 5-6 months out. . for now the reason is that those carbs grow in your stomach and will stretch out your sleeve. . . i don't think you want that . . i know i sure don't. . . so i'll just wait, it's not worth the hassle. . .thanks hopes this helps.

I waited until I was ready to slow down my weight loss to incorporate those type of foods. Except, I did try rice and Pasta around 3 months post-op. Rice hurt, Pasta was good and didn't cause any issues. Of course, I only ate a couple of bites to begin, but now I can eat 1/2 cup (4oz) of mac-n-cheese without issue, and the same goes for white/brown rice/flavored rice.

I can eat part of the inside of a very light yeast roll (like the kind they serve at restaraunts/steak houses). I can eat about 3/4 of a fajita size tortilla. I can eat 1/4-1/2 of a low carb/whole grain/high Protein wrap. I can eat a few pita chips with dip. I eat pretzels occasionally with a cheese slice.

It'll just take a while to get to those foods. I had issues with tortillas for awhile. But, now I can tolerate them. I enjoy various brands/types of cracker including saltines, ritz, goldfish crackers on occasion.

I'm not a big fan of sandwiches nor do I like toast. But, I did have 3 small bites of my kiddo's grilled cheese one day last week and didn't have any problems. I can eat 1/2 of a crescent roll with a little bit of brummel and brown butter and homemade blackberry jelly.

Sorry for the ramble, I hope that helps.

Hi Pennie! I was told no breads, pastas, rice, or potatoes until i'm 5-6 months out. . for now the reason is that those carbs grow in your stomach and will stretch out your sleeve. . . i don't think you want that . . i know i sure don't. . . so i'll just wait, it's not worth the hassle. . .thanks hopes this helps.

Kind of worries me that you say it will stretch the sleeve! My dietitian's guidelines say I can have well-cooked rice & Pasta on mushies and on out, and then when I get to soft solids I can have toast & well-cooked potatoes. This worries me. :( I know my dietitian has told me (unlike most) not to worry so much about counting carbs since, as long as I get my Protein in first, there won't be a lot of room for carbs anyway, but if that is the reasoning, that just freaks me out!!!

Kind of worries me that you say it will stretch the sleeve! My dietitian's guidelines say I can have well-cooked rice & Pasta on mushies and on out, and then when I get to soft solids I can have toast & well-cooked potatoes. This worries me. :) I know my dietitian has told me (unlike most) not to worry so much about counting carbs since, as long as I get my Protein in first, there won't be a lot of room for carbs anyway, but if that is the reasoning, that just freaks me out!!!

I ate mashed potatoes on the mushy stage, and seriously, the amount of rice/pasta you can consume early out is so minimal I really don't believe it can stretch the sleeve. My nutritionist cleared all foods once I got to that stage. You just have trial and error everything. Some things work for some people, others can't tolerate pasta/rice. It can expand in the stomach and cause some discomfort (that's what happened when I first tried rice and stovetop stuffing), but now I can rarely get in more than 1/2 cup (4oz) of any starchy food and that is if I eat that all by itself. If I have any meat before, I can only get in a couple of bites of potatoes, rice or Pasta and I'm almost 8 months. Soupy type foods like chili I can get in about cup, but I take breaks in between bites, and eat pretty slowly.

Stretching of the sleeve is minimal. I'm looking for the link on the 5 year patients that did the barium swallow to show that the max was around 8ounces (1 cup). It's going to take me awhile to go back through all the research links. But, as soon as I find it, I'm posting it.

I'm able to eat all of those things with no problem, just in small portions, because yes they do expand a little bit, but as long as you control your portion, there's no problem, at least for me. Just be sure you're eating plenty of Protein with it.

i have had some rice and Pasta in the last few days but i might eat around 1/2 ounce of that. rice goes down better than pasta so i want eat pasta for awhile. i also like the low carb wraps but my sleeve doesn't. it usually hurts. i am a huge mexican fan. i love me some mexican foods. we usually eat them at least 3-4 times a week. i also ate this morning a half of a piece of wheat n' fiber bread. did you get that-it was half of 1 piece of bread with egg salad on it. i was very satisfied. it is getting easier to eat some things so you really have to be carefull. i sabotage my eating just about every day. well i am having trouble with not eating in the evening....

I ate mashed potatoes on the mushy stage, and seriously, the amount of rice/pasta you can consume early out is so minimal I really don't believe it can stretch the sleeve. My nutritionist cleared all foods once I got to that stage. You just have trial and error everything. Some things work for some people, others can't tolerate pasta/rice. It can expand in the stomach and cause some discomfort (that's what happened when I first tried rice and stovetop stuffing), but now I can rarely get in more than 1/2 cup (4oz) of any starchy food and that is if I eat that all by itself. If I have any meat before, I can only get in a couple of bites of potatoes, rice or Pasta and I'm almost 8 months. Soupy type foods like chili I can get in about cup, but I take breaks in between bites, and eat pretty slowly.

Stretching of the sleeve is minimal. I'm looking for the link on the 5 year patients that did the barium swallow to show that the max was around 8ounces (1 cup). It's going to take me awhile to go back through all the research links. But, as soon as I find it, I'm posting it.

Thank you! :lol0: I was starting to get worried! I'm only eating 1/4 c. of food at each meal & usually stick to one food just to make it easier to measure ;). Again, thanks so much for the reassurance! I needed that!

HI Pennie -

I'm 6 weeks out and have been having toast since about 3 weeks post, according to my doctor's and nutritionist's plan. I have a slice of whole wheat toast with avocado or egg salad or tuna salad or hummus. It is very filling and satisfying and causes me no problems whatsoever.

However, they did say to stay away from rice and Pasta for the first 3 months, I think because it fills you up too quickly and doesn't leave room for Protein.< /p>

Just wanted to reassure you that you will still be able to have your toast.

Midwest, don't listen to me. . . my doctor, I've noticed, is very strict when it comes to this healing process and wants me to go very slowly with everything, so i just say what he says. . doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. . . don't worry honey, you do what you do . . . I'm glad we have this forum to help us out in different areas. . . good luck!

Midwest, don't listen to me. . . my doctor, I've noticed, is very strict when it comes to this healing process and wants me to go very slowly with everything, so i just say what he says. . doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't. . . don't worry honey, you do what you do . . . I'm glad we have this forum to help us out in different areas. . . good luck!

See I'm the opposite - my dietitian seems much more lax about dietary stuff so I never know the effects of eating the things I "can" have, ya know? And she doesn't seem to care about carbs which really throws me for a loop. I guess it's better safe than sorry, though. Maybe the reason I'm allowed to have the carbs is that I'm on two shakes a day, totaling 64g Protein before I even eat any food, so I have a little more "room" to eat non-protein stuff. Which I noticed is another difference in my dietitian...she says I need to stay on the two shakes a day routine for several months whereas others have said they start getting most or all protein from food sources after the initial pre-op diet. Could account for the difference I suppose but still irritating since everyone says the carbs are what slows down the losing. :) As always girls, thanks for the info!! :thumbup: