Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Article on people keeping WLS "secret"

I am not ashamed, but I am another that has not told anyone. People knew I was in the hospital and I just knew we would see someone there, so I told everyone that I was having a hernia surgery. Yeah, it was a lie, but I'm not too worried about going to hell. :) I posted my thanks on my Facebook to my father, who flew in and tirelessly took care of my children for my surgery. Well, of course my cousin alerted my grandmother who immediately called my father. My dad ended up telling her the truth, which I understand-she was concerned. She told him she wouldn't tell anyone, but I am not so sure. I hope she doesn't, because in my dad's family-everything is a joke. Everyone makes fun of everyone-to the point where nothing is funny any more. No one can have flaws or secrets-they endlessly will make fun of you until you feel like a big pile of poo. But if she does, so be it. I will not be like them. I will not die obese. I will not do it. The funny thing (or not so funny)? Every.single.one of them is morbidly obese. So yeah, while for now it is my secret-it will not define me.

Oh sister, I totally understand the "whole family is fat, and yet, they make fun of fat people" thing... It's not making fun in a nice way either... My mom, who I love dearly, will say getting surgery is crazy, while she stuffs food in her mouth, and can barely walk from being so severely obese. I have decided that I MAY tell others once I'm on the other side of this, but right now, I do not need that worry and strife.

Thank you for sharing, and here's to all of us doing our own thang! How is your sleeve and weightloss, by the way? Best to you! :)

I chose not to tell anyone except my son who took me to Mexico. I am also a very private person. I have since told my daughter, and a few co-workers. I don't really care what people think about my choice to have the surgery, I just don't particularly want to be the butt of rumors at work. When people ask me how I've lost all the weight, I choose whether I want to say "low carbs, high protein" or "I had WLS," depending on who asks. Neither is a lie. But if I choose to tell, I do make sure they know it's NOT the band!

I'm not ashamed. Its not like I am hiding a secret addiction or bad habit. My fat is out there for all to see. I just don't want to have to justify my actions.

I have decided that I will have to tell my walking buddies tomorrow morning. If I say hernia they will be asking what doctor, what hospital etc. So one lie will make 100 more lies. I think it may just be best to tell the truth and be done with it. Wish me luck. I'm just going to say 45 years of diets has not gotten me long term results. It is foolish to keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I have told very few people, my boyfriend, a close friend who is a nurse and her husband is having gastric bypass, and 2 of the owners where I work so they know whats going on. I also told a close friend who opinion I really valued, she begged my not to have it done said she heard she knows of 2 other people that had it done and they went crazy, lost the weight and left their husband and kids and took off and went wild!! Needless to say after that no one else will know. When the time comes I will be telling everyone I'm having gallbladder surgery. I'm also a very private person.

I wouldn't have to tell anyone if I didn't walk 6 days a week with these women.

No way to explain my absence without inviting a whole raft of questions.

Firefly,

I am looking seriously into the same DR as you. Please be sure to post your experience in detail. I would love to hear about it.

Good Luck on your journey to the losers side