Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery experience! Love my sleeve!!!!

Hi everyone!!

Well I thought I should sit down and spend some time writing about all of my experiences!!

Most of you already know me, as I do post a lot!

Well I started this weight loss journey about a year ago, did a lot of research but found out not nearly enough!! I have 3 other family members who have had the band not long before me so I thought this would work for me too! WRONG!! I followed all of the rules for the band, ate right did my exercise almost every day and still lost my band! I did very well for about 6 months, I had quit losing at this point tho. I starting having trouble keeping anything down, including water! I sometimes could eat, others could not even take a bite.

I started having a little pain in my left side, which progressed to severe pain. I had several tests but no conclusion, I went to a clinic with no bariactric team!! Anyway after quite a few days I called my coordinator and told her my symptoms, she said "oh honey that band needs to come out" I immediately started scheduling my flight back to Mexico. I was there within a week, and had my band out and my sleeve done! What a relief!! I could not even stand up straight because of the pain, the revision relieved all of that!

I have to admit surgery was tough, I have had MANY surgeries and this was the worst. I spent 4 hours in surgery, my body had totally rejected the band, and my stomach was a mess. My surgeon "thanks Dr. Almanza" put me back together and no more pain in my side!

I'm now 2 weeks out I feel great, I can't believe the amount of weight and inches I have lost!! I love my sleeve, just eat and go! No more slimming, Pb'ing, puking ETC!!!!! I still can't believe I have done this!!

My sister is next, she is getting her stinking band out and getting a revision too! To all of you thinking about the sleeve, GO FOR IT!! It is so worth it!

Love, love, love my sleeve:thumbup:

Sounds a lot like my experience only I suffered with pain for FOUR YEARS before I got my revision. I still experience pain since my port is still in. Mine is between my breasts and down and inch or so. They tried for 2 hrs to get it out. :lol0: And I had a LOT of pain there so I know they tried hard. They couldn't tell if it was encased in fat or stuck to my stomach or some adhesions or something but they're gonna look at it again after I lose a lot of weight. I had the lapband since Sept 04 and I've been in TONS of pain since November 05. They believe my body was rejecting and attacking the band and port and the fact they couldn't get the port out.. I'm still in excruciating pain.. it really has ruined my life. I have a masters and can't even work. Can't function without painpills.. :lol0:

The lapband really did ruin my life. I feel like the sleeve is saving my life. 14 weeks out and 68lbs down. Can eat plenty, drink lots, and have NEVER PUKED. I feel like I've been saved. I'm sorry if I offend any lapbanders. Maybe it worked for you, but all it did was ruin my life.

CONGRATS HON!!! Glad you feel better :lol0:

WOW! Congrats to both of you! I am so sorry you had to suffer. I am so glad I was able to come on these boards and research the sleeve to my satisfaction. It has worked so well for me.

Thank you for sharing your stories.

Continue to do well!

Josephine

I'm so surprised that the band is still so widely used. After my experience I did more research and the woes with the band are awful. If I had my choice it would be banned! My pain with the band started 2 months before I actually got it out! I had a small amount and then it just got worse. Why is it that they could not get your port out? Was it that your skin just completely covered it? They had to cut my band out in pieces because my stomach had grown over it so much. You poor thing I feel for you. The port area is where all of my pain started.

For all of the pain that the band caused, it sounds like the sleeve is giving you your life back. I sure hope they can get your port out, that will cut down on your pain.

The sleeve is awesome isn't it?? I just love it, no problems what so ever!!

Good luck to you, and thanks for the reply!

Hi Carolyn

Thanks for your reply. I so wish I would have had the sleeve first and saved myself a lot of pain & money. The band was nothing short of dangerous, I really wish they would get rid of it. I know that sounds harsh but that is how I feel.

Looks like you are doing WONDERFUL!!! The sleeve is so great, love it!

Josephine

I'm so surprised that the band is still so widely used. After my experience I did more research and the woes with the band are awful. If I had my choice it would be banned! My pain with the band started 2 months before I actually got it out! I had a small amount and then it just got worse. Why is it that they could not get your port out? Was it that your skin just completely covered it? They had to cut my band out in pieces because my stomach had grown over it so much. You poor thing I feel for you. The port area is where all of my pain started.

For all of the pain that the band caused, it sounds like the sleeve is giving you your life back. I sure hope they can get your port out, that will cut down on your pain.

The sleeve is awesome isn't it?? I just love it, no problems what so ever!!

Good luck to you, and thanks for the reply!

They are not sure why it wouldn't come out. I'll have to lose weight so they can get a better look at it, and I had the two best surgeons in The Netherlands working on me. I think that the fat is pressing against it and it's laying against a nerve and that's what's causing all the pain. Hopefully as I lose weight it will stop and I won't have to go thru another surgery, but if it's what's causing all the pain, I will go thru it again to get it out. I don't think it's a coincidence that I was healthy as a horse and then got the band and started having so much pain in my body.

I was confused between the two and after meeting with the doctor we decided on the sleeve I am scheduled for feb 1 and super nervous.

Hi Motherof4

So happy you decided to go with the sleeve, it really is so easy to have! I'm still new to it, just over 3 weeks but love it!

So happy for you!! Good luck and happy losing!!

I was confused between the two and after meeting with the doctor we decided on the sleeve I am scheduled for feb 1 and super nervous.