Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spinal after Surgery...???? Huh?

Hi all,

Just read where Barbara278 got sleeved on Monday - yay Barbara!!!!! - I'm right behind you! Anyway, she mentioned that they gave her a spinal?! Really??? This is the first I've heard of a spinal for pain relief with VSG, am I missing something? I'd prefer NOT to have that done and will mention it to Aceves unless you guys can tell me a darn good reason or reasons to do it. Don't want no-one messing with my spine...! Same reason I passed during childbirth. Would much rather take a pill, crushed or whatever. Thoughts PLEEEZE...?! :thumbup:

Carol

Carol,

Yes, the Anesthesiologist will do the epidural on you. I knew they were going to do it for pain management before I ever went to the OR. Yes, I was scared "chetless". However, I was asleep when they did it and only really knew it was done as the next day I was feeling around on my back cause it felt like there was a bandaide or something back there. Believe me, I am SO glad that they did it, I literally had no pain when I woke up. At most, my pain was only 1-2/10 about 3 days after surgery. I think, but I'm not sure, that they inject morphine pain medication through the catheter. You could ask your coordinator.

If you do not want the epidural, you can always refuse it. I myself would HIGHLY recommend it though. This was by far, the least painful surgery I've ever had and I think it was due to the epidural. Just my opinion.

Good luck on you sleeve. You are gonna love it. :thumbup:

I agree that the epidural is awesome. It is mentioned in the research literature that I read before I had the surgery, as the recommended procedure especially for bariatric patients, because then we require less general anesthesia during the surgery. It is actually safer than having full general anesthesia. Recovery is faster and pain management is better.

Also after the surgery it may be left in place to provide you with medication for pain. Mine was left in as I recovered, and removed before I left Mexicali. It was great...so easy for the doctor to come and just shoot some more in. I highly recommend it.

I did not have epidural. I had minimal pain. What pain meds I got were thru the IV into my hand. I was fine. This is the frist I have heard of epidural for barriatric surgery. It does make sense. Talk it over with your Dr.

I knew I could count on razor sharp insight from this group, thanks all. I have a lot to think about before Monday it seems. I like how the epidural can simplify things but I sure would hate to walk - er, roll - out of there paralyzed. I'm being silly, I know, this epidural part really came as a surprise, however. Thanks again, all. Love you guys!

Carol

hi,

I was concerned as well when i found out that dr. Aceves used one, but I felt confident in his reasons why and was fine with the outcome. If you read posts from patients from other docs they often had morphine pumps and/or more pain after surgery. Dr. Aceves and his crew run an amazing "well oiled ship". Wait until you see the speed and organization with which the process is run!

Best of luck!

Kris

Wow, Carol...I'm just a few weeks behind you...not sure i'm liking the epidural idea either...

Stef

Serious complications from an epidural are pretty rare. You can see the rates here. 1 in 6,700 for neural injury or .015%

Epidural - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some more odds so you can get an idea of what the chances are

Odds of bowling a 300 game: 11,500 to 1

Odds of getting a hole in one: 5,000 to 1

Odds of getting canonized: 20,000,000 to 1

Odds of being an astronaut: 13,200,000 to 1

Odds of winning an Olympic medal: 662,000 to 1

Odds of an American speaking Cherokee: 15000 to 1

Odds that a person between the age of 18 and 29 does NOT read a newspaper regularly: 3 to 1

Odds that an American adult does not want to live to age 120 under any circumstances: 3 to 2

Odds of injury from fireworks: 19,556 to 1

Odds of injury from shaving: 6,585 to 1

Odds of injury from using a chain saw: 4,464 to 1

Odds of injury from mowing the lawn: 3,623 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Odds of getting away with murder: 2 to 1 :scared0:

Odds of being the victim of serious crime in your lifetime: 20 to 1

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1 :laugh0:

Odds of being considered possessed by Satan: 7,000 to 1

Odds that a first marriage will survive without separation or divorce for 15 years: 1.3 to 1

Odds that a celebrity marriage will last a lifetime: 3 to 1 :scared0:

Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1

Odds of being born a twin in North America: 90 to 1

Odds of being on plane with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1

Odds of winning a straight up on a single number in online roulette: 37 to 1

Odds of being audited by the IRS: 175 to 1

Odds of having your identity stolen: 200 to 1

Odds of dating a millionaire: 215 to 1

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1

Odds of writing a New York Times best seller: 220 to 1

Odds of finding out your child is a genius: 250 to 1

Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1

Odds of becoming a pro athlete: 22,000 to 1

Odds of finding a four-leaf clover on first try: 10,000 to 1

Odds of a person in the military winning the Medal of Honor: 11,000 to 1

Odds of winning an Academy Award: 11,500 to 1

Odds of striking it rich on Antiques Roadshow: 60,000 to 1

Odds of getting a royal flush in poker on first five cards dealt: 649,740 to 1

Odds of spotting a UFO today: 3,000,000 to 1

Odds of becoming president: 10,000,000 to 1

Odds of winning the California lottery: 13,000,000 to 1

Odds of becoming a saint: 20,000,000 to 1

Odds of a meteor landing on your house: 182,138,880,000,000 to 1

Chance of an American home having at least one container of ice cream in the freezer: 9 in 10.

Chance that Earth will experience a catastrophic collision with an asteroid in the next 100 years: 1 in 5,000

Chance of winning a bingo game where 100 players manage four cards each: 1 in 100

Edited by Joe

O.K. Carole, I spoke to 2 of the Anesthesiologists that worked at our facility today. They both said the possibility of problems with epidurals are pretty rare. Keep in mind that Anesthesiologists are trained to do epidurals as it is part of their job. As stated in my previous post, I didn't even realize that it was done (even though I knew it was gonna be done) until I found the dressing the next day. I'm pretty sure the Anesthesiologist that Dr. Aceves uses has had plenty of practice doing them since most people having the surgery get the epidural. Now, if it were just any "family practice" type physician, or even the surgeon, I would be afraid to have it done as it isn't something that they do alot. Both Anesthesiologists that I spoke to today said they would have the epidural if they were given the chance and they were having surgery.

I just want to point out that the less pain you have, the less nausea and vomiting you will have. It is pretty common for people who are in severe pain to have nausea and vomiting. I sure wouldn't want that after having abdominal surgery.

Anyway, just wanted to let ya know that I did talk to the guys and what they had to say. Sorry about the poor grammer, spelling errors, etc I just got off a 14 hr day and am not thinking clearly!!!!

Millie, thanks for the legwork... I'm still sitting the fence but, I am hoping that as Kris mentions, once I see how things work there, I'll be ok with it. But I doubt it. And Joe, thanks for the stats, good food for thought there. ARGH, so completely indecisive on this one... Also, if you have a port (?) in your back and stitches on the front, how the heck are you supposed to get comfortable...??

I'm in the hotel in Miami as we speak, flying at the buttcrack of dawn tomorrow to start tests in Mexicali tomorrow. Surgery Monday. I'm hoping I get in early so I have the most possible time to recover. :blushing:

Thanks you guys, hopefully I'll touch base before I become a loser!

Carol

Millie, thanks for the legwork... I'm still sitting the fence but, I am hoping that as Kris mentions, once I see how things work there, I'll be ok with it. But I doubt it. And Joe, thanks for the stats, good food for thought there. ARGH, so completely indecisive on this one... Also, if you have a port (?) in your back and stitches on the front, how the heck are you supposed to get comfortable...??

I'm in the hotel in Miami as we speak, flying at the buttcrack of dawn tomorrow to start tests in Mexicali tomorrow. Surgery Monday. I'm hoping I get in early so I have the most possible time to recover. :ohmy:

Thanks you guys, hopefully I'll touch base before I become a loser!

Carol

The epidural line in the lower back is a tiny pliable plastic catheter about the size of a pencil lead...you don't even feel it is there. I slept on my back the whole time and slept fine.

I had mine taken out after surgery. I am glad I had it. I had no pain what so ever from surgery.

Talk to the anesthesiologist. He's great, just like everyone else there. He will answer all your questions.

Mine must have been taken out in recovery...never saw or felt it again! Just covered with bright pink dye!

Best of luck! look forward to knowing what you decided!

Kris

If anyone is curious, I did go ahead with the epidural and it was a breeze. Until I found out I don't play well with Morphine! So, I guess it was a waste of time, maybe it made my surgical anesthesia a little but it kicked my butt after I woke up with lots of dry heaves. Ouch! They had to give me something to counteract the morphine and then picked some other pain killer. I had no particular "epiphany" that convinced me to do it, I just figured what the heck, millions have gone before me, right?

I don't play well with Morphine either. It makes me itch. Can they give you something else in the epidural? I am going to Dr. Aceves as well. (11 days and counting!!)