Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wasting Food!

Hey ya'll ~ :001_smile:

I had the vertical sleeve in 2008. I have lost 60lbs, but gained 10 of them back. I know that my eating habits have gone down hill for the most part even though I tend to eat right more than i use to, but I find myself thinking the same thing when I eat. The thing that I am thinking is "I better eat this or I know it's going in the trash". I hate to throw away feed even more now since I am an adult and know better. With all the hours I put in to buy grocery,plus, more importantly, all the people around the world starving.

I guess my question is are you finding yourself wanting to eat it all rather than put it in the trash?

i try to salvage all that I can warm up later, but some things you know you are not going to like once it is reheated.

All help is appreciated!

Yes, my appetite is ridiculous sometimes, but it's mostly when I am terribly bored. I try to keep myself consumed in art, but t.v. without a snack is crazy...lol! I've been eating a lot of fruit and veggies to get these 10lbs off me!

I can't wait to hear from you all!

Thanks

-Gabie

I'm only 7 months out, and bring home leftovers all the time. Luckily, I have a husband and son that enjoy my lunch leftovers or I eat them for a couple of days.

I went out with my girlfriends for Thai food today, and brought home a huge amount of Beef Pad Thai. Luckily, it reheats well with a little Water added. The one thing I do when ordering out is always order with the "reheat" possibility in mind. Nachos suck reheated, and so do most dense meat, but I stick to the basics when ordering out. I plan and cook our family meals and have been able to cut back on all of our portions. My husband takes leftovers so he can have a hot lunch while on duty without having to eat fast food.

I don't think I've ever finished a meal unless I was at home, and can control my portion size myself.

Good luck with getting rid of those 10 pounds. You can do it, get back to basics, and try to stay focused. I'm considering taking up crocheting again to keep my hands busy.

Hey, i congratulate you for having lost the 60 lbs. . . good for you! But why did you get the sleeve? was it to loose weight or because it may have been a quick fix for you? We all wish for a miracle when it comes to weight loss, but as with anything you want, you have to work at it. . .if you want to loose that gained 10 lbs, i'm sure you know what to do. . . as for the leftovers, put them up and eat them later. . as adults we know how to salvage leftovers, but in the fridge not in the stomach! good luck

@Tiffykins Thanks for the reply. I think that I am just going to do like you advised and get back to the basics. fruit, Veggies, and that dreadful Taebo...lol! I make homemade journals to keep my busy busy with creative stuff, so i guess I have to submerge myself a little more to have no idle time on my hands to think about food. Dang commercials don't help though..lol. Thanks again doll!

@thinoneday I got the surgery b/c I was 23, 231lbs, BMI 37, and 5'4. Sounds like a short life to me. My job was extremely stressful (office) and I was getting bigger. I don't believe in a quick fix for anything. Anything that's worth having is worth working for, weightloss included. I know exactly what needs to be done to lose the weight, my concern was wasting food and to see if anyone had to same issue I was having. Thanks for the congrats on the weightloss! Same to you! It's getting better and better every single day. I'm trying hard not to make a U-Turn. Thanks for your reply! :)

I absolutely 100% dont want you to take this the wrong way at all, but it is stories like yours that scare the crap out of me. I am 23, I will be 24 when I go in for surgery. I weight 265 and I am 5'3. If I only lost 60 pounds or honestly, even If I got down to 170, I would be so upset/pissed off/ terrified. BUT at the same time maybe that was your goal and we are all different, thats why I hope you dont take offense. I do understand about not throwing away food now though, I eat everything that doenst eat me first, and I finish everything unless I KNOW I will reheat and eat (like chili).

I guess I am just wondering if there is anyone else out there that has only lost minimal weight? And what yours and their eating habits are like after surgery if that isnt being too prying (sp). And I say "minimal weight" not to downsize your accomplishment by no means, 60 pounds is NOTHING to shake a stick at. I just know if I only lose 60 pounds I wont even be in the 100s, and for me that means the surgery would be useless.

Any info welcomed,

-Tiffany

Hey ya'll ~ :biggrin0:

I had the vertical sleeve in 2008. I have lost 60lbs, but gained 10 of them back. I know that my eating habits have gone down hill for the most part even though I tend to eat right more than i use to, but I find myself thinking the same thing when I eat. The thing that I am thinking is "I better eat this or I know it's going in the trash". I hate to throw away feed even more now since I am an adult and know better. With all the hours I put in to buy grocery,plus, more importantly, all the people around the world starving.

I guess my question is are you finding yourself wanting to eat it all rather than put it in the trash?

i try to salvage all that I can warm up later, but some things you know you are not going to like once it is reheated.

All help is appreciated!

Yes, my appetite is ridiculous sometimes, but it's mostly when I am terribly bored. I try to keep myself consumed in art, but t.v. without a snack is crazy...lol! I've been eating a lot of fruit and veggies to get these 10lbs off me!

Thanks

-Gabie

I bought a bunch of those nice 3-4 ounce ziploc cup containers and I freeze small portions of stuff instead of leaving it in the fridge to spoil...I am a miser. I, like you, hate to throw things away. But it is so great to have a lot of variety in the freezer to choose from to take to work with me, or eat at home. Sometimes it is hard to choose which morsel (that's about all that I can eat) I will pick to eat.

@TiffanyIsMajor ~ Please do not let me discourage you. I have developed some of my old habits back and it slowed down my weight loss. I can still lose weight easily and I am still easily satisfied. As a matter of fact when I started back exercising I lost 3lbs the first week. You are the decider of your own fate when it comes to losing this weight. Like I said, I went back to some of my bad habits that I'm trying to break again! You WILL BE FINE TRUST ME! Just when you don't want bread or sugar, don't make yourself eat it. It's been almost 2 yrs for me, so when it gets easier to eat, you have to control yourself more. I am still going to lose weight, but do to poor eating choices I have slowed the process down. Just stick to your guns! I'm so sorry to scare you and NO I am not offended. I have lost and gained more than weight throughout this entire ordeal. I've changed completely as a person and as that happened, the weight didn't matter to me as much. It took me almost a yr to eat a hamburger again after surgery, something I should have left alone completely, but poor choices!

@cajun I think that's what I am going to start doing. Cooking all my food on the weekends and then freeze it. I use ziplock bags alot. I think it has alot to do with my will also. LOL! Thanks for the help love!

thank you for the reminder that the sleeve is just a tool, and, if we do not use the tool it cannot work. Think tooth brush, sitting in the holder it will not clean your teeth!

Just go back to basics, water~protein~exercize and you will get back on track.

Good idea to use thoes small zip locks. We all need reminders, and, you can always have two if you are really hungry one day.

Plan your meals, for left overs and while eating out. But, every once in a while, splurge and have something that does not keep, so just have what you want like a treat and then let it go. Again, use this tool to help you achieve your ultimate goals.

ya gotta set some! lol

good luck and thanks for posting.

@carolyn24seven Thanks so much for your positivity! I got a little too comfortable...lol! It did take me almost 2yrs to gain 10lbs, but still...who wants to make a u-turn! I am starting to make meal plans b/c I want to get back on track. I got back into ordering kid portion sized foods as well. This is the reason I decided to be more active on the board also. I need to interact with people who are going through or have gone through what i am going through. I've lost 3lbs and I'm intending on losing more. I'll keep everyone posted! Thanks again!

I feel for you - I hate throwing food away. Luckily I have three greedy dogs so almost anything except stuff with onions in it, they can have. But I would rather lose weight than be economical... It has just taken me a long time to learn how little food to buy. At first I had to throw out tons of stuff. I've sort of calculated that the sleeve will have paid itself back financially in around 7-8 years because I'll be eating less. Not bad...

I feel for you - I hate throwing food away. Luckily I have three greedy dogs so almost anything except stuff with onions in it, they can have. But I would rather lose weight than be economical... It has just taken me a long time to learn how little food to buy. At first I had to throw out tons of stuff. I've sort of calculated that the sleeve will have paid itself back financially in around 7-8 years because I'll be eating less. Not bad...

Definitely, I guess I'll just have to do better planning...or get dogs...lol! Thanks for the reply! I think I'd much rather lose weight also! LOL! :thumbup:

I hate to waste food too, but I like to think of it like it's just as wasteful on my hips as it is in the trash.

And the idea to freeze leftovers in 3 oz containers and label them is a great one. I do that often after I serve the plates. I just freeze the rest and can warm them up the next week or two. :)

Hey ya'll ~ :confused1:

All help is appreciated!

Thanks

-Gabie

I think we've all felt this way. At a restaurant I will have the waitress box it up or if it isn't enough to take home, I've even poured a lot of salt on it, and pushed it away. At home, I have told myself over and over again, it is NOT wasting....whether I put what is left on my plate in the garbage disposal or whether I 'digest' it first....it is going to end up in the same place. :blushing: Beleive it or not, it helps to think of it like that and know it's the truth! I hope that when I AM sleeved this summer, I will keep this attitude!! Good luck!

@TiffanyIsMajor ~ Please do not let me discourage you. I have developed some of my old habits back and it slowed down my weight loss. I can still lose weight easily and I am still easily satisfied. As a matter of fact when I started back exercising I lost 3lbs the first week. You are the decider of your own fate when it comes to losing this weight. Like I said, I went back to some of my bad habits that I'm trying to break again! You WILL BE FINE TRUST ME! Just when you don't want bread or sugar, don't make yourself eat it. It's been almost 2 yrs for me, so when it gets easier to eat, you have to control yourself more. I am still going to lose weight, but do to poor eating choices I have slowed the process down. Just stick to your guns! I'm so sorry to scare you and NO I am not offended. I have lost and gained more than weight throughout this entire ordeal. I've changed completely as a person and as that happened, the weight didn't matter to me as much. It took me almost a yr to eat a hamburger again after surgery, something I should have left alone completely, but poor choices!

@cajun I think that's what I am going to start doing. Cooking all my food on the weekends and then freeze it. I use ziplock bags alot. I think it has alot to do with my will also. LOL! Thanks for the help love!

"give me art and no one gets hurt"...???are you an artist?

I oil paint some...love it!!!!!

We bought a bunch of tupperware just for making "meal kits". We make something and freeze it in portions that make a nice single meal.

We used to buy Smart ones, that isn't necessary now with all of our leftovers.

Just a tip...buy small tupperware that is clear so you can see what you are getting....unless you like lunch to be a surprise?