Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made it to Mexicali, surgery in the morning

Thanks Cajun. I did get a response back from the doc's office and the whey cannot be added as it's to dense for our stomach at this point. I'll just do the best I can until I get to the next stage which will be much easier.

Thanks again.

So Dr. Aceves does not allow even the clear Proteins like Profect?

I'm not familiar with that one, but I do know they allow the Isopure for the first 10 days. You could always email to ask just to make sure.

Yes..they did tell me Unjury is ok. The unflavored and the chicken broth. I have both of those. I've been adding a bit of the unflavored to my broths and drinks. Let me know if the Profect is ok. I'll try to get some of that if it is.

I did check out that link, but my paperwork that was given to me the day before surgery is a little different.

Here is what my paperwork says for phase one (which is the first 10 days)

1. For the first 10 days following surgery, nothing other than Clear liquids and a Protein supplement should be consumed. ABSOLUTELY no solid food!!!! Clear Liquids consist of Jell-O, surgar-free Crystal light, Water, and broth. A high quality Protein supplement such as Isopure or whey protein should be used in order to obtain approximately 70 grams of protein per day.

2. No sugar, caffeine, or carbonated beverages should be consumed during phase 1 of the diet. These will cause unpleasant side effects and may also cause complications.

3. A total of 1 1/2 - 2 quarts of liquid should be consumed to prevent dehydration. NEVER have more than 60cc or 2oz. in a 15 minute period. Always sip - never gulp or drink quickly.

4. Keep track of your daily intake to make sure be certain you get enough liquids and protein. If it is hot or humid outside and you are perspiring, you will need to increase the amount by 10 - 20%.

5 If your urine is dark or you mouth is dry, you are not drinking enough liquid. Use these as guides to determine if you are drinking enough.

They gave us paper work for each phase. Hope that helps some.

Thanks! I'll let you know when I hear about the Profect. Its pretty easy to find in different brands. It will be by the body building stuff in the pharmacy section. At least that is where i have found it.

I like the unflavored unjury and have just ordered more. I'm supplementing with it now. I have the chicken Soup but haven't tried that yet.

I did buy some Gold Standard 100% whey that Tiffy sugguested from a body building site, but Dr. Aceves said I can't have it yet. I have to wait till a later phase.

You can get the Isopure at CVS, and to make it taste better, try refrigerating it. This somehow has cut down on the weird taste for me (been trying these out). In fact, the only thing about the Grape Isopure that bugs me at this point is the aftertaste, but it's very tolerable. If you have a Walmart near by, you might want to try this stuff... it's a bit sweet, so what I'm trying with this is that I dump out about 2-3 oz of my Water bottle, add this... it cuts the taste, and you're getting in the protein:

Walmart.com: Body Fortress 26 G Protein fruit Punch Flavored Drink Super Whey Protein Shot Ultimate Recovery Fuel 2.9 fl oz, 2pk: Diet & Nutrition

Hope this helps. I'm so excited to hear your made it through 100% and are back home in your own bed! :thumbup1: :thumbup:

You can get the Isopure at CVS, and to make it taste better, try refrigerating it. This somehow has cut down on the weird taste for me (been trying these out). In fact, the only thing about the Grape Isopure that bugs me at this point is the aftertaste, but it's very tolerable. If you have a Walmart near by, you might want to try this stuff... it's a bit sweet, so what I'm trying with this is that I dump out about 2-3 oz of my Water bottle, add this... it cuts the taste, and you're getting in the protein:

Walmart.com: Body Fortress 26 G Protein fruit Punch Flavored Drink Super Whey Protein Shot Ultimate Recovery Fuel 2.9 fl oz, 2pk: Diet & Nutrition

Hope this helps. I'm so excited to hear your made it through 100% and are back home in your own bed! :thumbup: :smile:

Youknowit,

Thanks so much. Brenda mentioned these to me and I sent hubby to WalMart yesterday and they don't have it. I'm guessing some stores carry it and others don't. I'm going to try to go to another WalMart today to see if I can find them.:thumbup1:

I have a question about the "spinal". I thought they only did that when you were having kids. Can you ask not to get, it I really don't like the idea of someone messing with my spine.

Did you have stitches that had to be removed or do they disolve?

Did they have you do a flourscope(spelling) and what did you drink while they were doing it was it barium? and how many times did they do that?

Did you have to be catherized?

Thank you so much I am seriously considering this doctor if my insurance company does not come through for me. I will not settle for anything lass than a VSG.

Barbara my Wal-Mart didn't have them either. Other people in my area have found them at other Wal-Marts. Try drug stores too. CVS carries Profect. I bet Walgreen's carries another brand but I haven't looked. Fry's grocery has them so another grocery might as well.

Thanks I'll look for the Isopure at CVS. I haven't tried that yet.

Hi Barbara

I have the Unjury strawberry Sorbet, it mixes clear, little sweet, I mixed it with some SOBE lifewater. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm doing good, after getting over been frozen all day yesterday, mom said it was from lack of Protein. I warmed up after I got 46 grams in last night. It was so good to sleep in my own bed last night.

Do you remember how long we need to keep the tape on the insisions?

Hi Maxcat

The spinal is not something they do routinely, I think it is only if you have complications and have to be under longer, but I'm not 100% sure on that. I'm sure someone will be able to answer that question.

Yes I had stitches that had to be removed. I took them out myself. I thought of it as an adventure, it did not hurt to remove them either.

I had to drink some awful tasting stuff and then they watch it go down to make sure you have no leaks. If you have a drain, you will be asked to drink and then they watch your drain to make sure none of comes out. Just standard practice to make sure you have no leaks.

I don't know anyone who had to have a catheter, I don't think that would be an issue with this surgery.

Glad to hear you have decided on the VSG, it is an amazing tool. I have been sleeved for three weeks, and could not be happier!!!

Good luck and happy losing!

I have a question about the "spinal". I thought they only did that when you were having kids. Can you ask not to get, it I really don't like the idea of someone messing with my spine.

Did you have stitches that had to be removed or do they disolve?

Did they have you do a flourscope(spelling) and what did you drink while they were doing it was it barium? and how many times did they do that?

Did you have to be catherized?

Thank you so much I am seriously considering this doctor if my insurance company does not come through for me. I will not settle for anything lass than a VSG.

The anesthesiologist explained why they do this. You are basically put under and don't even notice them doing it. The reason they do it is because the spinal takes effect (morphine) about two hours after the surgery. The IV Morphine works just while going through the surgery. I was very fearful of it but once he explained it, it made sense. They don't get anywhere near your spinal cord. They inject it in your tail bone where there is no spinal cord between those membranes. I'm sure if you requested not to have it they would not give it to you. But honestly, it wasn't bad at all, I don't even remember it.

There are stitches on all but one incision. They disolve in about 7 to 10 days. There is one larger incision that is left open and it heals from the inside out. That one takes about 15 days to heal. You may have some ozzing from that one and that is the only one you change the dressing on after showering.

Dr. Aceves did two leak tests. The first is the day after surgery. You swallow 4 small medicine cups of apple juice that is died blue. Then you are xrayed to see if there is any leaking, and then the next day you do another test with some type of nasty tasting liquid and they follow it going down by xray as well. It wasn't bad at all.

I never needed to be catherized. I went with no problem at all.

Hope this information helped.

Oh and the stitches they put in do disolve on their own. You will not need to remove them.

Edited by Barbara278