Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Last Supper... And Emotions...

Hey All,

Set for surgery on the 25th and had my last gluttony session tonight before I start my pre-op tomorrow. We went to Outback had the dark bread they give you, fried mushrooms with dipping sauces, two margaritas, Alice Springs/Ribs combo with french fries and a side of broccoli. Then, we had a huge piece of hummingbird cake for dessert. Good God. And, the worst part is, besides the dessert, that's about what we usually eat... :smile: On one had, I'll be so glad that I just plain CAN'T eat like that anymore but, dammit, I really enjoy everything about food; buying it, cooking it, serving it or having it served, eating tons of it and then looking forward to the left overs the next day. Will my entire mind set really change? I sure hope so but it's awfully hard to fathom at this stage in the game. I hope I'm not going to go nuts not being able to eat. Has this happened to any of you? How do you know you are ready to kick the eating habit besides the obvious benefit of losing weight and becoming healthy?

That is one fear, the other is; I am scared to death about messing with my otherwise excellent health. That is an oxymoron, I know, as it's only a matter of time before the weight starts to kill me. I'm 42 and have been all over the scale all my life. I've lost hundreds of pounds over the years. And re-gained them all. I'm doing this in Mexico and have truly stuck my head in the sand about complications. I have decided that I am just not allowed to have complications. But what if I do? Where do I go? Who do I see for not so complicated complications...?

My apologies for the rambling but it feels good to share. I know I'm going to be truly sh**ting myself here in a few days... You post-sleevers are so stong, how did you not turn and run the day-of?

Carol

Hi Keys Pirate-

Welcome to VSY and the boards!!

I COMPLETLEY understand about the love of food!! We all base our lives around it!!

I just have to tell you- without trying to "sugar coat it"............ you will have days that you HATE it........... not being able to eat what you want. that damn head hunger is a buggar........... even tho you are not "physically" hungry...... your mind will still crave certain things.

Mine was bad the first 3 months.......... but it does subside..... and you make up your mind what you want to do.

The hunger is gone for me...... I am 10 months out...... no hunger at all. and I hope it continues!!!

The head hunger is gone too....... I might "crave" something....... so I eat it.... just not in the quanities I use to.

You will go thru alot of emotions............ Post them!! Let us reassure you that you are not alone!!

Once you see the weight melting off.......... you will be so happy with your decision!!

Good luck to you!!

Hey All,

Set for surgery on the 25th and had my last gluttony session tonight before I start my pre-op tomorrow.

:smile: Could have been me that wrote that!! I'm on the 25th too and today was my final "blowout" day before cracking down tomorrow. I've had 3/4 of a takeout trough of chicken nachos supreme from Sagebrush Cantina, a 3 Musketeers bar, and a slice of pizza. There's a Hershey's dark chocolate bar in there too, but I don't think I'm gonna get to that--- I feel like crap. That's one thing I'm TOTALLY looking forward to getting rid of... that "Oh crap, I can't go to bed right now, I'm sooooooo full" feeling.

I worry about the head hunger too, whether there will be temptation to just taste something new because of being bored with the liquid stuff... we'll just have to deal with that if and when it happens, I guess! Good luck with your surgery. There are several of us here going in on the 25th, we'll all have to compare notes. :)

[edit] BTW... do you live in the Keys?

I agree with a lot of what Chancie shared.

My mindset with food has completely changed. It's more a "eat to live instead of live to eat" mentality.

For me, I've only had one occasion of "buyer's remorse". It was on Thanksgiving, and I was so mad because that was the one day a year, I was "allowed" to binge, gorge myself with yummy food. All of my in-laws chowed down for at least an hour, and I ate my portions then went outside, and walked around, kicking rocks and kicking myself in the a$$ for having surgery. But, then a couple hours later when everyone else was miserable, I was bubbly, chipper, and feeling good. Then, I went and ate a little bit more.

It's an emotional ride for sure. I had issues with food not being appealing and just eating because I knew I had to. But, it subsides, you learn to listen to your body, and your new stomach RULES THE ROOST. You don't question it, you don't curse it, you just do what it says. That's how I was early on. Now, I live a normal little life, and don't really think about food. I plan meals for my family. I buy little foods for me for lunch and a few Snacks here and there. But, life becomes so much easier once you are a couple months out.

That post-op diet is a trying time, and learning your stomach's new attitude is really the most difficult part of the entire journey.

I agree with Chancie, your relationship with food will change forever and there is no going back. I am 6 weeks post op and still learning how to keep up my liquids, Protein and Vitamins and then when confronted with my favorite foods not to mourn that I can only have a few bites. You must get your head around this and don't let this sabotage your desires for good health and a new start to the rest of your life. Only you know if that is what you want. "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results", won't give you good health. You will have to do something different.

Dr. Aceves has many fans on this site and we all had wonderful experiences there. Very clean hospital, excellent care and the best surgeon. I felt very well cared for.

Good luck on you surgery!

Yup, I'm on the emotional rollercoaster ride right now . . . I really regretted the sleeve because i could only choke down 2 - 4 oz of 1 food, and it was really boring. . . i had a real pity party with myself and even voiced my unhappiness right here on this forum under the confessions section . . . but alas today is a better day and back to normal. . . we must all face our demons eventually and once we do we must take it back and win . . we are here for you whenever you need us and together we can do this . . . we didn't get fat overnight, and we sure as heck won't get thinner overnight either, it's a process and we have to work at it in order for it to work . . . good luck and chat soon again.

You guys are AWESOME! You all made me laugh and cry at your responses. You also gave me great foresight as to dealing with head hunger vs. real hunger. I know it's been a topic but you all really got me thinking about it - the good and the bad - knowing full well that I'm up for a battle but that it will get better. Patience has never been one of my strong points so I guess this will be good practice for me in more ways than one...!

I'm still concerned about potential complications. Any of you have anything happen that required a doctor's visit after surgery in Mexico? Tiff, I know you had a rough time at the beginning but were operated on in the U.S. to begin with. I'm sure you were glad you went that route at the time! How do you get care here if it becomes necessary - just head to the ER and let them figure it out? I pray that it doesn't come to that but I promised my husband and a very good doctor friend that I would try and find out more. I also have a local family practitioner that I should talk to but I'm scared he's going to make me feel bad. I would rather tell him afterwards but that's probably not smart...

I did choose Aceves because of his sterling reputation and the fact that he works from a hospital. I think he's worth the extra couple of grand. No matter how hard I look, I can't find ANY dirt on him anywhere!

Is anyone getting therapy or just dealing on your own? Maybe you had therapy for awhile at the beginning? Love to hear your thoughts there too.

Anyway, you guys are the best; Tiff I was so proud of you getting the last laugh on Thanksgiving! These are the scenarios that worry me, however. That said, having been on a million diets in the past, it shouldn't be a big deal. Bonus; Tday is a long way from next Monday!!

Stacy - yes, I do live in the Keys. Love it down here. Where are you having your surgery on the 25th??

Chancie, what a story and what incredible weight loss! Thanks for being there for me. All of you!

thinoneday - thank you - demons indeed...

Have a great week everyone and thanks again.

Carol

Stacy - yes, I do live in the Keys. Love it down here. Where are you having your surgery on the 25th??

Mine will be in Pontiac, MI, only about 45-50 minutes away from home. We got married in the Keys almost 4 years ago (April 10th)... it's beautiful down there! :)

Hey Carol, I had both of my surgeries here in Florida. My band with a civilian surgeon (complete nightmare) and my revision was performed by a military surgeon (lifesaver).

If my insurance would not of covered my revision, I would of gone to Dr. Aceves for the very reasons you listed.

I'm sure you would head to an ER or urgent care facility if you did have complications. I have heard of a lot of patients that travel abroad discuss it with their PCP/PCM to ensure that they are on-board to help with any aftercare you may need. Prescriptions for nausea or reflux if you have that issue would be a big one for me if I had to travel abroad.

What I'm curious about is this. If you are a self pay patient (like I am going to be) - what if something happens and you have to go to the ER....will insurance cover problems that might occur from WLS? Does anyone know the answer to that?

What I'm curious about is this. If you are a self pay patient (like I am going to be) - what if something happens and you have to go to the ER....will insurance cover problems that might occur from WLS? Does anyone know the answer to that?

I'm an insurance agent so I can only from my experience.

When there is an exclusion in a policy such as bariatric surgery, any complications/problems associated with that said excluded service/surgery will be excluded as well.

I know some people have had part of their hospital bills covered after a complication, but it all truly depends on how your own personal policy spells out exclusions, and how the hospital codes the bill to the insurance company.

I'm an insurance agent so I can only from my experience.

When there is an exclusion in a policy such as bariatric surgery, any complications/problems associated with that said excluded service/surgery will be excluded as well.

I know some people have had part of their hospital bills covered after a complication, but it all truly depends on how your own personal policy spells out exclusions, and how the hospital codes the bill to the insurance company.

Hi Tiff - bariatric surgery is NOT excluded from our policy, but I do not qualify. My BMI is 36.5 and I have no health issues. I'm not to worried, I'm healthy and I trust my doctor, but you NEVER know, right??!! I am traveling out of state though, so when I'm back home, if something happens, I would have to go to the ER, I wouldn't even have MY doctor near-by. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea!

Hi Tiff - bariatric surgery is NOT excluded from our policy, but I do not qualify. My BMI is 36.5 and I have no health issues. I'm not to worried, I'm healthy and I trust my doctor, but you NEVER know, right??!! I am traveling out of state though, so when I'm back home, if something happens, I would have to go to the ER, I wouldn't even have MY doctor near-by. I was just wondering if anybody had any idea!

Since it's not excluded, you should be good for coverage if a complications should arise.

Your follow-up care labs, and so forth can all be ordered by your PCP/PCM and then forwarded to your surgeon if that is not part of your package with your choice in surgeon.

I hope that helps.

Since it's not excluded, you should be good for coverage if a complications should arise.

Your follow-up care labs, and so forth can all be ordered by your PCP/PCM and then forwarded to your surgeon if that is not part of your package with your choice in surgeon.

I hope that helps.

I was told that he would be in touch with her and blood work etc. could be ordered by her and they could/would work together. I met with my PCP initially and let her know what I was going to do, so she is aware of what is going on and knows she will be involved with aftercare. Maybe you can answer this, my doctor's office, the guy I've spoken with said that they will want to see my B12 level off the charts afterwards, why is that? We don't have malabsortion (sp?) issues like bypass patients.

I was told that he would be in touch with her and blood work etc. could be ordered by her and they could/would work together. I met with my PCP initially and let her know what I was going to do, so she is aware of what is going on and knows she will be involved with aftercare. Maybe you can answer this, my doctor's office, the guy I've spoken with said that they will want to see my B12 level off the charts afterwards, why is that? We don't have malabsortion (sp?) issues like bypass patients.

From my understanding, PPI's such as Nexium, Prilosec, or Protonix can interfere with the absorption of B12. I take 1 sublingual B12 2500mcg daily. I'm also on 20mg Prilosec once daily.

My multi-Vitamin also supplies 250% of the daily value recommended of B12. I've never had any issues with my B12 being too high or too low.