Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boughie size comparison

He used a 36 on me (revision from band to sleeve). Not sure what he has used on anyone else. I had alot of problems with my stomach swelling my band shut even when it was unfilled, so not sure if that is what he used to determine the size for me. All I know is I just got to try mushies for the first time and had a real hard time getting 2 level tablespoons of food down.

thinoneday,

I was sleeved same day as you. Sounds like we have had similar experiences. This has almost gone all to easy (knock on wood). My wounds healed up quickly and I've slept in my bed from day 1 of being home. I've had no nausea or any problems really. I'm drinking pretty good. I only seem to tolerate getting in about two Protein shakes a day which is not quite enough Protein. But my stomach seems fine drinking Water, crystal light, etc. Walking 3 miles a day on treadmill makes me feel real good.

In fact, it's gone so good I've been wondering a little of the same thing. Is my sleeve small enough. My doctor used a 38F with glue buttress. I feel like I'm ready for mushies even thouhg he has me doing full liquids for another 4 weeks. Not sure I can handle that. I'm ready now. Just trying to hold out longer before breaking his recommended plan. Not that hungry but just want to chew something for a change and have some real flavor. The weight is coming off...28 pounds so far....so that is great.

Ok...I had to ask Dr. Aceves what his standards were on bougie size. He usually uses a 36 bougie and then he sutures over the staple line making the stomach smaller as if he had used a 34 bougie.

He has had patients ask for a larger size and so he is flexible.

Thanks for posting this Tiff. This was one of the questions on my "Ask Dr. Aceves List".

yup the doctor definately used a 32/34 boughie on me. . . advanced to soft Protein foods today and my goodness only about 4 spoonfuls went down and then it felt like i was so full i would burst!

Ok...I had to ask Dr. Aceves what his standards were on bougie size. He usually uses a 36 bougie and then he sutures over the staple line making the stomach smaller as if he had used a 34 bougie.

He has had patients ask for a larger size and so he is flexible.

Thanks for posting this Tiff. This was one of the questions on my "Ask Dr. Aceves List".

What other Ask Dr. Aceves questions did you have? Are there any you wished you would have asked him? Glad he sutures over the staple lines makes me feel better. Getting close...

I love being able to come here and see that so many people are in the same place as me, wondering the same things! how reassuring. I have a 40 and was wondering "is this too big?" "will I lose" "how come I don't feel restricted on liquids? " and I click and see others are thinking the same things and people ahead of us have answers.. Thank you so much!!!

I loved looking at the pens, what a visual - how can I worry after looking at that!

Thanks all

Diane

What other Ask Dr. Aceves questions did you have? Are there any you wished you would have asked him? Glad he sutures over the staple lines makes me feel better. Getting close...

Stuck, before I had my surgery I would just jot down questions I wanted to ask my Doc, but to be honest with you, I didn't ask very many once there because he was so detailed in our dicussion the day before surgery that he pretty much asnwered every one of my questions before I could ask them.

There are several good threads on this forum with lists of questions to ask your doc if you are interested in those. I'll see if I can find one and post the link.

:001_smile:

Does anyone know what size of bougie Dr. Aceves does? Is there a standard size that he does or does it depend on the person? Thank you so much for the picture you posted Tiff. It helped me a lot as I am a visual person.

Dr. Aceves uses the 36 bougie and staples as close as possible to the bougie. I asked about the 32 and he said 36 was the lowest size he would use. Dr.

Aceves explained that if a doctor uses a 32 and does not do the surgery right you will

still get a larger one anyway. He told me I will have all the restriction I need to lose the weight

I want to lose. I am almost four weeks out and have to agree with him.

Does anyone know what is the differences in oz of food/liquids for each bougie size? It doesn't look like it could be that much. I've asked 3 times to my surgeon's office and can't get them to answer as to what size they will be using.

I have a size 32 and the nurse said the doctor left me with a 3 oz tummy.

Does anyone know what is the differences in oz of food/liquids for each bougie size? It doesn't look like it could be that much. I've asked 3 times to my surgeon's office and can't get them to answer as to what size they will be using.

I have a 34, oversewn but not necessarily to make it "smaller" as I have heard some descriptions although it may take a smidge off the size...it was more as a second line of defense against leaks. I think it is important to note that the pens/markers shown are not the "final" size of your new sleeve. It is rather the size of the tool used to make the measurements in order to make the new-sized tummy. I hope that makes sense, maybe someone else can come along and explain it better, but at least I wanted to toss that out there so that people are not confused.

M2G,

You make perfect sense. The surgeon just uses the bougie as a guideline. It is his or her prerogative to what size they determine the pouch.