Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Boughie size comparison

I ran across this on OH, and thought I would share.

Of course, there will be some variations once the healing is completed, and I've been told that my new tummy is about the diameter of an average sized man's middle finger which is bigger than the BIC pen, or even the next one down. But, I thought this was interesting, and wanted to share. The end result will be larger than the boughie because it's strictly a measuring tool.

Bougie%20Size.jpg

Wow, this is interesting... and a bit scary. How is this possible? Science amazes me every single day! :confused1:

It's hard to imagine anybody regaining weight with a stomach this small. I've seen a few people on OH that have had the sleeve and experienced regain. The surgeon told me the sleeve would be about the size of my thumb, but this visual really helps to see what a difference there is. It doesn't look like the bougie size is going to make that much difference. The difference between a 32 and 40 - the most common sizes - seems pretty irrelevant when you see what they actually look like.

Thanks Tiffy. I saw this over there as well. My doc is giving me a 40 with Buttress to Staples. He said my stomach would be the size of my thumb. I have tiny hands (size 6.5 shoes) so that looks about right. It's hard to imagine overeating or gaining with a stomach the size of my thumb!

Wow that is interesting. . . my doctor said mine would be 32/34. . . today that seems major impossible. . . i can do the following 8 days out. . . "eat" Jello 8oz no problem, drink broth 8 oz no problem, drink Water 1 mouthful at a time over a 20 minute period. . eat a popsicle without difficulty and in normal time. . . is this normal? I know it's only liquids but is this ok? I'm really worried when it's time to have the next phase. . . anyone else had this happen, liquids without difficulty, no heaving, nausea, or nothing? Tummy does let me know when it's accepting the liquids but it goes down without a problem. . . .oh and i'm still have diarrhea 3-4 times a day since the contrast. . .

Thin,

I noticed a big difference when I went to soft solids from liquids. I didn't feel too much restriction on liquids which surprised me but a whole different story when I moved on to solids, way more restriction. My bougie is a 36.

Thanks itstime, i was starting to wonder if the doctor even did the surgery cause i can manage all this so well. . . well we'll find out tomorrow now won't we. . . I'm a little afraid to start the next phase because what if i can't tolerate the foods? I really like everything i'm going to be eating, i just don't want to puke . . guess slow and steady wins the race right?

Wow! Thanks for the visual Tiff. Yesterday I forgot about my sleeve, (yup, just plain ol' forgot), and ate my dinner FAST! Followed by vomiting. It's been months since I did that. Think I'll carry a bic pen to remind me. Thanks.

Wow that is interesting. . . my doctor said mine would be 32/34. . . today that seems major impossible. . . i can do the following 8 days out. . . "eat" Jello 8oz no problem, drink broth 8 oz no problem, drink Water 1 mouthful at a time over a 20 minute period. . eat a popsicle without difficulty and in normal time. . . is this normal? I know it's only liquids but is this ok? I'm really worried when it's time to have the next phase. . . anyone else had this happen, liquids without difficulty, no heaving, nausea, or nothing? Tummy does let me know when it's accepting the liquids but it goes down without a problem. . . .oh and i'm still have diarrhea 3-4 times a day since the contrast. . .

Diarrhea is normal for awhile until you get to solid food.

I was also someone who had no trouble drinking. I had to force myself to slow down when they told me 2 oz every 20 min. I wanted to drink 8 oz all at once. Mushy/soft foods were also really easy and went down great.

It wasn't until I progressed to solid foods that I really felt like my stomach was actually sleeved.

Wow..that's hard to comprehend!! My question is how does the doctor decide what size he's going to use? I don't have a clue what size mine should/will be. Is it based on your height?

Wow..that's hard to comprehend!! My question is how does the doctor decide what size he's going to use? I don't have a clue what size mine should/will be. Is it based on your height?

The standard is between the 32fr-36fr. Some surgeons oversew the staple line when you using the 34-36, and that can reduce the size slightly.

My surgeon uses a 32fr because that is what gives his patients the best results with the least complications.

Diarrhea is normal for awhile until you get to solid food.

I was also someone who had no trouble drinking. I had to force myself to slow down when they told me 2 oz every 20 min. I wanted to drink 8 oz all at once. Mushy/soft foods were also really easy and went down great.

It wasn't until I progressed to solid foods that I really felt like my stomach was actually sleeved.

Thanks Oregondaisy! I was starting to wonder if i was doing this clear liquid thing wrong. . . i'm glad to hear there is another person out there who did the same thing. . . i drink 8 oz within 10 minutes now without problems. . .and can continue after about 5 minutes after finishing it. . . i have never had a problem with nausea or vomiting at all, no headaches either. . . guess i'm keeping pretty hydrated. . . . thanks again.

It's hard to imagine anybody regaining weight with a stomach this small. I've seen a few people on OH that have had the sleeve and experienced regain. The surgeon told me the sleeve would be about the size of my thumb, but this visual really helps to see what a difference there is. It doesn't look like the bougie size is going to make that much difference. The difference between a 32 and 40 - the most common sizes - seems pretty irrelevant when you see what they actually look like.

Janep -- Can you tell us more, or direct us to the links where people discussed regain with the sleeve? That worries me, as I thought the sleeve was pretty much "stretch-proof". Are the people regaining long-term sleevers, or are they eating high-calorie stuff, like shakes? This makes me very nervous... I'd really like to know more... Thanks! :001_smile:

Does anyone know what size of bougie Dr. Aceves does? Is there a standard size that he does or does it depend on the person? Thank you so much for the picture you posted Tiff. It helped me a lot as I am a visual person.