Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone.

I have been lurking on the boards for a couple weeks now. After watching my roomate go through lap band surgery, I decided that I wanted to have wls also. it was a big deal to me. almost as if i had admitted defeat. I always felt that wls were for those who were superly morbdily obese like my friend. I always told myself that i didnt need wls. that i can and have done it on my own.

Well after almost 5 years of doing it on my own, I am up almost 100lbs, on BP medication (3 to be exact) and colesterol meds. I am a ticking time bomb! I have a 4 year old daughter who needs me. she needs me to be a better mother to her than I have been. I have let my weight hold me back from doing lots of things with her. she is the light of my life and I dont want to be a sickly, fat, lazy boring mom. she deserves the best of me.

So, i decided that considering wls is NOT admitting defeat. its a new lease on life. I am so excited about my decision to get sleeved! Its all i can talk about. Hell, its all I think about!

Today I am going to the mandatroy seminar for wls. I cant wait to get started with presugical testing and to finally have a surgery date.

I am looking forward to connecting with you all!

Welcome! I am pre-op, like you, and all I want to do all day is read about the VSG! I am way excited, too. I'm getting sleeved on New Year's Eve...so I'm getting my New Year's SleEve (ha ha).

I only have 2 more weeks to wait. I am hoping I can finally settle down and do some work...instead of obsessing about the VSG!

Best of luck to you - keep us updated!

Breek, Welcome. This is a great place to find answers and connect with people in the same, similar situation.

Best of luck and look forward to hearing from you again.

Barb

Welcome to the boards and from coming out of lurking!! :sneaky2:)

It's a great site and you'll be happy with your decision!! It's the best one I ever made!!!

good Luck to you!!

@renebeau - thats hilarious-new years sleeve! what a way to bring in the new year! you are so lucky to have a date already. i am sitting at the seminar as we speak, waiting for it to begin. i know what you mean about finally getting some work done. all i do day in and day out is research! cant wait to see how you progress!

@barb - thanks for the welcome. i am looking foward to becoming a big participant on the boards.

@Chancie - thanks for the welcome. i am beginning to feel that this is going to be the best decision of my life as well.

Welcome to VST! I've found these forums so very helpful and supportive, I'm excited to get to know you.

Congratulations on your decision! I was a lot like you in not thinking wls was for me. I finally decided to check out wls after my research for "hypnosis for weight loss" kept producing web pages promoting the surgeries and never looked back after that.

How did the seminar go?

Edited by deedee
poor phrasing

@deedee - the seminar went well. u didnt learn anything that i hadnt already known friom my obsessive-like research over the past few weeks. if it wasnt mandatory i wouldnt have gone. i did hoever have a chance to briefly speak with the doctor who i want to do my surgery he pout me at ease.

so, first thing tomorrow morning i wll schedule my consult, psych eval and ntritionist. hopefully i cand do all three early next week or the week after. iam hping to get a surgery date for mid february.

thanks for the welcome

Breek - welcome to VST and congrats on taking control of your life and your health - your daughter will be thrilled to have a mom who can do the things she wants to do ... keep us posted on your progess and your surgery date.

isnt it fun making steps towards reclaiming your life ***grins and sighs*** good luck chick.... and congrats to you for making such a positive life changing decision :-)

Breek - welcome to VST and congrats on taking control of your life and your health - your daughter will be thrilled to have a mom who can do the things she wants to do ... keep us posted on your progess and your surgery date.

VegasAngel - as soon as i made the decision, i felt a huge relief. Now I know that something WILL be done instead of constantly telling myself that something NEEDS to be done. First on my list of things to do with my daughter after a good amount of weight loss is to get us some swimming lessons. I am aiming for this coming spring/summer!

isnt it fun making steps towards reclaiming your life ***grins and sighs*** good luck chick.... and congrats to you for making such a positive life changing decision :-)

dange25 - it is so exciting! I am feeling things that i havent felt in a long time. things like hope and promise. I can visualize myself months and years from now and not be compeltely discouraged because i cant see anything different from how things are currently. Now I see new potential a new and more fulfilling life for me and my baby girl. I am hella excited!

Dr. Aceves is doing my sleeve on January 5, 2010. I feel free already! Occasionally, I get a wave of "OMG, what am I doing?!?" But, it passes quickly.

Today, I went to the bank, drained my savings, and got a cashier's check for the surgery. Hmmmmm, my life savings is saving my life! I had no problem withdrawing the money. It just felt right.

I look forward to telling you all about my experience!

Edited by Jillyr

Dr. Aceves is doing my sleeve on January 5, 2010. I feel free already! Occasionally, I get a wave of "OMG, what am I doing?!?" But, it passes quickly.

Today, I went to the bank, drained my savings, and got a cashier's check for the surgery. Hmmmmm, my life savings is saving my life! I had no problem withdrawing the money. It just felt right.

I look forward to telling you all about my experience!

Jillyr - i an so jealous! i only have my first surgical consult on January 6th. i cant wait hear about your expwriece. congratulations on God bless!

Breek-

Congratulations on making the decision to take control and LIVE your life! What you are doing for yourself and your daughter is so great! Jan. 6 will be here quickly!

Break -

Congratulations on your decision to have WLS. I can honestly say its the best thing I have ever done for myself and my family. I too, have a 4 year old (and an 8 year old). I initially thought I was being a little selfish for spending all the money for ME. But now, after seeing the positive effects of the weight loss on my family, it really was for all of us. Like I've said before: happier, healthier mommy = happier, healthier family.

Good luck on your journey and welcome to VST.