Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is anyone hungry? Or is it just me?

I want to pose a true grit question here. Has anyone been hungry just a week and a half out after surgery?

I was just sleeved last Monday and people all over the board have raved about their sleeves and the loss of hunger, and filling up on half a cup or less etc.

I know head hunger is different than real hunger, but I am not sure what I am experiencing. I truly wasn't hungry the first 3-4 days since I was so many meds, and hurting, so it went by fast, but now, after 10 days, I am feeling hungrier. I can have my Protein Shake, then Soup and a popsicle and still wish I could have a cracker or something. I am on the liquid post op diet for another week and wondering when I eat real solid food or even mushies if this will change.

In other words, do you think I am hungry since liquids move through quicker than other food so I don't feel my sleeve fill up? I have yet to feel "FULL" since surgery, but since I haven't had solid food in almost a month, I am not sure what I am feeling.

Does this make sense to anyone? I just want to know what I am experiencing is normal and that I am on the right track!

Thanks!

Also, just wanted to add, I have never had foamies or an upset stomach and have held everything down since day one. Never been sick.

Hate the taste of antacid liquid meds etc, but never thrown up! Many have said they eat too quick or too much and get sick....

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I'm starving! I am still on my liquid phase and the thought of anymore broth or Protein drinks make me want to dry heave. Tomorrow I go to full liquids and if I have no problems I can progress to pureed foods shortly after--I'm really hopeful at that point is when the 'no hungry' really kicks in.

My 1st pureed will be malt o meal--I think it is the same consistency of cream of wheat, I'm REALLY excited!

Conclusion: I'm hungry.

rcarter,

Right there with you friend! I am three weeks and 2 days out. and right around one and half weeks to two weeks after surgery I felt hungry allllll the time! it was torturous!

I am on mushies right now and thought I would be so excited at this point but actually find that eating things kind of doesnt feel good to me. I have also never thrown up or gotten nauseus and I dont get a full feeling either. I just stop at very little as soon as I have had a few bites. The hungry feeling for me was pretty intense for a week or so and I actually do think it was partly real and partly head.

Now that has passed and I am now feeling like not eating at all. I would rather just avoid it all together other than a Water cracker here and there or a sip or two of Soup. I now hate the sweet Protein drink but feel like I am going to have to drink it as otherwise I am getting no nutrition. I do crave a salad now and then. But be assured, it is normal and will likely pass.

yes I was feeling hungry that early out. your explanation is true. your stomach empty fluids quickly and you get hungry again. but anyway you will never be able to overeat with the sleeve. when you move to mushies and solid, it will get better but don't drink the 45 minutes after you eat so as not to hasten the process of gastric emptying.

I read another explanation in obesity help site that nerves around the stomach have been cut and they need time for regeneration. these nerves are responsible for sending the signal of being full. so after 6 weeks when nerve regeneration is complete, you will be able to stay full for longer periods.

my hunger was severe at the very beginning. also part of it that I was really curious to test the behaviour of different food with the sleeve. Now, at 6 weeks out, I don't feel hungry. it gets very very much better.

so just hang in there. what you are going through could be pretty normal as many friends that early out reported being hungry. but rest assured, It will get better over time. best wishes.

I was sleeved also in Dec. 8th. We are one day apart. I some days don't know what I am feeling. Some meals I think I'm hungry but then it just feels like an empty feeling. I am really not understanding what I am feeling.

Whether I am hungry, empty or full when I do eat. I am sure over time both of us will learn what we are suppose to with this sleeve.

I also have had no problems with nausea,vomiting or anything. I have been able to hold down everything that I have wanted to sip.

Some things are a little sweet, even the sugar free stuff.

Do you have pain sometimes on your upper left side?

weight.png

Well girls, we are all in the same boat here. I am 15 days out, and I too, feel hunger. Have since the 2nd week. I find myself grazing all day. Trying to keep my calories down. I've been stalled for 11 days now. I'm walking, eating the right amount of calories, I'm drinking more than 40 ozs of liquids, but still no change. I will fix things I now I can eat, like sauteed shrimp or eggs or refried Beans, and nibble on them all day, until I get my Protein in. I crave things also, crunchy salty things..like crackers or chips, but have only indugled in ritz crackers a few times. I am trying to be patient and possitive, but it seems to get harder as I go. I was hoping for 20 lbs to be gone by now. I guess the saying really goes..."good things come to those who wait" but DANG....

omg im with you all- i was sleeved 29th nov - im really happy but confused over food i get "hungry" but also dont know what sort of hunger.

I finally put a name to whats happened to me twice FOAMIES!! i think thats what ive had could someone explain what it is.

Ive been sick twice it wasnt the quantity but the food itself was a bit crap.

Im eating ok on the whole but if i see another cottage cheese i will scream.

Im not losing very quickly but its not bothering me.

I dont think im having any more than about 750 cals a day. But im eating really well.

Lots of home juicing and fresh Soups also fresh salmon. Yummy yummy.

Anyway good luck all.

xxxx

Dalite

Well ladies! This is so helpful. I think it is important for us to all tell our "stories" since so many seem easy, not hungry, and losing fast. I think each of our bodies are different, but it is important for me to feel "normal".

What some of you have described as the empty feeling and not being able to put a finger on it really describes my feeling. I think the comment on obesity help about nerve endings could have some real truth to it so i am ready for the day I feel satisfied again.

Also, lauramomof3, I have soreness in my lower right hand side, not upper left, but that is where my largest incision is and the surgeon said this was normal. Is your left side the longest incision, I know it takes longer to heal where our stomachs were actually removed from.

Thanks to everyone for posting, keep them coming, just knowing everyone else is as sick of the Protein shakes as I am makes me laugh a little, we are really in the same boat.

I get to start mushies in another week or so, and am looking forward to some different tastes!

It has been Protein Shakes, strained 98% fat free Soups, broths and Water only for me (crystal lite). And I can have popsicles and sf Jello, but got tired of those on my pre-op so I only have my 2-3 items a day.

Good luck to everyone. The good news is: I am still losing! We can do this, congrats to everyone on their sleeve!

Stay in touch!

Rachel

I'm seriously contemplating melting cheeze whiz (or velveeta), thinning it out and drinking it.

Okay, so I might not DO it, but man, I think my hunger level would be satisfied!

LOL

THat's so funny!

I bet honestly, that wouldn't help us either! I think the healing time is huge and once we can eat more substantial foods, we will feel better!

HANG IN THERE!

We can do this, I am focusing on some new hot skinny jeans to wear whenever I think of bad food!

xoxo

Rachel

I was sleeved also in Dec. 8th. We are one day apart. I some days don't know what I am feeling. Some meals I think I'm hungry but then it just feels like an empty feeling. I am really not understanding what I am feeling.

Whether I am hungry, empty or full when I do eat. I am sure over time both of us will learn what we are suppose to with this sleeve.

I also have had no problems with nausea,vomiting or anything. I have been able to hold down everything that I have wanted to sip.

Some things are a little sweet, even the sugar free stuff.

Do you have pain sometimes on your upper left side?

weight.png

I was sleeved Dec 5th, had no problem with , broth with few noodles, tea, yougart mixed with Water and salt, and Centrum as a Multivitamin, fresh juices like apple , carrot and last night orange juice.

yes I have some pain sometimes on my upper right side :)

I am not hungry all the time but when I smeel food I feel so bad, espacially stuff that I love like sushi :)

ofcourse, u will feel better when u start eating normal food , like rice and meat, but now ur stomach is always empty asking u to eat all the time, it's a phase that will pass " my dr said that"

lebyvr

We are not supposed to drink orange juice, no acid. I've not had that at all. And

I've been told juices have a lot of sugar and carbs in them, that may slow down weight loss. Just to let you know.

i havent had a Protein Shake since 3 days before surgery on the 7th! i got so tired of them i just basically starved the last 3 days of pre op because i could not bring myself to drink one! i started mushies yesterday, and have since felt full and satisfied until its time to eat again. now, before yesterday, i felt hungry ALL THE TIME! but as soon as i sat down and started eating some cream Soup i knew immediately i wasnt actually hungry and stopped! the mushies have been great for me because i love the foods i am able to eat! i have a few bites of avocado with my chicken salad or refried Beans and am SO full after just a few bites. so it will get better! just keep in mind that this faze will pass and soon you will be eating yummy stuff again!

I am 12 days post op and I have always felt hungry! I am thinking of all the things I will eat when I get to mushies. But I am surprised also at how much Soup I can eat now. I think our stomachs must empty fast and we will get full longer when we go to mushies/solid. The Soups go down so easy! I am still losing very well tho, down 14lbs, 16lbs if you count first weigh in in the am. Can't wait!