Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I went for my pre-op bloodwork and EKG. Regretably, the nurse called and said the EKG was abnormal. I was wondering if any of you had this occur? She was going to show it to the surgeon and anesthesiologist and call me back. Just curious if this is always a deal-braker?

I can't answer your question about it being a deal breaker or not. I hope it's not or that it is something easily remedied. Please keep me posted. It was good to see and talk to you today!

Hi there!

I actually had my EKG quite early in the process because during my visit with the nurse, she noticed I had an irregular heartbeat. So I saw my general physician for my annual appointment & got an EKG as well. She freaked out when she saw the results (and freaked me out too) and got me into the cardiologist for the NEXT day. She also told me there was no way I would get to have the surgery. At this point I was quite upset.

I saw the cardiologist the next day, they did another EKG. After seeing those results, the cardiologist ordered more tests. I did a stress test, a heart sonogram, and a 24 hour holter monitor. Saw the cardiologist a couple weeks later, he told me I had Premature Ventricular Contractions - basically the bottom chamber of my heart pumps too often and so it doesn't always get a chance to completely fill up with blood before it pumps it out. This is actually a quite common heart problem (so they tell me). However, I have about 14,000 PVCs a day, so my heart isn't ALWAYS irregular. My cardiologist said he's seen patients with 70,000 a day - I can only imagine!

He put me on a beta blocker just to protect my heart during surgery, but completely cleared me & wants to see me back in a year. He says it's probably been with me my whole life. Sorry this was a bit long, but I know how frustrated and upset I was when my family doctor told me it was definitely a no-go (though she was never supportive of WLS in the first place...), and I hope I can help so someone else doesn't have to feel that same way! :lol0: So not a deal breaker for me! :party4: Good luck & let us know what you hear back!

When I was on Phentermine for over 1 year, it damaged a bit of my heart. . now with each EKG it show and inverted T wave which shows that there has been mild myocardial infarction. . . I just mention this to the physician and he is ok with that. .

Midwest and Thinoneday,

Thanks so much for your encouragement. It is good to hear it is not "all that uncommon." I am now on day 2 of the pre-op diet, and I am just trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other to make this journey. I think the nurse is suppose to call tomorrow, so I will post what I find out. My guess is maybe some additional tests like MWGirl went through? We'll see. It was really helpful to have your replies! Thanks.

I saw the cardiologist the next day, they did another EKG. After seeing those results, the cardiologist ordered more tests. I did a stress test, a heart sonogram, and a 24 hour holter monitor. Saw the cardiologist a couple weeks later, he told me I had Premature Ventricular Contractions - basically the bottom chamber of my heart pumps too often and so it doesn't always get a chance to completely fill up with blood before it pumps it out. This is actually a quite common heart problem (so they tell me). However, I have about 14,000 PVCs a day, so my heart isn't ALWAYS irregular. My cardiologist said he's seen patients with 70,000 a day - I can only imagine!

My Dad was diagnosed with this same condition - Premature Ventricular Contractions (PVC). I don't know how many he had going but it was so bad he had no energy. Walking from the couch to the kitchen wore him out. After diagnosis he had surgery where they electrically stimulated the part of the heart that was out of rhythm and caused it to get back in sync. After that he has been great and totally back to normal.

Good luck to you Barbann. I know waiting is frustrating. Hopefully whatever this is will not be an issue for your sleeve date.

This exact same thing happened to me the Friday before my surgery. Apparently it can read abnormal on some level even if your heart rate is ok. I don't know the technical terms, but I had this information explained to me since I was panicking. They told me the same thing as you, and the nurse said she'd have to show it to the anesthesiologist. She didn't know if I would have to reschedule my surgery and I was very worried. Turns out, it may have even been the machine, but even with the "abnormal" ekg my heart was fine (never had any issues and am 33 years old), both the surgeon and med dr went ahead with scheduled surgery and I have been fine with no complications afterwards.

I am from Austin too, where are you having surgery, maybe it is the same "broken" machine as mine!

Good luck, don't worry and it is always better safe than sorry!

R

RCarter 76,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It is good to have the support of others who have "been there." I am in Austin, but am having my procedure done in Dallas. My daughter is there and it was a bit more affordable. I guess there are a lot more bariatric procedures done in Dallas and Houston, my surgeon said Austin was "too fit." Sure hope I am one of those folks one day. I am scheduled for 12/29, since I am off work at that time. Thanks again for your post!

You got it! I actually had my surgery in San Antonio with Dr. Patel at Innova Hospital, it went well and he is awesome! I think being near someone to help out the first week or so is ideal, you will need it just since you will be sore. And I needed help getting up and out of bed and around the house. Remember to WALK often it helps get the gases out.

Much luck!

Keep in touch we are both in Austin!

Rachel

RCarter 76,

Thanks so much for the encouragement. It is good to have the support of others who have "been there." I am in Austin, but am having my procedure done in Dallas. My daughter is there and it was a bit more affordable. I guess there are a lot more bariatric procedures done in Dallas and Houston, my surgeon said Austin was "too fit." Sure hope I am one of those folks one day. I am scheduled for 12/29, since I am off work at that time. Thanks again for your post!

I just came across your posting. How did your surgery go? It looks like we're about the same size and I am also using Dr Nicholson. Would love to hear how you're doing today.

Now 2017, and my surgery is Jan 31. I go ogled about ekg and thank God your posts came up. I had a bit of an irregular ekg but my internist/cardiologist approved me for my surgery and tell surgeon wasn't concerned either . However, my internist/cardiologist set up a pet scan but not before the surgery. I just found out and am so upset I keep thinking I'm going to die during surgery. Any comments. Please . My email is sonkat5355@aol.com. I am not good at finding replies to my posts on here. Love the site though. Thxs. Please reply!

????sonkat5355????

Hi there!

I actually had my EKG quite early in the process because during my visit with the nurse, she noticed I had an irregular heartbeat. So I saw my general physician for my annual appointment & got an EKG as well. She freaked out when she saw the results (and freaked me out too) and got me into the cardiologist for the NEXT day. She also told me there was no way I would get to have the surgery. At this point I was quite upset.

He put me on a beta blocker just to protect my heart during surgery, but completely cleared me & wants to see me back in a year. He says it's probably been with me my whole life. Sorry this was a bit long, but I know how frustrated and upset I was when my family doctor told me it was definitely a no-go (though she was never supportive of WLS in the first place...), and I hope I can help so someone else doesn't have to feel that same way! :lol0: So not a deal breaker for me! :party4: Good luck & let us know what you hear back!

This was really helpful thanks Midwestgirl. I just got a call today from the bariatric nurse that my ck levels are elevated and my ekg was abnormal. Waiting to hear back from my pcp. Worried it's going to make the process longer or I have a heart condition.