Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Major complications @ emmanuel medical center

Hi Libby. I remember meeting you there. I can't remember if it was you or your roommate that stated they had the lapband that had tore a 4 inch hole in their stomach and they were getting the sleeve done. The day you all came to the clinic was the day I was checking out to go to the recovery house. I only met you both for a few minutes. I had surgery the same day as Mitzi. Kristina, Tasha and Jesus all had surgery on the 20th. Mitzi also had problems later with a small infection. I haven't heard from any of the others except Jesus and he apparantly didn't have any problems but he had the RNY done.

I also noticed the glove thing and I also mentioned it to my roommate. I also agree about them not checking vitals once you go to the recovery house. I think at the very least they need to check them before they send you home.

I spent one night at Dr. Betancourts house. I enjoyed my stay for the most part aside from being cold most of the time and Dr. Batancourt's spare bed was hard as a rock. I feel everyone treated me good and I have no complaints about that. I worry about the infections going on at the time. That's all I was ever trying to say. I hope they can take care of the problem and people can go home on the mend. Not dealing with more problems, making a bargain surgery cost a lot more in the end.

Hey you! I thought you looked familiar!

Yes, that was the other girl, Michelle - from Washington - that came in the same day as I did..... she had a nasty infection with the band and it had been removed several months prior to her sleeve surgery that day.

Hope you're feeling a little more "normal" these days and that the worst for both of us has passed! :blush:

A friend of mine talked to one of the gals who is in the hospital in the U.S. after returning from

this facility. Nobody has mentioned the fact that this infection everyone from there is getting is MRSA

A friend of mine talked to one of the gals who is in the hospital in the U.S. after returning from

this facility. Nobody has mentioned the fact that this infection everyone from there is getting is MRSA

Of course I cannot speak for anyone else, but my doctor did a bacterial culture test and treated me for staph and incision site abscess..... not MRSA... the infection responded to the antibiotic therapy as expected and thus far, has not required further medical treatment.

Edited by TexasBlueTornado

I've read enough from posters on both forums about infections at Emmanuel clinic that I believe it is true. I would not be able to afford tens of thousands of dollars of hospital bills for treatment if a bad infection occurred. Not to mention loss of work days, pain and suffering, or even possible death. Successful surgery with no complications is my number one priority.

My PCP did a culture and it was not MRSA. She initially treated me for MRSA until she got the lab results back and then switched my antibiotic once the results came back stating it wasn't MRSA. My infection responded quite well to the antibiotics too.

My PCP did a culture and it was not MRSA. She initially treated me for MRSA until she got the lab results back and then switched my antibiotic once the results came back stating it wasn't MRSA. My infection responded quite well to the antibiotics too.

Was it staph though? It would be interesting to hear if all those infected had the same "bug".

I've read enough from posters on both forums about infections at Emmanuel clinic that I believe it is true. I would not be able to afford tens of thousands of dollars of hospital bills for treatment if a bad infection occurred. Not to mention loss of work days, pain and suffering, or even possible death. Successful surgery with no complications is my number one priority.

I believe it is true as well. thinasiwant stated it wasn't true because her coordinator told her so. Why would her coordinator tell her the truth? Not saying she did or didn't, I'm just saying I wouldn't believe everything you hear when someone is making money on your surgery. People need to take all the information they see and form their own opinions.

Was it staph though? It would be interesting to hear if all those infected had the same "bug".

I am not sure. She didn't tell me. I will ask her next time I go in.

cajun, you are a nurse. Isn't MRSA

a form of staph?

cajun, you are a nurse. Isn't MRSA

a form of staph?

Yes, it stands for methicillin resistant staph aureus. There are other staph infections that are not mrsa. They are easier to treat.

OK, I'm getting pretty nervous. I'm scheduled to have surgery w/ Dr. Almanza the 3rd wk of Jan and can't turn a blind eye to all this talk about infections. Does anyone know of any incidences of infections that may have occurred this mth (December)? I've been assured that the problems w/ infections have been corrected. If this continues to be a problem I won't go through w/ this surgery. I have seen infections that resulted in major, irreversible damage including death...they shouldn't be taken lightly. If anyone knows of any recent cases of infections at Emmanuel w/i this mth please e-mail me. I want the VSG but not at any cost. To GinGin, NJSleever & others, thanks for posting. Your experiences have been most helpful to me.

My dear girl,

You will be in the new Jerusalem hospital by then, we are going down with family mid January and I am not very concerned at all having had mine last Sept. Everything has been checked and rechecked and they cannot find any source for the infections. I would perhaps recommend a spray antiseptic to put on your abdomen after showering and before the gauze is put on, that is what we intend to do. You will receive anitbiotics to tak while there and bring home too. My experience was that the nurses did wear sterile gloves when changing dressings. Perhaps take some hand sanitizer for yourself as you will also be handling your incisions sites. By the way, a quater inch of redness surrounding an incision is normal and so is some oozing after the stitches are removed. these are not infections, the redness would have to be much much more than that, just be sure NOT to put any oil based anti-biotic ointments on the incisions at home as oil clogs the holes and doesn't allow for proper drainage and ventilation, thus creating a bigger problem.

Hope this helps in your decision, I feel it is very safe and a great fun place to go to and 98% of the people who go there feel the same way. Dr Almanza is skilled and experienced and you will be in good hands.

Please do not let fear cheat you of this life altering procedure.

Donna

I am so sorry this has been such an ordeal. It is totally unnecessary as most infections can be prevented with proper precautions. Thank you for posting this. As you can see, you've given at least one poster the information she was looking for.

This is a cutt and paste of my story, Yes i am lazy and tired of typing it but it needs to be told.

To anyone reading this thinking of going to ANY Mexican Dr or more specifically, FORMER Dr Andreas Bettancort in Tijuana for ANYTHING, PLEASE DEAR GOD RUN LIKE THE WIND.

My name is Greg i WAS a very stupid person, Some how some way even with me looking this guys history it all got past me.

To call him a butcher is just being to nice. So many times before the surgery i had the opportunity to walk away and i stupidly didn't. Like when i got the 20$ xray or when he fed me a big Breakfast the morning before my Gastric bypass "open surgery".

Or when he checked me into the cheesy nasty Mexican rat hole of a clinic "hospital". Or when they rolled me into the cheesy rat hole of an operating room...It has a window.

Or when they laid me out on a operating table made for midgets. Which by the way i rolled off of during my surgery spilling out my innards on the dirty floor.

I woke up from my stupor 2 days later with Nasty andreas telling me I WAS COSTING HIM TO MUCH MONEY!

So he was sending me back to the hotel!

Keep in mind i am now deep into renal failure peritonitis.

He calls my sister and informs her of this she was in Florida.

She lets him know if he dosent get me to the states he will not be in this world much longer...Thanks sis!

So he sends me to the border and has the cheesy Mexican ambulance drivers DUMP me there at the border.

Where a us fire rescue picks me up and rushes my dieing self to Sharps Chula Vista hospital.

The Great Dr's there are no stranger to Andreas Bettancort's fiascoes.

I was in a coma for 3 1/2 months... I was in that hospital for 5 1/2 months

My original Mexican Butchery was on September 12th 2007

It is now August 2009 and i STILL have a bandage where that BUTCHER hacked me open...Thats right My open wound is still trying to heal over 2 years now

Now i must take this space to Thank all the wonderful Dr's and The beautiful Nurses at Sharps Chula Vista Hospital.

People like DR Videen Dr Summers..to many more dr's to remember and name.

Also i want to thank the Nurses and Occupational Theripsts At Birch Patrick Rehab

And #$%^& My Favorite Nurse she stood out, They were all great though.

The punch line is this if you want to COMMIT SUICIDE then Andreas Bettancourt is your man.

It has been over 2 years since this trip down the road to heII started...I AM guessing i will be on this road for the rest of my life.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you go to or do anything medical with any of the below Dr's Or Clinics or websites. YOU ARE TAKING A HUGE RISK WITH YOUR LIFE.

ALL websites and or people mentioned Below are affiliated with Andreas Bettancort in Tijuana

================================================

MyLapBandSurgery.Com

The Betancourt Medical Center

Dr. Martin Lopez Dominguez .... Total Quack

mexicoweightlosssurgeryteam.com

Emmanuel Medical Center

Emmanuel Surgery Center

emmanuelmedical.com

And last BUT NOT LEAST Andreas Bettancourt

Thank you for sharing your story.

My best wishes to you in your continued recovery.