Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost a month away from surgery

Hi, my name is Gwyn, I'm 35, married with two kids. I'm new here. My surgery is scheduled for the 21st of Jan with Dr. Zapata in MTY, MX. I am so looking foward to it. Like it's a new beginning. I just had my second baby in late October. Back in 2000 I had Galbladder surgery and weighed 290lbs. After my surgery I decided to get healthy. Through diet and exercise I got down to 220. Never could get lower. After meeting my husband and two kids later I gained it all back and then some. I'm now 335. It has gotten so much harder to loose the weight. Last year after my first baby I was exercising like crazy and starving with WW. The pounds were not coming off. I just gave up! It just seemed impossible. Since having my second baby and being completely misserable in my own skin I decided to have surgery. I was going to do the Lapband. I did a lot of research and set a date. I talk to some one in a forum about the fills and costs after surgery and she said she was going to have a revision to the sleeve. I had never heard of it then. So I did some research and I'm glad I did. I'm looking forward to having Portion Control. That was the most enticing thing about this whole surgery. Can't wait to start seeing the pounds come off.

Welcome and congrats on making a choice to make a better you. Not only for yourself but your hubby and kiddos.

Like you I am still waiting for my surgery I am just fnishing up classes with my local Kaiser. Keep us posted.

Welcome to VST! I am so very happy for your upcoming surgery. It has definitely changed my life and can't wait to follow you on your journey.

Hi! Welcome.

Congrats on your decision! I'm also waiting on my surgery date & my date is exactly one week before yours. Looking forward to going on this awesome journey with you! :bananajump:

Hi and welcome to our forums! Congratulations on your decision, I am sure you will not regret it. Keep us posted on how things are going with you.

Katrina, Wow, I can't believe you have already lost 43 lbs and you haven't had surgery yet. How are you doing it? I tried the Atkins diet just before Thanksgiving and could only do 12 days. I think its the lack of sleep. I find myself being hungry late at night. My sleep pattern is all messed up. I would like to loose some before the surgery though. Would love to know what you are doing.

I am so glad I found a group of women that will know what I am going through and I can share this with. My family is extremely supportive. My sister is paying for my surgery. She has seen me struggle my whole life. My husband is excited one day and the next day he tells me he's going to miss butt. I won't miss it. I'm tired of it being in the way.

Midwestgirl......where are you getting your surgery and I would love to go on this journey with you!

Thanks for the support.

Amerigirl

Katrina, Wow, I can't believe you have already lost 43 lbs and you haven't had surgery yet. How are you doing it? I tried the Atkins diet just before Thanksgiving and could only do 12 days. I think its the lack of sleep. I find myself being hungry late at night. My sleep pattern is all messed up. I would like to loose some before the surgery though. Would love to know what you are doing.

I am so glad I found a group of women that will know what I am going through and I can share this with. My family is extremely supportive. My sister is paying for my surgery. She has seen me struggle my whole life. My husband is excited one day and the next day he tells me he's going to miss butt. I won't miss it. I'm tired of it being in the way.

Midwestgirl......where are you getting your surgery and I would love to go on this journey with you!

Thanks for the support.

Amerigirl

Hey there, I am only doing what we will be doing after surgery. No drinking with meals, no drinking 30 mins before meals or until 30 mins after.

I eat much smaller portions and I was walking for 2 miles 3 days a week.

I also dont torment myself if I mess up I stop think and fix, I dont beat myself up.

I have only had 2 soda's since June/July I do Water, flavored water, and

Protein drinks.

I do fairly well with the sweets, I have a piece if I cant truely ignore the craving anymore but thats after fighting it for at least 2 days. If its still there, I take a bite/piece... then I am good.

Amerigirl, your comment about the butt made me laugh. The hubby and I were talking the other day that I no longer have the convenient built in shelf on my behind anymore. I sure don't miss that!

Amerigirl, Welcome. Similar story here with going with a lap band and then changing to sleeve once I really did my homework. My surgery is scheduled for Jan 19th with Dr. Aceves in Mexico. So our surgeries will be 2 days apart. I can't wait to hear how your journey goes.

Barb

Gwen, I had a lap band for 3 years then, had it removed on 11/27/09 and got the sleeve. I had my surgery through Dr. Zapata also! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!!

Hi Gwyn,

I'm having surgery at Genesis Medical Center in Davenport, Iowa, with Dr. Christophersen. I can't believe it's 9 days away! We're coming up soon. :thumbup: