Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas?

Hello all. I am in Las Vegas and am trying to do research on Dr. Tom Umbach here in LV. He is one of the newer (a few years) bariatric docs here in town. Background on me: banded in 2005, leak in band 2008, band removed (hoping to revise to sleeve at same time) March 2009, was not able to revise. Looking at getting the sleeve at this point.

Any thoughts? :lol0:

Youknowit- I sent you a PM with regard to my "knowledge" of Dr. Umbach.

Will also send you a PM with my PCP information.

I had my sleeve surgery with Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas on 11/11/09. I had a terrific experience. He is an excellent, caring surgeon with a ton of experience. Although he is new to Las Vegas, he has experience in other areas of the country.

I am a registered nurse and always do my research. Desert Springs is the hospital he operates at and I had a terrific experience there as well. Dr. Umbach has a very well planned out pre-op regimen and great follow-up. I highly recommend him.

My only other comment is that people on this board are VERY pro Mexico and seem extremely harsh on US surgeons. Do your own research and make your own judgement. This is actually my first post here on this board as I have been turned off by the negativity about US surgeons. There is some very good information here and it has helped me tremendously. I felt strongly that I should reply to your post as I have personal experience with Dr. Umbach.

Hi Molly&Pepper,

Thank you for posting this here. Regardless of the route I may ultimately choose, I am very interested in hearing all perspectives and thoughts. I'll say up front, I had a band in, and taken out in MX. I don't have a personal bias against it, or for it, but I have to be honest... having been down that road, I am not excited about the whole "trip" element of going back to MX for anything other than a margarita and the beach. I would truly love to stay closer to home if I can, but doing my "local" research, I haven't been very impressed with some of the other docs in Vegas, thus far. I haven't been to Umbach for a consult or anything yet, but I did go to Atkinson/Soong (Surgical Weight Control Center) and was very unhappy with my experience. I know Dr. Atkinson has an excellent reputation, but the office experience alone was so terrible, I have to pass (plus the $300 consult fee -- just to walk in the door -- was ridiculous, but I digress). Anyways, if you would like to PM me any additional information, or if you might feel comfortable talking with me about your journey on the phone, I would love that.

Thank you again, and congrats on your (almost) one month sleeve-rsary. :w00t:

I had my sleeve surgery with Dr. Umbach in Las Vegas on 11/11/09. I had a terrific experience. He is an excellent, caring surgeon with a ton of experience. Although he is new to Las Vegas, he has experience in other areas of the country.

I am a registered nurse and always do my research. Desert Springs is the hospital he operates at and I had a terrific experience there as well. Dr. Umbach has a very well planned out pre-op regimen and great follow-up. I highly recommend him.

My only other comment is that people on this board are VERY pro Mexico and seem extremely harsh on US surgeons. Do your own research and make your own judgement. This is actually my first post here on this board as I have been turned off by the negativity about US surgeons. There is some very good information here and it has helped me tremendously. I felt strongly that I should reply to your post as I have personal experience with Dr. Umbach.

Molly - welcome to VST. Thank you for sharing your personal knowledge of Dr. Umbach. It is good to have someone on the forum who has had personal experiences with individual surgeons and can share those experiences.

I don't think that the negativity on VST is against US surgeons insomuch as the cost of surgery in the US vs. Mexico if you don't have insurance to help cover the costs.

We are happy to have you as a member and hope that you will continue to post your progress. Congrats on your surgery and on the weight loss thus far.

There is a small group of VSGers in the Las Vegas area - would you be interested in getting together with us for lunch sometime? I think we have about 7 of us right now!

I wish that I could have found a surgeon with as much experience as Dr Aceves, as good a reputation, and as inexpensive, here in my area, because I would have certainly chosen to stay closer to home for many reasons. Easier, safer in terms of getting follow up in the event of any complications, no language barrier with nurses or any other staff, no travel time or expense etc, etc.

However I could not find anyone nearby who met those qualifications. There are more US physicians who are getting experience with the sleeve as time goes on, and eventually there will be lots of them across the country that will be excellent choices, I'm sure. For now, they are few and far between from what I've been able to determine. I'm glad you found one near your home. It will be easier on you than travelling.

My internist had referred me to a bariatric surgeon 1 1/2 hours from my home town of 200,000 people. No one locally was qualified. But when I did my research, I found that he had not done even 100 sleeves, so I was not willing to risk using him either. (research says after 300, the complication rate falls dramatically). She was surprised when I saw her next after getting back from Mexicali, but she was also impressed with the credentials of Dr Aceves. I'm impressed with the results! I've lost over 1/3 of my excess weight in just two months, and am feeling great.

I look forward to the day when any US citizen can find a well qualified, affordable Sleeve surgeon with a good program in their own home town. That will be the very best option.

Welcome to the board!

I would have done the surgery here. I found a well qualified surgeon in my area. It came down to $. ~~$18,000.00 VS $5,500.00. I am blonde, but, I can do math.

I would have done it here for $10,000.00. Just so you know my price.lol

Yes I took a chance. I came out fine. lucky me.

I have nothing bad to say about US surgeons. It was just a matter of cost as I am self pay.

I have made this comment before but, I am going to post it again. When obesity in a KNOWN cause of so much additional health care costs, WHy won't the insurance companies get on board with VSG? It would substantially reduce costs in the future.

(Leaving out the personal future benefits) I do not get it. There are so many cost benefits to covering this surgery, that far out weigh the down side. (initial cost) Where are the number crunchers? They need to wake up. Obesity is a National epidemic. It is not going to go away on its own.

OKay I am sorry for the rant. But, I do feel better, thanks for letting me vent. again.

Carolyn,

I love your rant, and I feel the same!! I am one of those "lucky" people with insurance... that doesn't pay for nearly anything ($5,000 for life on gastric procedures - this doesn't even scratch the check-in at the hospital for the band, sleeve, etc, here in LV). AND, my insurance is through my employer, AND my insurance SUCKS (also an HMO, which is never friendly to anything that costs them up-front, or in general).

With all the health care problems that may come with obesity, I cannot figure this stuff out either...

The reason I have been asking about the Docs here in LV is for the very same reason many have mentioned -- staying close to home, care for complications, etc. Dr. Umbach seems to have a relatively reasonable self-pay price, especially for here in LV, but it's been hard to get an appointment with their office. Also, because the boards do tend to focus on MX docs (which is totally understandable), it is hard to do independent research on in-states sleeve surgeons. This, I believe, is a major drawback to staying here in the US, as the only information you can find generally comes directly from the stateside doctors own office... how might you find out about issues that might have come up, or other concerns, about real patients... if you can't do independent research? I'm doing my best, and hoping what I find is helpful.

I'm almost at the point of going back to MX for my sleeve (background: had a band in 05, leak in 08, removal 09, hoped for a sleeve, but could do revision during band removal, gaining back all my weight now). :party4::thumbdown:

Anyone else know ANYTHING about Las Vegas sleeve surgeons? I'm all ears...

I would have done the surgery here. I found a well qualified surgeon in my area. It came down to $. ~~$18,000.00 VS $5,500.00. I am blonde, but, I can do math.

I would have done it here for $10,000.00. Just so you know my price.lol

Yes I took a chance. I came out fine. lucky me.

I have nothing bad to say about US surgeons. It was just a matter of cost as I am self pay.

I have made this comment before but, I am going to post it again. When obesity in a KNOWN cause of so much additional health care costs, WHy won't the insurance companies get on board with VSG? It would substantially reduce costs in the future.

(Leaving out the personal future benefits) I do not get it. There are so many cost benefits to covering this surgery, that far out weigh the down side. (initial cost) Where are the number crunchers? They need to wake up. Obesity is a National epidemic. It is not going to go away on its own.

OKay I am sorry for the rant. But, I do feel better, thanks for letting me vent. again.

youknowit: there is a super moderator here goes by Vegas Angel. Go into the members tab and look her up. She is in Vegas, and seems to have the "scoop" on alot of Dr. there. OR, she can guide you on how to research them locally. I am going to contact her when I need the "tummy tuck" as she knows a really good surgeon and has offered (tongue-in-cheek) to see about a group discount.lol

I believe you are wise to get one locally since you have already had complications. I just want to ask, will your insurance pay for complications after "elective" surgery? Mine would, hence my decision to go to Mexico. I figured if anything went wrong I could get fixed on my insurance here at home. If you come to that conclusion, research Dr. Aceves. VegasAngel can help you there too. I cannot reccomend my Dr. at this time. I hope I can in the very near future. Anyway, Good luck with your search. Keep me posted!

From my experience. I tried calling their office and never got a response. Ding, ding. That doesn't bode well for me.

#2 We have another member who had him do her surgery and was not informed until AFTER that she was his first VSG ever. That was not honest.

That is what I know of this surgeon.

I also went to the seminar with the group that works out of UMC. I liked them but they didn't have a lot of experience with the sleeve. I was eager to have the surgery done and they estimated the self-pay to be $21,000 - $24,000. I just could not do that immediately.

Rosebud,

Thank you so, so much for your insights. I must say, the amount of SLEEVE experience is ultimately VERY important to me, and should be to all patients. I was finally able to find out the pricing from Dr. Umbach's office, and I must say, it is very competitive... but then I asked myself, how is that? I asked for a breakdown of the fees, they told me how much goes to the surgeon, how much to the hospital. This made me wonder, who provides the staples - surgeon's office, or hospital. I am very aware, from extensive research, that the staples are rather expensive. So, then I'm wondering more about that part. I don't know the answer at this time. I have tried emailing/calling with them as well, and have still not been able to set up a consultation appointment. I told them in email I would pay for office consult, if necessary. Going to one of the "info" meeting won't do anything for me... I could probably run the meeting myself... What I want to ask about are very specific things that most newbies who are seeking weight loss surgery might not know or want to ask... I want to know everything I can, up front. Period. That's why I have turned to the boards here, medical journals, the ASBS, etc. I am a researcher by nature, and somewhat by trade, so knowing everything I can, to make an educated decision, is very important to me (and should be to everyone). I would have been SO pissed, beyond belief, to find out I was someone's "first sleeve" surgery... Knowing that in advance would be one thing, finding out after, a WHOLE other ball of wax. Wow. That's the most surprising part of your post... whoa.:tongue_smilie::confused::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

From my experience. I tried calling their office and never got a response. Ding, ding. That doesn't bode well for me.

#2 We have another member who had him do her surgery and was not informed until AFTER that she was his first VSG ever. That was not honest.

That is what I know of this surgeon.

I also went to the seminar with the group that works out of UMC. I liked them but they didn't have a lot of experience with the sleeve. I was eager to have the surgery done and they estimated the self-pay to be $21,000 - $24,000. I just could not do that immediately.

Hi Youknow I, suggest you contact Medical Tourism Corporation (MTC), they can get you in touch with his past Sleeve clients. Also you can consider viewing his CV & video interview on their site link Dr. Thomas Walter Umbach, Center of Excellence - Bariatric Weight Loss Surgeon, performs Gastric Lap Band, Sleeve Resection & Rose procedure in Las Vegas(Henderson), NV USA

For fast communication/replies suggest to contact MTC, as they facilitate his patients trip & communication.

Wish you the very best.

:thumbup1:

Hello all. I am in Las Vegas and am trying to do research on Dr. Tom Umbach here in LV. He is one of the newer (a few years) bariatric docs here in town. Background on me: banded in 2005, leak in band 2008, band removed (hoping to revise to sleeve at same time) March 2009, was not able to revise. Looking at getting the sleeve at this point.

Any thoughts? :wink0:

Youknowit - Have you had any luck? My friend and I are going down in 3 weeks to be sleeved by Dr. Umbach. I've been very impressed by our research of him and his background.

Youknowit - Have you had any luck? My friend and I are going down in 3 weeks to be sleeved by Dr. Umbach. I've been very impressed by our research of him and his background.

My research has yielded mixed information. I do know that he has done very few sleeves, but has done many lap bands. Are you getting a sleeve or the band? How much are they charging you, total, and how long will you be here in Vegas?

Best of luck... the weather here has been great lately. :001_smile: