Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

more than a 3 week stall? anyone?? please HELP

ALOHA EVERYONE!! Okay I was sleeved on October 8th 2009....I was losing weight on a steady pace....then once I hit a lost of about 30 pounds....it just STOPPED :huh0:. I know I have heard of the stall occuring for about 1-2 weeks....but 3 weeks now? Is this normal....I am hoping that I didn't have this surgery done to only lose 30 pounds....and on top of that I have gained about 2 pounds.....what is going on?? someone please help...I am getting so discouraged now :(

Okalani -

Aloha. Did you happen to take your measurements before your surgery and have you taken them since your surgery? Even though your scale may not be moving, my guess is that the inches are melting off ... also, have you started on mushies or solids? It might be that your body is adjusting to the change between liquids and solid foods ... hang in there; or if you're really concerned, do the 5 day pouch test and see if that puts you back on track.

I had surgery a week after you and am having the same experience. I have been stalled for the past week and am actually up a pound. I also have about a 30 pound loss total (including pre-op). I'm trying to be patient because with the small amount of food I am eating it seems like eventually the scale has to start moving again.

It WILL move again -- just be patient! This is not a sprint, but rather a marathon - the weight will come off! Have faith! Continue to work the plan and exercise (walk) as much as you can.

I went on a stall that lasted longer than 3 weeks. It was frustrating. I knew that the scale had no choice but to move because my portions were so tiny.

It takes the body awhile to decide to give up anymore weight after losing. It wants to get used to the new weight for awhile.

Just keep eating right and exercising. It's so temping to say I am just going to eat (some bad food) because I am not losing anyway. Just keep eating lower fat higher Protein foods and avoid white carbs-noodles rice, etc. and you will lose again.

Just put the scale away in a closet! sheesh...how can you not lose weight? I mean, with the portions you can have post-sleeve......unless you're just drinking pure carbs and fats you simply have to lose weight.

Eat right..and forget the scale.

Tracy

I had my surgery on 10/09/09 and I had my 6 week follow up with my surgeon yesterday and he told me it is totally normal. He said that since we are losing so fast we are losing muscle first. The fat is then converted to muscle, but in the meantime you lose inches like crazy. Take a pair of pants that fit you super tight today and try them on again next week. I bet they fit you then .... be patient, I am :-)

aloha to kiki....you were sleeved on the 9th...my dr. is dr. belzberg so I'm thinking we must've been in the hospital at the same time lol what a small world....I guess we will just have to continue being patient

Hey guys, I just skipped the stall thing and gained a pound this week... rrggg.. frustrating.. but my guess is that I overindulged with Holiday stuff... working hard to get the sugar cravings out of my system again but HARD..... thanks for the posts about the stalling.. good to remind ourselves to measure!!

trying too hard can also trigger a stall.

i can't remember exactly how much,

but taking less than 1000-something calories/day will trigger "starving-mode",

resulting in not burning any fat anymore.

this can continue if the needed calories are not taken.