Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Detection and cause of abscess's

I have now read a second post involving abscess's in or near the stomach and with each followed by the detection of a leak. If anyone here has medical knowledge about what causes abscesses, (why they form), what are the signs... sort of pain does the patient feel, if it is always accompanied by fever, and if there is a time period after surgery when one would no longer need worry of abscessing leading to leakage...also if abscessed is a leak inevitable? I would appreciate any and all information possible since I have been experiencing minor intermittent pain on the right side of stomach/abdominal area and nearly every morning when I rinse after brushing my teeth I gag, over salivate and dry heave, very distressing and my appetite is down. Thanks.

With my leak repair surgery on June 5th, I had 3 abscesses found on July 13th. So, about 6 weeks post-op is when they were discovered.

I had some discomfort, and a sense of urgency to urinate on July 9th. I had a f/u appointment with my surgeon that day so they ran a urinalysis, and it was positive for bacteria infection. I was given Levaquin, and increase my Fluid intake.

By Sunday, I was in excruciating pain. My abdomen was disstended, and I could barely get out of bed. I never had a fever. Probably because I was the antibiotic for the bladder infection.

My surgeon explained that sometimes during the leak repair small particles of bacteria can be left behind. They flushed my abdominal cavity for over an hour to prevent any further infection. I was also on 2 different types of antibiotics post-op from the leak repair.

My body was just so worn out, and my immune system could not fight off any more infection. I was hospitalized for 7 days. Had 2 drains placed, was on iv antibiotics, and heavy fluids. I went home on 3 antibiotics initially for a week then dropped down to 2 for another 2 weeks. The drains stayed in for 2-3 weeks.

I had zero symptoms before the urinary issues started. I never threw up, I was never febrile, and had no pain.

The surgeon ordered a CT scan to rule out another leak, and that is when the abscesses were found.

Once again Tiffany I am astounded by what you have been through and yet your attitude is so positive and beautiful. I remain full of fear, anxiety and depression. I asked about the abscess detection because I wonder when and/or if there will come a time when I can feel confident that I'm safe. This surgery is riskier than I'd originally believed it to be. It's so great that you are past all of the complications you've suffered. Thanks again.

I remain full of fear, anxiety and depression. I asked about the abscess detection because I wonder when and/or if there will come a time when I can feel confident that I'm safe.

All I can say is GET A GRIP!

You are a worry wart! You can make your own weather...and it seems you might be as you worry about everything.

I dont know how far out you are from being sleeved however I am now 4.5 months out and I do not worry about that. I still throw up (eating to fast or too much)

Just take it one day at a time and try to NOT worry about tomorrow as well as live in today. Would seem to help you.

I remain full of fear, anxiety and depression. I asked about the abscess detection because I wonder when and/or if there will come a time when I can feel confident that I'm safe.

All I can say is GET A GRIP!

You are a worry wart! You can make your own weather...and it seems you might be as you worry about everything.

I dont know how far out you are from being sleeved however I am now 4.5 months out and I do not worry about that. I still throw up (eating to fast or too much)

Just take it one day at a time and try to NOT worry about tomorrow as well as live in today. Would seem to help you.

I'm 2.5 months out and I'm trying very hard to live in the moment. That said I'm in therapy with a psychologist who specializes in WLS patients. I suffered effects of extreme anxiety since day one out of surgery which was a side effect from a nausea medicine Reglan administered round the clock intravenously for 5 days, and then in pill form at home. I was put on anti-anxiety meds since, in order to function. You are right when you say: Just take it one day at a time and try to NOT worry about tomorrow as well as live in today. Would seem to help you.

If I can master that I agree it would help me. That is what I am working on. Thank you so much.

Is it possible to keep the harshness to a minimum and be aware that this forum is about SUPPORT, not name-calling?

Tracy, you know I adore you, but I have to agree with Bearded. Support doesn't always come in forms of rainbows and daisies. Unfortunately, sometimes blunt, or even harsh words/advice are needed.

I know this process has been difficult for Lan, and I wish I could help her more. But, really her battles lie within herself, and she is going to have to "get a grip" on it so she can be happy and successful.

With the largest smile I can muster I will say.....we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Unless you've walked in the shoes of someone who is suffering from extreme anxiety and depression, I don't think you can decide what is being a "worrywart" and what is based in that mental and emotional distress. Lan2K is clearly aware of her issues and is seeking professional help for it. Being called names in a place she has come for support and answers is not helpful.

Lan2K's responses have been beyond gracious.

I could learn alot from her I'm sure,....AS COULD MANY OTHERS!

Any further responses from me on this matter will be in private message only as it would only bring a negative energy that is totally unneeded.

Tracy

I actually agree with everyone. But we do have to understand that everyone's coping mechanisms are different. As a nurse that has worked with individuals with OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. It is a really frustrating job because it seems anxiety or depression should be very easy to get over!But people that are diagnosed and suffer with those problems are really hurting and just like Diabetes, its a true illness.

Lan, we are here to support you no matter what! I dont think anyone means any harm (especially bearded or Tiffy) they are sweethearts!

Hang in there Lan!

Hi LAN2k-

No one else can know just how much pain you have. I had some pain/tenderness at the lowest incision point for about 2.5 months. But it wasn't very much. Everyone is different.

People have different stomach sensitivities. Some people throw up easily - even certain smells are enough to induce vomiting Other people never vomit.

What does your surgeon have to say about your symptoms? Since you are 2.5 months post surgery, perhaps it would be about time to have a post-op check-up and address your questions with the surgeon. Make sure he/she examines the area of pain with the hands.

Best wishes,

OK---Since I started this firestorm let me end it.

First I did NOT realize the situations you have been put in Lan, I have not read alot of your other posts. Having suffered from anxiety as well as depression I understand how hard it is to "stay into today". I apologize I did not mean it as harsh as it reads.....I applaud you for seeking help. I did and I have gotten better. So keep pushing through you can and WILL make it.

Just look for the good and do not look toward bad or to the past...TRY to live in the now.

With that I am out! Thank you

I want you to know that I did not take offense from your original post. I have been nothing but a "worrywart" since I awoke from the surgery. Some anxiety and worry I'm pretty sure would be normal, but mine was extreme and terrifying literally (I now know it had to be an effect of the Reglan). Since I continued to take it at least another 7 weeks out from surgery (at home)...the anxiety did not let up unless I was on xanax which was a quick and temporary fix and when it wore off the anxiety came back with a vengeance. My mind raced uncontrollably with morbid and depressing thoughts, not only of what may go wrong but I saw life as fleeting, all life it was as though there was no point because everything will eventually cycle out. My heart was so heavy. My medication was switched to Klonopin a longer lasting anti anxiety and then before bed, a Trazodone, a non addictive medication with appetite stimulating, anti depressant, and sedative properties. The psychiatrist tried me on Wellbutrin but within the first 2 days my appetite dropped and I could hardly eat, and my anxiety rose. I'm sticking with the Klonopin and Trazadone for now and although I feel somewhat sedated most of the time I am able to eat and the anxiety even the depressive thinking is beginning to lift. Your advise is well taken and maybe now I can work on staying in the moment and seeing the good in and around me. Your apology is accepted although I did not initially feel you were out to offend me, I could see the good in your message. Many others around me have been telling me the same thing. Thank you for coming back and further acknowledging my condition.

Lisann,

Glad the Trazadone is working for you, I thought it might. I dont know why anyone would suggest Wellbutrin though and I'm not surprised it didnt have a good effect. It is an activating anti depressant which is hardly what you need right now. I have to mention though that the effect of Reglan is usually very short lived and should be well out of your system by now ( unless there is something about when you have been on it for as long as you have that would change that, I dont know) I am just wondering, did you have a history of depression or anxiety before surgery? I think it is really good you are working with professionals. Things will improve, it sounds like they already are.

In general,something for us all to keep in mind is the fact that serotonin which is one of our main feel good neurotransmitters, is mainly produced in the stomach not the brain. I never see much literature on it but I am sure that the removal of a major portion of the belly must wreck some havoc on that system of the body until things adjust and the body compensates. Anyone have any further info on this? I just put it out there because I think its important we all recognize that some depression, anxiety, whack feelings in general are going to happen and that it is perfectly normal and expected. It wont make it better in the moment, but at least it can help us get through the moment knowing it will pass.

Lisann,

Glad the Trazadone is working for you, I thought it might. I dont know why anyone would suggest Wellbutrin though and I'm not surprised it didnt have a good effect. It is an activating anti depressant which is hardly what you need right now. I have to mention though that the effect of Reglan is usually very short lived and should be well out of your system by now ( unless there is something about when you have been on it for as long as you have that would change that, I dont know) I am just wondering, did you have a history of depression or anxiety before surgery? I think it is really good you are working with professionals. Things will improve, it sounds like they already are.

In general,something for us all to keep in mind is the fact that serotonin which is one of our main feel good neurotransmitters, is mainly produced in the stomach not the brain. I never see much literature on it but I am sure that the removal of a major portion of the belly must wreck some havoc on that system of the body until things adjust and the body compensates. Anyone have any further info on this? I just put it out there because I think its important we all recognize that some depression, anxiety, whack feelings in general are going to happen and that it is perfectly normal and expected. It wont make it better in the moment, but at least it can help us get through the moment knowing it will pass.

I did not know that serotonin was/is mainly produced in the stomach but it seems logical to me after undergoing this surgery. In the past I've had acute periods of anxiety that were due to acute situations that once resolved the anxiety left. I never was clinically diagnosed with depression although I've had short periods of time where I was somewhat depressed but was able to function. I would be interested to know what an "activating anti depressant" actually functionally means...and, which of all the SSRI's might be best suited for me. I did try a couple in the past "effexor" zoloft, and I think paxil but within 2 days I just couldn't take what I felt like...very weird, strange thinking and almost like a stranger to myself so I quit trying. I'm wondering if I can just stay with what I am taking now and eventually be weaned off of each. Your knowledge is very much appreciated and has already helped my state of being improve. Thank you.

Hi LAN2k-

No one else can know just how much pain you have. I had some pain/tenderness at the lowest incision point for about 2.5 months. But it wasn't very much. Everyone is different.

People have different stomach sensitivities. Some people throw up easily - even certain smells are enough to induce vomiting Other people never vomit.

What does your surgeon have to say about your symptoms? Since you are 2.5 months post surgery, perhaps it would be about time to have a post-op check-up and address your questions with the surgeon. Make sure he/she examines the area of pain with the hands.

Best wishes,

My pain near my belly was intermittent and has seemed to go away. I will be seeing my surgeon for another post op visit and ask questions and I'm sure he will examine me by touching the sensitive areas. Thank you for offering some advise. Best wishes to you too.