Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved in January! SO many questions! PLEASE HELP!

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and I have so many questions! I've been going over the forum for weeks and weeks, and it's been a great help, but I decided to join to get some of my own fears and concerns answered! I am getting sleeved January 5th by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.

*I've been over-weight my whole life! Like....since 1st grade, it's been a lifetime battle. I was in weight watchers at age 10! I can't tell you how bad that sucks!!!!! Nothing has ever worked for me. I have never been able to stick to a diet for more than a few months. And I have always been the "fat girl". Will I be able to stick to this? Does it really help you stop feeling hungry? So much of my hunger is "head hunger", I just want taste, will this surgery help me over-come that knowing that I can't eat like I used to?

*I'm also a vegetarian. I was raised vegetarian, and have no tolerance for meat. Can anyone suggest good foods for vegetarians that will help me lose? I eat waaaaay too many carbs! I'm really scared I won't lose because my love of carbs!!! Any suggestions?

*How long do you stay full on such a small food intake??? I eat SOOO often now, every couple hours! Food controls my life, I want to break this cycle.

I'm a self pay patient and I'm terrified that this won't work for me. Can anyone help???

Hi! I'm new to the forum, and I have so many questions! I've been going over the forum for weeks and weeks, and it's been a great help, but I decided to join to get some of my own fears and concerns answered! I am getting sleeved January 5th by Dr. Aceves in Mexicali.

*I've been over-weight my whole life! Like....since 1st grade, it's been a lifetime battle. I was in weight watchers at age 10! I can't tell you how bad that sucks!!!!! Nothing has ever worked for me. I have never been able to stick to a diet for more than a few months. And I have always been the "fat girl". Will I be able to stick to this? Does it really help you stop feeling hungry? So much of my hunger is "head hunger", I just want taste, will this surgery help me over-come that knowing that I can't eat like I used to?

*I'm also a vegetarian. I was raised vegetarian, and have no tolerance for meat. Can anyone suggest good foods for vegetarians that will help me lose? I eat waaaaay too many carbs! I'm really scared I won't lose because my love of carbs!!! Any suggestions?

*How long do you stay full on such a small food intake??? I eat SOOO often now, every couple hours! food controls my life, I want to break this cycle.

I'm a self pay patient and I'm terrified that this won't work for me. Can anyone help???

Hi Megan, and congrats on making the decision to change your life for the better with this wonderful surgery.

As for the vegetarian diet, I have a dear friend who is vegan, and she suggested using tempeh, and seitan for Protein instead of meat. I never did get around to trying any of the recipes, but I posted a thread on here that I can forward to you with a lot of different recipes that you'll be able to use once you get to the mushy and soft solid diet.

If you have head hunger issues, I highly suggest that you seek out a therapist or counselor that is experienced in food addictions, and diet management. None of the surgeries will cure your head hunger completely. Will the sleeve help control your actual hunger? Yes, but if you just want to eat to eat then you will not be as successful as you could be. The sleeve does indeed help with Portion Control because if you overeat, you will regret it. You will feel discomfort, sometimes pain, and vomiting can occur if you constantly overdue it.

I am very rarely hungry. With that said, I have to actually have a reminder on my IPhone go off so I can remember to eat. I ate about 3/4 of a beef eggroll with soy sauce around 3pm this afternoon, here it is 7:45pm, and I have zero appetite. But, I know that I need to eat something for dinner. Food is simply fuel for my body now. I was a volume eater, and could eat A LOT. Now, I simply eat because I have to, and not because I'm bored, or stressed.

No one can answer the question " can I stick with this?" for you, that has to be your decision. The sleeve is nothing more than a tool to help you succeed. You have to be willing to sacrifice a little in the beginning, and know that the weight will come off if you're willing to follow your surgeon's post op diet, and overhaul your entire relationship with food. For me, I truly do not feel like I'm on a diet constantly. I eat less than my 11 yr old son (who is lean, petite, and muscular), but the best part of it is that I am satisfied with very little portions now. I eat anything and everything that I choose.

I wish you the very best in your journey, and you'll be a success. You just have to put your "best foot forward", and get mentally, emotionally, and physically prepared for this life-changing event.

Megan, welcome to this forum! I am excited for you on your journey to good health. I am getting sleeved by Dr. Aceves Dec. 4 and I have the utmost faith in his and his staffs skills. I cannot address your concerns about being a vegetarian but there are so many wonderful sharing people on this forum that will try to help you that you put it out there and they will get you the answer. We are all here for you..

Megan - WELCOME to VST ... I think Tiffy did a great job in answering all your questions. You will absolutely LOVE Dr. Aceves and his staff. Keep us posted on your progress!

Megan,

You are going to love Dr. Aceves and his staff. They are wonderful.

I used to love carbs too. After my surgery, I have no desire to eat anything sweet tasting. I have taken a couple of bites of candy or a cookie and it really makes me feel sick. I do like a little fruit or one or two bites of Pasta sometimes.

You can find lots of veg. cookbooks out there to help you out.

I think that you are going to be pleased with the sleeve. I already feel so much better and more in control.

Keep us updated on your progress. We are here to help you.

Megan, I just wanted to pop in and welcome you to the forums! We are happy to have you join us.

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement! I'm trying to do meal planning, to figure out how to get 80g of Protein into 800 calories/day. Thank you so much for answering some of my concerns tiff! I have a few more for everyone...

Can anyone recommend some good Protein shakes?

How long do you usually stay full after you eat? How is this compared to before the sleeve?

thank you for support!

Megan, I can't comment on the Protein Shakes, unfortunately. I never found one I liked. As for how long do I stay full after I eat, I can honestly say I don't get hungry. I get head hunger sometimes, but not the real, physical hunger. I eat because I know it is lunch time and I am supposed to, or dinner, etc. It is wonderful to not be hungry 24/7.

I like RTD 51 and Oh Yeah shakes. I still use Isopure by pouring it over shaved ice and adding a crystal light powder packet to it.

I have never been hungry since surgery. I eat 3 meals a day (usually 1/2 cup of Soup or 1 sf pudding and a tablespoon of cottage sheese or applesauce). That is all I need to fill me up. I do not think about food 24/7 like I used to. I am only 24 days out right now but it is the best thing that I have ever done for myself and I do not understand why anyone would try the band when the sleeve is available.

wow! ijust can't imagine a world without hunger! i love food so much. i hope i can get to that point. i just never ever feel full....my stomach controls me! i'm excited to get control of my life!

susan....how was it for you doing dr aceves's pre-op diet. i'm a vegetarian so i'm kind of worried. i plan on mostly eating eggs, plain yogurt, cottage cheese, regular cheese and some shrimp....although i hate fish!

so many doctors recomend different things before surgery. it's really confusing. i'm worried my liver will fail the test!!!

SOOOOO much to worry about!

Megan, I am so excited for you! This is going to be a wonderful journey you will love being on. I like nectar Fuzzy Navel, zero carbs, 90 cals, and 23 gms of Protein. However, right after surgery, my stomach was extra sensitive to any artificial sweetners, so the protein Soups worked well and I drank milk. You will be fine if you can eat dairy, soy, whey, because that is what most of the shakes are made from.

Megan -

I would recommend you order samples of a variety of Protein drinks as you may not like or be able to tolerate the same things as others -- me, I can't tolerate any of them - they're all too thick and too sweet or taste too protein-y. I also am extremely lactose intolerant since surgery and have to be very careful what I drink. The OhYeah Protein Drink is lactose free and it doesn't seem to be too thick, so I have a few of them I drink every now and again.

Dr. Aceves pre-op diet was very easy to follow - high Protein, low carb. Be sure to drink LOTS of fluids, too. I ate lots of eggs and cheese and veggies. I also ate chicken and veggie burgers - the veggie burgers are really good and high in protein. Being vegetarian shouldn't hinder you on the pre-op diet.

Megan,

I was sleeved this past January. It's the end of November and I'm down 105 lbs. Just think, you can be down more than 100 pounds by next Thanksgiving!! Anyway, my two cents here: If you have a Trader Joes nearby, I like the World Wide Pure Protein Shakes. The Frosty chocolate has 35 grams of Protein in an 11 oz can.

Unlike a few others, I do actually feel hungry, but absolutely nothing like before surgery or even your average person. I know what you mean by being hungry every few hours. I too felt the same way before the sleeve. My first diet was at age 12, so I understand where you're coming from. The thing is with the sleeve, you just have to understand that about 80% of your stomach will be gone. It's not a comfortable feeling to be "full." So you train yourself you stop before that point. You'll overeat at times, and learn your lesson. I think it's safe to say we all have to learn that lesson oursleves.

You WILL lose weight, you WILL be able to eat small portions, you WON'T go on with life feeling unsatisfied. You WON'T be the exception. It's hard to convince people, even when I'm out with them, that yes, I am full; yes that's all I can eat.

Then amazing things will happen, like constantly cleaning out your closet. Fitting into clothes you haven't for years and then having to give them away because you're too small for them. If you buy into the whole program, as tiffy said, this is just an avenue and a tool to see what you will do to make yourself healthier....and yes, thinner. I was compliant with my doctor's plan, and starting exercising (walking) immediately. Then I added lots of other forms of exercise, and it took 8 to 9 months to actually ENJOY exercise, but I really do now! Me? Enjoy exercise? Haven't you always wanted to move around better, take those stairs, climb that hill, hike those trails?

Remember to enjoy your weight loss journey. Also, a heads up to NOT GET DISCOURAGED when you hit those plateaus. They will happen folks, and guess what? You'll lose more weight.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a healthy 2010.

Hi Megan-

First I'd like to say welcome!! And Congratulations on your decision to get healthy! The sleeve saved my life and gave me a whole new one!!

To answer one of your questions- I was a volume eater- and NEVER felt full! Could eat all the time- now with the sleeve- I can't eat too much. I DO get full now! And if I eat tooo much it is an uncomfortable feeling- just one bite too many can put me over- so I have learned to slow down eating ( I use to inhale my food tooo )

It is a "learning" process- but you can do it!

Congratulations again on your decion, and if you have any more questions- Just post away!!!