Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to those of you who had gall bladder surgery

I am surprised I am in much more pain today than yesterday

and the day before which was surgery day.

How long did you take to recover? This is way more painful than band surgery or sleeve surgery.

Also, the stupid hospital did not tell me if I am supposed to watch what I eat over the next few days or even down the road. I've just been eating a soft diet and I am getting alarmed since I haven't had a bowl movement since Sunday. I have taken stool softners and Miralax since I got home from the hospital and bought some milk

of mag today.

Daisy, My GB surgery was on 11/2/09. I took my pain meds religiously for the first three days. Day 4 I went to 1/2 pills and day 5 was tylenol and 1/4 pill twice during the day. I had it on a Monday so I was able to just relax for those 5 days and do nothing. On Saturday I did more and on Sunday I went out twice. Back to work on Monday.

The only thing my doctor told me was to eat low fat for the rest of my life. The first surgeon that I saw told me to eat very low fat or risk permanent diahreah. I paid heed to that. I lived in scrambled eggs and sprouted grain toast the first week with a little non fat yogurt. When I tried to eat other things I had the runs immediately. Three weeks out and I can eat anything with no distress. On day 18 I saw my surgeon and he said I'm good to go for anything in the gym, just to pay attention and be careful.

I hope you start feeling better. Please remember that I haven't had WLS yet so everything I'm saying might be different for your body.

I've missed this, sorry you had to have this done OD. Hope you recover quickly.

Do you think this might solve those lactose issues you'd been having?

Could be. I have had symtoms for awhile but was trying to hold off til January since I have $1,000 deductible.

The pain meds have been making me itch like crazy but I got medication for that today. Benadryl was not helping so I got a prescription today. The pain meds have made a big difference.

I am surprised I am in much more pain today than yesterday

and the day before which was surgery day.

How long did you take to recover? This is way more painful than band surgery or sleeve surgery.

Also, the stupid hospital did not tell me if I am supposed to watch what I eat over the next few days or even down the road. I've just been eating a soft diet and I am getting alarmed since I haven't had a bowl movement since Sunday. I have taken stool softners and Miralax since I got home from the hospital and bought some milk

of mag today.

Caution...TMI for some...

It was more painful that VSG surgery for me too. I had mine about 10 years ago, and it was a lap surgery...but I do remember walking bent over, and being sore for a couple of weeks after the cholycystectomy.

I also had diarrhea when I ate any fats, for quite some time after the choly. Over the years, I have noticed it less often as time went on, unless I really overindulged.

Now since I have had my VSG, I have NOT had ANY of the diarrhea after eating fats, like I had before the surgery. In fact I tend to be constipated, maybe because of the other dietary changes (hi Protein, little carbs/veggies/fruits). Once I am past 6 months post-vsg, and am eating more veggies and fruits, maybe my bowel habits will change again. I don't like this Constipation one bit. Am getting hemorrhoids. Even with taking miralax and keeping my stools soft. :)

I hope all of this evens itself out soon. I took too much stuff to try to make myself go, and I paid for that.

I would like to find a happy medium.

I hope all of this evens itself out soon. I took too much stuff to try to make myself go, and I paid for that.

I would like to find a happy medium.

It will get better. One advantage of the situation is when you feel you are getting constipated, you can just correct it easily with food having a little fat in it! I used that to my advantage over the past 10 years!

Cajun, I never thought of that, having a little fat as a starter. You're very clever.

How are you doing Daisy?

My gall bladder recovery was very painful for me also. I was on RX pain meds for two weeks. Then Tylenol for another 2. I had a slow recovery. Much slower than VSG. I think the reason was: my gall bladder was emergency surgery, due to gall stone stuck in the duct and infected. I was on antibiotics for a 21 day treatment. I was constipated from the antibiotics. Eat greek yogurt. Benefiber. Other food I was told to eat: salad with Low fat dressings, bran muffins and stewed prunes. (OK TMI warning here) When the antibiotics stopped, wow, did I find out in a hurry that I did not need the prunes anymore! What a swinging pendulum ride that whole deal was. And painful to boot. Took me about 2 months to get back to "normal". Hang in there, this will pass. pun intended, LOl

Edited by carolyn24seven
spelling

I'm using glycerine suppositories for when I feel a little "bunged" up. Very helpful and very inexpensive way to help move things along.

Hope this helps,

Donna

Yea, I have been eating a lot of Greek yougurt because I am not sure what I am supposed to eat.

I've been sneezing a lot the past couple of days. Man is that painful!

Daisy, I wonder if you're sneezing from the dairy in the greek yogurt? I ate a lot of that after GB surgery as well. The only thing my surgeon told me was to eat low fat.

I'm sorry you're sneezing!

Sorry Oregon you are having some painful issues post op.. Hope you feel better soon! I am definitely listening to all the Constipation issues. I do not like what this Protein diet is doing to my regularity. Nothing is moving w/o help! You need to stop sneezing..lol

yeah, I am trying to keep regular

so I don't have to go through what I went through last time. That is definitely something I don't want to repeat. It's been a lot trickier to keep things right since sleeve surgery and all the Protein. I have heard from a lot of people that after you have gall bladder surgery, things loosen up quite a bit, so to speak.