Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be worried?

My surgeon has offered no special diet instructions for my upcoming VSG. Should I be worried or concerned about this? I am counting calories, just because I have made my mind up for a lifestyle change, but still... :biggrin0:

Are you talking about the pre-surgery diet or post-surgery diet? Pre-surgery I would try to limit to 30 grams of carbs and eat all the lean Protein you want. The purpose is to shrink the fat out of the liver not to lose weight.

After surgery, I would be concerned if your surgeon does not give you a diet to follow as in total grams of Protein to shoot for daily and a schedule of when you can add things to clear liquid diet. My doctor requires a minium of 10 days on each phase-clear liquid, full liquids, soft foods.

Day 1 thru 5 ( Clear Liquids Only )

fruit juice ( apple, grape, cranberry )

Propel

broth

Jello-O

Water

Tea

Protein Water by Kellogg’s

Water popsicles

Clear Protein drinks only ( example Isopure, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury )

Day 6-10 ( thin liquids )

All of the above and:

Natural Vegetable Juices ( example Carrot, V-8 juice )

Protein drinks mixed with water ( example Matrix )

whey nectar Protein Mix

Day 11 thru 20 ( full liquids )

Cream Soups

Yogurt

Jello-O

Boiled pureed fruit ( example apple, pear) applesauce

Watermelon, papaya or melon in small pieces

Low fat milk 1 or 2%

Water, Propel, tea

Soy beverages

sugar free pudding

Protein shakes and protein powders mixed with milk

Day 21 thru 30 ( soft food )

Soft food should be the consistency of a thick liquid ( no chunks or solid material ) and it should be chewed very well before swallowing until it is a liquid consistency

Tofu

Low fat cottage cheese

Cereal

oatmeal

Precooked pureed rice

Low fat Yogurt

Yogurt mixed with fruit very well blended

Cream soups

eggs

Boiled pureed fruit ( example pear, apple )

Watermelon, papaya or melon in small pieces

Boiled pureed vegetables

Beans

Day 31st and beyond ( solid food )

Fish,

Chiken

meat

Turkey

Vegetables

Fruit

I would be concerned if you are not getting information on nutrition. Each bariatric program should have a nutritionist who works with you. It is such a different way of life and you need the support they offer. The diet program seems to vary a lot. The program I was given was two weeks liquid, two weeks pureed, two months soft - and starting three months out a regular diet. It also consisted of two Protein Drinks daily through the third month as well as two servings of fruit (juice is fine) and vegetables and two servings of milk a day. These are goals, it's actually very hard to get everything in. Did your doctor talk to you about Vitamins. You will need vitamins for life. optisource bariatric vitamins at Walgreens have just about everything you need. The other supplement you might need is potassium. Ask your doctor what he recommends. Good luck.

Vitamins-for the sleeve all you need is a regular multiviamin. As there is no malabsorption issue with the sleeve, you will not need the bariatric supplemental Vitamins that are recommended for gastric bypass patients.

hmm noob question here....i am not taking any multivitamins...how important r they and dont we get enough of Vitamins through the daily meals?

Unless you are getting whole foods and not eating the processed to death stuff that most of us get, I don't know that we can rely totally on getting all our Vitamins from the small portions of foods we eat. I would recommend that you ask your doctor that. I know that lots of obese people are lacking enough Vitamin d. One of the purposes of the 3 month followup is to get chem profile.

Thank you SOOO much for all the awesome information! I am calling the surgeon office on Monday to discuss.

I would be concerned if you are not getting information on nutrition. Each bariatric program should have a nutritionist who works with you. It is such a different way of life and you need the support they offer. The diet program seems to vary a lot. The program I was given was two weeks liquid, two weeks pureed, two months soft - and starting three months out a regular diet. It also consisted of two Protein drinks daily through the third month as well as two servings of fruit (juice is fine) and vegetables and two servings of milk a day. These are goals, it's actually very hard to get everything in. Did your doctor talk to you about Vitamins. You will need vitamins for life. optisource bariatric vitamins at Walgreens have just about everything you need. The other supplement you might need is potassium. Ask your doctor what he recommends. Good luck.

Donedidit,

since you had a VSG, and not gastric bypass, you don't necessarily need vitamins for life. You certainly don't need potassium unless you have some wierd potassium problem. I think Jane thought you had a gastric bypass, and they may need potassium because of chronic diarrhea.

Most VSG surgeons recommend a multi Vitamin once a day when you are able to tolerate solids. If you are a "senior" like me, your doctor may recommend Calcium. I suggest you get all the recommendations from your surgeon because 'the norm' for most may not apply to you.

Well I have 8 days left until my surgery. I am 41, and have a BMI of 38. I am not taking Vitamins now, only eating low carb, high Protein. I'll see what further info I can get on Monday. So nice to have your feedback!

I take a GNC Solotron chewable multi-Vitamin twice daily. These are by far the best Multi-Vitamin I have been able to find for my needs. Plus, they taste yummy, and I don't have to swallow a horse pill. They contain bioavailable Iron which is a necessity for me since I still have all my reproductive organs, and have menstrual cycles. Sorry if that's TMI.

Anyways, I take 2 of the multi-Vitamins daily (morning and evening), and I take 1 sublingual 2500 mcg B12.< /span>

My program was very specific that even with the sleeve we were at risk for some deficiencies - especially B12 and vit D - and they wanted us to take the bariatric Vitamins. However, I happen to hate them, so I'm going to go with the majority and switch to the multi-vitamins which are much easier to tolerate. I'll see how everything looks when I get labs. As for the potassium, they also wanted us to take that because the amount of food we are eating is so small, they feel we are at risk for potassium deficiencies as well. That being said, I was one of the first sleeves, so they may be overly cautious. I'm going with the majority and doing only a Multi-Vitamin. Thanks for the input.