Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New member just joined

Hi Everyone, I am brand new to this whole Sleeve Surgery, was hoping for RNY - but due to Crohn's Disease I am not a candidate. My Dr. is willing to do Sleeve. I have done some research, but there isn't as much out there. Seems like it would be a good option. My biggest question, at least for right now is, is there anyone out there that has had the Sleeve and has Crohn's Disease? I can't find any research at all on that. I have thought about WLS for years but finally realized my life is slipping away and at 44 figured it was time to do something. Not sure when the surgery will happen, I still have to lose 20 pounds, see the Psych, then I can get scheduled. I'm out in California and just once would like to go to the beach in a bathing suit and not cringe about it. Thanks, and I have really enjoyed reading all of the threads - you all are such wonderful caring people. I'm excited to join today. Thank you - Nayna

Hello Nanya and welcome to vst. I don't know about Chrons but hopefully someone will be able to help answer your question soon.

Good luck with your journey.

Welcome Nayna! I'm sorry that I also don't know anything about chrohn's disease and the sleeve, but maybe your surgeon can provide more information for you? I personally think this is a great surgery :-) and think it has had similar results as the RNY would have had for me, but of course I'll never know. My surgeon's results show very similar results at 1 to 2 years out for both surgeries.

Good luck in your research and journey! Hopefully someone will know more.

Hi Nayna and welcome to the VST family - we're so happy you decided to join us. I think you will be very happy with the sleeve. I don't know how the sleeve will work with Crohn's disease - I know a friend of mine in HS had it and remember she had some painful episodes; however, that is about as much as I know. I hope someone has some answers for you.

Thank you all for the wonderful welcome. I am excited to be doing the surgery. I was able to talk to some people who had RNY, but haven't talked to anyone with VSG yet. I think the Crohn's will likely be secondary, my main focus is finding out how things normally progress after the surgery. From what I have read recovery is pretty quick post surg. Were most of you able to get up and walk the same day? go to the restroom on your own? shower within a couple of days of surgery? and able to care for yourself once home? I won't really have a lot of help post surg. but a friend of mine is supposed to come and stay for a few days and I have other friends that will drop by - however most that I have read suggests that after surgery you are pretty self sufficient. Thank you again for the warm welcome and going by how much weight you have all lost I am in great company to learn from. I am anxious to start my new life. Have a great day.

Hi Nayna, I had major abdominal surgery at the same time as my sleeve and I was up the next day and in the shower the day after that. Mine was open surgery so I was in hospital a bit longer but I think most people are in for about 3 days if it's laparascopic. Recovery is pretty quick anyway. Sorry I don't know anything about the sleeve and Crohn's either but as has been said your surgeon may be able to help you more there. Good luck anyway x

Thank you HelenUK, I am glad to hear recovery is so quick, the only surgery I have ever had is ankle repair from a break. You've had your sleeve for a few months, do you find yourself hungry when you shouldn't be? that is one of my fears, that the hunger that shouldn't be happening won't be gone. I know some of it is "head hunger" but I have my concerns about the hunger. I will talk with my surgeon about the Crohn's more but was hoping to run into someone who has real life experience. But maybe there will be someone in the forum that is dealing with it. Thank you so much for the welcome and the information. I am hopeful to get my weight off and be able to have my surgery after the first of the year. Your surgery seems to have been very successful and looks like the band helped quite a bit too. Best of luck.

Hello Nayna,

Welcome to VST!

I was just sleeved 2 weeks ago. Getting the sleeve is one of the best decisions I have ever made! I have lost 20lbs. in 2 weeks and a lot of other people on here have lost faster than me.

I was in the hospital for 2 nights. The same day as the surgery I was up and going to the bathroom on my own. I was able to take a shower the next morning.

Keep us updated on how you're doing. Let us know if you have any more questions. I'm a newbie, but there are a lot of people here that have had the sleeve for quite a while.

You've had your sleeve for a few months, do you find yourself hungry when you shouldn't be? that is one of my fears, that the hunger that shouldn't be happening won't be gone. I know some of it is "head hunger" but I have my concerns about the hunger.

I do get hungry at times but it's never when I shouldn't be. It happens when I haven't eaten for some time and am 'really' hungry. I can go quite a long time before that happens as well. I do get cravings occasionally but I am no longer able to binge like I used to. It all takes a while to get used to to be honest. There are a lot of people here who have had their sleeves far longer than me and will be able to better advise you. I'm still learning!

Your surgery seems to have been very successful and looks like the band helped quite a bit too. Best of luck.

Thank you. It has been and I am very grateful for having the opportunity to have the revision surgery. My band was good whilst it was working efficiently and I did lose a lot of weight with it although you will find that most people lose more and faster with the sleeve. Mine's slowed down now but that is fine as I am still losing and not gaining weight. I haven't heard anyone say that they are dissatisfied with their sleeve or regret having it done. Good luck x

I have a history of Chron's and for the most part am asymptomatic with a 2 day flare up once every few years.

I was told that the sleeve is the recommended weight loss procedure for folks with Chrons or IBS type illnesses.

Since I am so infrequently symptomatic I can't really speak to what, if any, impact it will have on the Chrons itself.

I do know that I have been healthier than I have in decades overall. I lost 135 lbs in less than a year and have easily kept if off for the past 4 months. I started with a BMI over 50. I am 54 years old, 52 at time of surgery. I have had no problems post op, and was off pain meds the day after surgery and out of the hospital 2 days after surgery.

Hope this helps.

This information is so encouraging. I have been working on watching what I eat to bring my weight down to get to my "ok for surgery" number and tonight I start at the gym here at work - hate to sound like a baby, but going to this gym for the first time is a little scary. But I can and need to do it - I can't tell you all how much your posts have helped me feel better about the sleeve. After seeing how great your stories are and what you have been able to achieve, makes me know I can do the same. Reading the thread for success stories has been so inspiring too. Phoenix thanks for the Crohn's info - was beginning to think I was the only person who didn't lose every extra ounce with their Crohn's diagnosis (most people have a hard time keeping weight on with Crohns - the side affect I didn't get - although I think I am healthier not having that side affect sometimes I was weak and wished for that side affect)Thank you all for your time and information. It is great to find a place I can talk with people with personal experience where I am planning to go. I agree HelenUk, I have not found anyone who is not happy with the sleeve.

Hi my names Kim....And I joined a gym about a month ago.......and you would not believe the results.....I have not lost any weight but I am building my muscle mass back up.... which helps burn fat faster......anyway because I am so big ...excercise is extremly painful mainly in the hips and back........well my PC sugested Water exercise. and wow I can exercise pain free for 1 and a half hours or more, I just join all the classes going on and learn my own things to do, and I can now do things I couldnt do before.....so dont be afraid of the gym just jump in the pool you will be amazed... Today I actually did a land exerciser for 12 min. without pain just keep on trucking you will get there....OH and be faithful and go at least 5 times a week... I go 6

Hi everyone

Jusr saw my surgeon to day i was going to do lapband and just heard about the sleeve ,asked my surgeon and h e said that they were in the process of soon offering the surgery but it is not yet being talked about at the classe so i was very interested and now guess what i am having it on 11/23 glad i waited very excited i was very worried about the lapband slipping and the fact of having the plastic ring any way lot to learn from all of you

cathy:thumbup1:

Kimberly, thank you for the excercise shout out. I need all the encouragement i can get. sadly the gym here at work doesn't have a pool, and I can't afford to join a gym right now - I did the tread mill and am back to doing the stairs here at work (I broke my ankle in June - which totally didn't help with weight loss) I will have to check and see if the Community College has a pool exercise class - thanks I never would have thought about that - sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work. It is so uplifting to read the posts and see people become empowered to take care of themself. Something I don't always do as I take care of others. Cathy - congrats on the go live date - 11/23 it's so close you must be thrilled. I can't wait to hear about your experience - best of luck!!

Hi Cathy and welcome to the VST family. I'm glad you were able to get the sleeve instead of the band - I didn't have the band, but there are several on here who have and most, not all, but most, don't have anything good to say about it.