Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bariatric Surgeon Dr. John Husted Somerset, Ky

I live in the Somerset Ky. area and one day I decided to call a Bariatric Center in Hazard Ky. that I saw advertised on tv. I was informed that there was a Bariatric Center in Somerset with a new doctor, Dr. John Husted and I was told that I should attend a seminar to find out more about bariatric surgery. I called the local Hospital and acquired the information on the seminar and attended. I received a packet with information about the doctor, the Bariatric Center, surgery information, and an application to fill out for Dr. Husted's office. That started me on my journey for Bariatric surgery. I received an appointment with the doctor and I really was very pleased with the visit, and afterwards I did alot of research on Dr. Husted. He has many very nice reviews and recommendations. I know everyone has there own opinions, but so far, mine are only good ones. If you want to find out more about him, he has a web page (which includes my review among many others). I have had to get over a few hurdles along the way, but I am really close. This week all my information should be submitted to the Insurance to see if I will be approved for the procedure. I am looking forward for him to do my surgery and at this point I trust him to perform the surgery. I do have some health related issues due to my obesity and for other reasons, but I have been given the OK for surgery by my Cardiologist, Lung and sleep Doctor, and Psycologist. I am going into this knowing that there are several risks with having the surgery, but I have the faith that God, Dr. Husted, the Bariatric Center, and all my other doctors have taken my best interests into consideration and that they will ALL help this to be as safe and successful for me as they possibly can. I hope this information helps someone that may be reading this, who may be considering surgery. I know that Dr. Husted does several different procedures and he will help you to decide which is the best one for your situation. Thank you for taking the time to read this!!

Edited by mountain_lover

Wishing you the best in your journey. I know it is hard waiting on insurance companies. Just hang in there and hopefully you will have good news soon. I'm looking forward to keeping up with your journey.

Hello! I also live in the Somerset area. I attended a seminar by Dr. Husted in August. I went in set on having the band, but switched to the VSG during the seminar. I was extremely impressed with Dr. Husted during the seminar and the way he explained the procedure. I got the ball rolling by sending in my patient packet and spending hours upon hours on the internet researching the band, the sleeve, and the DS. After all of this, I knew the sleeve was the procedure perfect for me. I also found out that my insurance would not cover any WLS procedure. I finally got a call 2 weeks ago from Dr. Husted's office to set up a consult appointment with Dr. Husted. I set up the appointment for the following week and was again, very impressed with Dr. Husted. I never expected to leave the office with a surgery date, but I did! I'm set for the VSG 11/20! I could have had it done a lot sooner, but I'm a teacher and I set it up right before Thanksgiving break. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!

Best of luck with your insurance approval and even greater luck with your weight loss! :tongue2:

Kteacher -welcome to the VST Family, we're happy to have another soon-to-be sleeve sister. Congratulations on your surgery date, too. Keep us posted on how you're doing - and put your surgery date on the calendar.

Hello! I also live in the Somerset area. I attended a seminar by Dr. Husted in August. I went in set on having the band, but switched to the VSG during the seminar. I was extremely impressed with Dr. Husted during the seminar and the way he explained the procedure. I got the ball rolling by sending in my patient packet and spending hours upon hours on the internet researching the band, the sleeve, and the DS. After all of this, I knew the sleeve was the procedure perfect for me. I also found out that my insurance would not cover any WLS procedure. I finally got a call 2 weeks ago from Dr. Husted's office to set up a consult appointment with Dr. Husted. I set up the appointment for the following week and was again, very impressed with Dr. Husted. I never expected to leave the office with a surgery date, but I did! I'm set for the VSG 11/20! I could have had it done a lot sooner, but I'm a teacher and I set it up right before Thanksgiving break. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time!

Best of luck with your insurance approval and even greater luck with your weight loss! :party4:

Hello Kteacher,

By now you might have had your surgery. If you have, I hope everything is going well. Did you stay with the sleeve or change your mind. I hope I can meet you at one of the support group meetings that they have every month on the second Monday of each month. I am very pleased with the surgery and with Dr. Husted. I hope to talk to you again soon. Have a great day!!

Mountain Lover,

Yes, I did have the VSG with Dr. Husted. I had it done on 11/20 and I am feeling wonderful! Surgery was a piece of cake. I took my pain medicine only twice after returning home. I think Dr. Husted is an outstanding surgeon, and I'm sure you feel the same way. I was most impressed to wake up and realize that I only had 1 incision! So far, I'm down 30 pounds, however, I've currently found that dreaded 3 week mark stall. People have already taken notice and I feel great!

How are you doing? Any problems with surgery and/or hospital staff? It was my first ever hospital stay and I didn't find it to be as awful as I thought it would be! Hope you are recovering well!

Mountain Lover,

Yes, I did have the VSG with Dr. Husted. I had it done on 11/20 and I am feeling wonderful! Surgery was a piece of cake. I took my pain medicine only twice after returning home. I think Dr. Husted is an outstanding surgeon, and I'm sure you feel the same way. I was most impressed to wake up and realize that I only had 1 incision! So far, I'm down 30 pounds, however, I've currently found that dreaded 3 week mark stall. People have already taken notice and I feel great!

How are you doing? Any problems with surgery and/or hospital staff? It was my first ever hospital stay and I didn't find it to be as awful as I thought it would be! Hope you are recovering well!

Hello kteacher,

I was doing just fine until Dec.23. I woke up with some chest pains that continued throughout that day and I could not get to sleep. I called 911 at 3:30AM on Dec.24 and had to go to the ER. I was concerned about my heart or a blood clot in my lungs. They took some blood tests and one (D-DIMAR) came back positive so they had to do a CT skan. My heart test all came back OK and there was NO blood clot in my lungs. But they did find a large Hematoma on my spleen. I had to stay in the hospital until christmas day about noon. They said it could be causing the pain in my chest area. The spleen could have been bumped and bruised during surgery, but I am going to be ok as far as I know. It will be absorbed by the body. The only time it usually causes problems is when it is infected or if it bursts inside the body. The doctor said that it doesn't appear to be infected. I had plans to leave on christmas day, to go out of state to visit family for Christmas. I ask the surgeon if it was OK to travel and he said it would be OK. So I went to visit Family and I just now arrived back home from the visit.

Other than that, I am doing Ok. I am on my three week stall or either things got messed up from me being in the hospital. Dr. Husted told me that I would only have 1 incision instead of 5. I found out that I was the 2nd patient that he had performed the one incision surgery on. You must have been his first one because you had surgery on 11/20 and I had surgery on Dec.2. I am so thankful that I only had one that had to heal. I do not regret having had the sleeve done. I am hoping that after this stall, I will get back to losing so I will be on my way to my goal weight. I hope that you had a Merry Christmas and that you are doing ok from your surgery. I only have lost 16 pounds since Dec.2. I am going to go back to the Y soon so that it will help to burn some calories. I went to the support group on Dec.14 and I hope I get to go in Jan. I hope to meet you at one of the support group meetings. I will be posting more in a few days after I rest up from my trip.

Thank you for your reply and have a nice day!!

Dr. Husted recently relocated to AZ and is my doctor. I might just be his first patient here in AZ and my surgery will be in less than two weeks. I am on the pure Protein stuff right now, anticipating the 16th or 19th of July. I would prefer the 16th. The sooner I get started, the better.