Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding after a Band to Sleeve Revision?

Hi!

I have been banded for 6 years now with absolutely no success with the lap band. I never lost weight with the band and all of the subsequent fills. The only thing I think the band do was make it harder to swallow food. I was told before getting the band that I would not be hungry.....which was DEFINITELY NOT the case. I'm physically hungry all the time. After a year of fills & trying, I had the fill removed and have been struggling with one diet after another. I basically forgot about having the band in other than the pain from the port which I can't ignore. I'm looking to have it removed and have the sleeve done during the same surgery.

I just had a baby 3 months ago and am currently breastfeeding exclusively. I'm looking to breastfeed at least until he's a year old. Has anyone had the VSG surgery done and had any problems with their milk supply due to the lower number of calories on the liquid diet? I know I will have to pump & dump for a few days after the surgery due to the anesthesia, but my doctor said that I shouldn't have any problems breastfeeding after the surgery.

I'm hoping the sleeve will be much better at helping me lose the weight and keep it off. I have to be around for my little boy & husband. I had gestational diabetes during the pregnancy and am currently pre-diabetic so getting the weight off is necessary. I'm' not sure if I should just have the band taken out and have the sleeve done at a later date or do it all now? I look forward to your reply!

AK

i was breast feeding my baby and actually had to shop feeding before going onto the preop diet.... and as for after the surgury, getting Fluid in for yourself is a battle let alone trying to get extra in for feeding!!! im now 2 mts post op and still have trouble getting all my fluids in...so....i would be careful about the decision!!!! but thats just me... good luck

I haven't had any problems yet! I just needed to eat a little more than 800 cals....... I use two extra Protein shakes made with milk or a rtd Isopure to make sure I get enough Protein and carbs to breastfeed.

I also breast fed for almost a year after my band too!

AK welcome to VST. We are very happy to have you join us. I can't answer your questions about breastfeeding, because I'm way past that stage. I also never had the band; however, I know that several here have revised from band to sleeve and have had it done all in one surgery. I am sure they will chime in on information for you with regard to this matter.

I'm not sure on the breastfeeding stuff, but I am a band to sleeve revision and had it all done in one surgery. I hope someone else chimes in on the breastfeeding issue. Could you pump before surgery and freeze a supply before surgery to get you through the clear liquid/full liquid phase of the post-op diet? If I was in your position, I think that would be an option to get you through the toughest part of the post-op diet. Once you are on mushies, you should be able to get in enough calories, and Protein to be able to supply enough breastmilk.

Good luck and keep us posted.

From what I'm seeing, it appears most people are happy with the band to sleeve revision. Since all my deductibles are currently met, I'm trying to get it done this year. I have enough breastmilk pumped & frozen for about a week, but don't want the milk to dry up. I'm hoping that with regular pumping or feeding after the surgery, I won't have a problem even with the lower calorie diet.

Anyone have any major problems with the sleeve? The band has just been completely useless to me and I was very disappointed with it. I'm currently about 242 (about 20lbs is still baby weight). I hope this is the right decision as once it is done, there is no going back. I'm always telling people at work who are talking about getting the band not to do it. However, they make their own decisions and have it done any ways. I wish someone would have told me that there is a big chance that it would not work at all and you could actually gain weight with it. If I were told it didn't take away the hunger and the band only makes it more difficult to swallow food, I would not have done it. I really hope the sleeve really does reduce hunger pains. Please let me know your thoughts. I know I can live with eating the small amounts as long as I'm not constantly hungry.

Hi

My twins are almost 7 mo old and still BF. I was sleeved last week (10/7) and have had supply issues ever since.

My doc doesn't require the preop diet so I nursed up until the surgery. Because of the anesthesia you can not nurse till the drugs leave your system. I had to pump and dump for the first 2 days after surgery. That was the worst. The pump just doesn't drain as well as two hungry babies. LOL

Since then I've had to drink almost constantly to keep my own hydration up, let alone nurse.

Thankfully I had a month worth of frozen breastmilk saved up and the girls have mostly been getting bottles. Today is the first day that it hasn't hurt my incision when they nurse... my girls refuse the football hold and will only nurse one at a time while held across my tummy.... picky babies...

Honestly I would wait till your baby is older if breastfeeding is really important to you, at least closer to weaning age. It's been hell trying to get my supply back up after only a week but I know if I need to stop tomorrow that they got 6 months of breastmilk and will do just fine on formula.

Thanks for all of the insight. I was told by the doctor that getting in enough Fluid wouldn't be a problem, however, I'm seeing that it is not easy. How much are you guys able to drink at a time?

He really said it wouldn't be a problem?! Wow. Most of us had trouble breaking the 32-40 oz mark the first week or so.

Maybe someone should sleeve him and then he'd see how easy it is. LOL

For the first few weeks, getting in enough fluids is a major challenge! I didnt' worry about getting in calories & Protein because I was just trying to stay hydrated. That was a full time job!

My baby was 2 when I had my VSG & was done breastfeeding. However with my oldest ds, I went on a low calorie diet to try to lose weight & my milk supply suffered from it. I can't say with certainty that yours would do the same. But think about it...for the first few months post-op, your calorie intake will be extremely restricted.

I think if I were you, I'd wait until breastfeeding is either over or you have decided you will accept it if your supply dries up.

I'd look at it like this.

With a general anaesthetic surgery and post op pain medication, you're definitely going to have to pump and save milk to feed your baby while you pump and discard for a week or so.

Then you've got issues with eating barely anything, being in ketosis etc. You probably want to avoid ketosis whilst breastfeeding. Ketones do pass through in breast milk.

Now lots of people can express easily and have a bottle of milk for their baby in 10 minutes. Personally, I was a very good cow as long as it was taken directly from my breast, I could not express milk to save my life, not for any of my three. I simply could not get a letdown to occurr. I woudl work for 50 minutes for 50 mls of milk.

If it was me and I was having surgery, I would have to wean my baby, it's that simply. I could never express enough to feed a baby for a week and I couldnt express enough to keep my milk supply going in the post op period. It just wouldnt happen. I had to wean when I went back to work, it was all or nothign with me.

As long as you're prepared for that, and for the fact that you may simply not be able to produce sufficient milk on such a low calorie diet (everyone's different) then there's no reason not to go ahead. But if breastfeeding means everything to you, then you have to be realistic that you're taking a risk.

I was able to get in my Fluid w/o a problem after the first two days..... about 2 oz every 15 minutes.

I also discussed with my doctor. We took no pain meds that they would not give a c section patient (so that I could no have to dump the milk......same with the anethisia) it was different from the normal program....... I also took liquid tylenol with me and used this for the pain after the leak tests.

But I am not a big pain person anyways...... I just used my heating pad and bed buddy.

I also hate pumping...... but brought home 40 bag of milk.....and remember sitting under the dek at the South West Gate pumping cause there were no plugs in the bathroom and all the ret were out in the open!!!!

It might take a while and I have to eat about 1300 cals with more carbs which make my loss a little slower..... but it keeps going. I also lost with the band....... 130 lbs while breast feeding but my daughter was much older!

Just an update....I'm still breastfeeding with no problems, but the supply is lower than before. However, before I was pumping a lot of extra milk to freeze. Now, I just breastfeed and not have to worry about pumping. It is a challenge to get in all the fluids, but I seem to be getting enough in. I've lost 23lbs so far and am very happy with the results of the sleeve. My baby seems to be getting enough milk and I'm supplementing with frozen breastmilk and he's started on solids.

Im in the same boat, my baby is 10 months and I am still b/f, my band was romoved on novber 25th and I am scheduled to sleeve om December 23rd, I spoke with the anesthesiologist and as per hom just to pump and dump for 24 hours. My baby eats solids already and he just b/f for comfort.