Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling a little guilty...just rambling

I went in today for my 2 month check up with the surgeon. All seems well, I am down 50 lbs from the beginning of my pre-op diet.

Tonight I went to jazzercise and before class the instructor complemented me and asked how much I had lost. I was pretty excited to share with her because I've always been very open about my surgery and my weight (even before I started looking into wls surgery). Well, as we were sitting for an ab routine she asked if she could share my news. It took a moment for me to figure out what she was asking, but I eventually said sure and she announced the weight loss to the group. People clapped and I felt okay because most knew that I had the help of my sleeve tool.

She then must have remembered that another lady in the class had been losing weight and congratulated her too on her loss. The lady offered up that she was also down 50 lbs. I had never met this lady before (I just started back to class last month after a year absence). She was probably a little bigger than I was before I started losing this weight. I don't know why, but I just felt a little guilty. I smiled and clapped for her, but really felt like going up to her after class and sharing about my surgery. Not that I was thinking she should look into it or anything, I just thought she should know. I guess I kind of felt guilty for some reason.

Don't get me wrong, I do not think this is the "easy way out" necessarily, I've been very committed to changing my lifestyle and that takes a lot of work, but this has been much easier than any other time I have attempted to lose weight for a variety of reasons. Maybe it's just because both my brother in law and a good friend this week have mentioned how they are doing it "on their own." (My bil said this to my husband and my loving, wonderful husband had a few facts to share with him about my commitment, diet research statistics, and my new lifestyle.)

Anyway, not really much point for this post, I guess I wanted to get this off my chest.

I rarely tell anyone. I exercise daily for a couple hours at the gym so I don't feel guilty when people ask me how I keep my weight down.

Don't feel guilty, almost anybody can have WLS now, because it is so cheap in MX. WTG Dee Dee, CONGRATS!!!!

"both my brother in law and a good friend this week have mentioned how they are doing it "on their own." THAT would have ticked me off...but you know what, I cannot count how many times in my 62 years I "tried to do it on my own" and could not...so I need this sleeve if I am to live 20 more (happy active) years instead of 10 more (miserable) ones. don't look back!

Thanks for the great thoughts. I'm over my guilt now. Since I've been so open about my wls it was just unexpected that I would be in a situation like this. It's not that I'm obnoxious about announcing it, but like everything in my life, I pretty much share it all.

As for the comments, they really don't bother me at all (I teach middle school, it takes a lot to upset me:biggrin0:). I know I am not doing it on my own. I have this wonderful tool to help me. I also understand that each person has different life experiences that lead them to think and feel certain things. I actually think my bil and good friend can be successful doing the things they are doing due to their unique circumstances and will be there to support them however they need it.

Thanks again for reading and the feedback!