Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Depression After Gastric Sleeve Surgery

Since appetite supressants cause significand depression in most people, I am wondering if the supression of ghrelin will also cause the same? I agree with the post about the many reasons we may feel depressed after wsl but has anyone heard of the role of ghrelin on this?

Thanks

What was explained to me is that data shows a un-ignorable percentage (1 in 100,000 cases) of post-op depression leading to suicide, and that the depression results from a pre-op reliance on food as a mood changer. Since you no longer have the capacity and in many cases foods you could eat pre-op can no longer be tolerated by your new low volume stomach, that you have percentage chances of developing depression and thus one needs to take anti-depression med's for up to 1 year post-op. My prescription, which I had previously taken pre-op, is Celexa (citalopram) which works good for me. It can cause increase appetite, but I can get away with 1/2 of the 10mg pill per indication, and it keeps me from being depress all around, not just from lack of food to put into my mouth as per pre-op occasions that I did use food as a pick-me-up. So, be aware of the statistics for post-op depression and consult with your doctor about proper medication.

Ok, I really didn't think that I would ever have to post on here. Who was I kidding? I am going to be going into my 11th week post-op and I feel. Well, I guess I feel ok. My problem, I think that I can relate somewhat to how anorexics feel and I will explain of course. For some reason, when I eat, the little that I do, it feels heavy in my little stomach and I feel uncomfortable for anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. I cannot drink Protein shakes, they are nasty and no longer agree with me. Nothing I eat seems to go down well at first anyway. I no longer want to eat. It's just easier to avoid it altogether, at least until I start to feel the actual hunger kick in. Then I eat something, but it's always difficult to even think of something palatable (sp?).

I have suffered from depression for years and thankfully have not felt the same since surgery. Now that I am experiencing these issues, I am going through an entirely different kind of depression that I have never felt before. I just want to be normal, feel normal. I don't care if I cannot eat the quanitity of food that I used to, I really don't, but I do want to feel good after I do eat my smaller portions. Not sluggish and heavy. I have gone to my doctor (gp as I was self-pay in Mexico) and she is really trying to work with me to figure things out. I think I may be driving her crazy. I go for a barium swallow probably next week to see if there is a spot in my stomach that is too narrow to allow food through properly. My fear is that they will find nothing and I will not know what to do from there. I feel better having lost weight for sure, but this is not living I will tell you that much. I am not religious, but I pray every night for this to get resolved. That I did this for a good reason, to get healthy and live my life fully. I am more of a recluse than ever now. I don't want to go to my family's for dinner because it is just a struggle and I stay home from anything social wherever I can. If I didn't have to work, I wouldn't leave then either! I have posted on the boards and been told that this can be normal and talked to my patient liason who also said it was normal and could last up to 6 months. I just recently asked her to talk directly to the doctor and ask when I am actually supposed become concerned if this doesn't resolve itself. She is to get back to me tomorrow or Tuesday. People just have no idea what a struggle this is, both physically and mentally.

I am sick and tired of feeling sick and tired but felt I needed to get this out in writing.

Thanks for listening.:(

e

Read Psalms 83:18...first give direction to your prayers,you know who you are praying to,then the bible says in order for your prayers to work for you,you have to work with them,so when you pray you need to work with your prayers,start with some of your favorite Soups, juices,soft foods like peaches,and keep in mind this is a tool,not a quik fix and it will only help if you let it help you,the drs should have told you that you get that hunger gland removed when you have the procedure done,so you really have to make your self eat....start with some baby food if you have too....it may really help...I'm sorry you feel the way you do,just write and maybe we can help each other,I havnt had my surgery yet,its in June..I need to know what to downs how to gi it as well....thanks for posting you really helped me as to what to look for...........camille01

@Erin92 -- you sound like you are fitting the profile of post VSG depression. See your doctor and find a SSRI that agrees with you.

I had varying levels of depression my entire life, before the surgery. I went off my medication (Wellbutrin XL 300) before I had this surgery, was ok for about a month or so after, and then I had to go back on the medication. For the most part, I agree with many of the reasons people have expressed for depression after the surgery; however, a few things I would point out about this issue is that people sometimes cannot/do not identify symptoms of clinical depression they may have exhibited BEFORE the surgery. Because of this, once we unburden ourselves of the weight (or even just the fact that we will lose the weight, and it's not coming back), we are able to see these symptoms and issues for what they are; and, because of the many physical, psychological, social, and even cultural changes that may occur in our lives with this surgery, any one, or a combination of these things might bring on the symptoms and problems of depression. Let's face it, many of us may not have identified ourselves as "depressed" before the surgery, but really, we have to recognize that for a good many of us, the weight and issues around it may be a manifestation of depression/anxiety, or the inability to manage our weight might contribute to depression, etc. Really, I think all of these things in some way are likely interconnected, and it doesn't surprise me that many of us have depression or issues with anxiety/depression/etc, after the surgery.

In my case, I've had the sleeve for more than 15 months now, and yes, I am still on the Wellbutrin; it is likely I will need antidepressants for the rest of my life, which for me is far better than the depression itself. I must say, taking this medication now, in conjunction with having the burden of my weight starting to lift, and getting stasis in my lifestyle and routine after losing the weight, I know that I need this medication, that I needed the sleeve, and that I can keep both of these issues in check through modern science and medicine. I say thank gawd for that, and I will keep truckin' on!

Best to all in your journey! :)

I have had a very difficult time with depression. I am three weeks post op. This experience has been much more emotionally trying than I ever expected and I am so weary of the liquid diet, I could just cry. I have lost 23 lbs but felt that it was a small "reward" for the sacrafice. I found two things very helpful (1) remind myself of the postive things that have happened. For example I am taking no medications. I was previously taking medications for high blood pressure,sleep aids and I was on insulin for diabetes. All those issue resolved within a week of surgery. And my energy level is better than it has been in years. (2) Get out of the house. Going back to work was a lifesaver for me.

thanks so much for this post! I am starting a new support group next month and cannot wait! I believe you have to have an outlet for your frustrations, examining your loss (weight, comfort foods, friends?), etc..

My very good friend had vsg about three weeks ago and she is an emotional wreck. She cries constantly and just looks so sad and depressed. She is starting to worry me ALLOT! how can I help her? She is now at the point where she won't talk to me about anything. She just crys and has a blank look on her face. Will this pass? How or can I help her?

I'm certainly feeling some depression right now! Thanks for this post. I will be going to the support groups in hopes to feel much better about not being able to eat what I want. I wish I had more support at home but I will seek alternatives and becoming a member of this forum is a start. Sleeved 5/31/2011 and feel overwhelmed by not being able to eat.

I'm already being treated for depression. I've been on medication since January and I've been on leave from work since then as well because my depression was too severe to allow me to function. I've finally gotten a grasp on my illness and I do not relish the thought of WLS causing me to get to that place again. I hope that through continued counseling and medication a relapse will be prevented. Maybe I should look into some food addicts meetings...

Hi all, I was on prozac when I was overweight and menopausal (undiagnosed for some time) and i have always struggled with depression since my teens. These days this seems to have lifted and my mood is mostly reasonably upbeat. Losing the weight and now having some confidence in the stability of the solution has helped enormously, Ifeel though that you cannot properly evaluate the outcome in anything less than a 2 year window so the message is hang on in there people, it will probably get much, much better!

Love to all,

Jane x

Thanks Erin92. I am 14 weeks out and food makes me nauseous. Scans for problems negative.My surgeon thinks I'm unique. My GP thinks it's psychological. I too would just like to be able to eat a small piece of something without a stomach reaction. I'm starting to think the medical profession knows less about this operation than they make out. Fats oils Beans smoked salmon are worst. Even that taste of oil can cause nausea. That's why my surgeon thinks it's all in the mind. liquids are not too bad but I easily become averse to foods but even normal people have strong food preferences. I wish I could avoid eating altogether. They say time cures everything but then, they would say that, wouldn't they?

Anxiety! I was invited to a baby shower today and last minute made an excuse not to attend. I am four weeks post op and am having issues with being around food that I can't eat right now. I'm miserable.

Everywhere I turn I am made aware of food. In my home, on TV, going to the mall, at work. It is really driving me crazy. I never realized how much my life revolved around FOOD until after I got sleeved.

And the only thing I can really hold down at this point is apple sauce, eggs and chicken salad. Ugh! I'm so FRUSTRATED.

Thanks Erin92. I am 14 weeks out and food makes me nauseous. Scans for problems negative.My surgeon thinks I'm unique. My GP thinks it's psychological. I too would just like to be able to eat a small piece of something without a stomach reaction. I'm starting to think the medical profession knows less about this operation than they make out. Fats oils Beans smoked salmon are worst. Even that taste of oil can cause nausea. That's why my surgeon thinks it's all in the mind. Liquids are not too bad but I easily become averse to foods but even normal people have strong food preferences. I wish I could avoid eating altogether. They say time cures everything but then, they would say that, wouldn't they?

Was glad to see your post about how some things make you nauseated. (I mean, I'm sorry that you get nauseated, but thanks for sharing!) Some smells REALLY bother me, like scented candles! Weird, Huh? My hubbie keeps lighting a scented candle in the kitchen, and I finally told him I CAN"T STAND THE SMELL OF THAT CANDLE, IT MAKES ME NAUSEATED! He was so sorry, and I felt bad for yelling at him, but right now I need to eat and can't afford to be naueated by certain smells if I can avoid them! If I didn't know better, I would think I was pregnant. With all my pregnancies I had smells that really bothered me (dryer sheets! candles, greasy food, etc.) But at 62 I don't think pregnancy is a concern! HaHa! I do hope that you get over this phase soon! I keep telling myself that Time Heals Everything. (I just hope it is true!) But seriously, will keep you in my prayers!

KathyD49